The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd really like to get better at gunsmithing but I don't have any broken guns. Any opinions on where a source might be to find a few, besides craigslist? I don't really care what kind.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I'd really like to get better at gunsmithing but I don't have any broken guns. Any opinions on where a source might be to find a few, besides craigslist? I don't really care what kind.
Buying broken guns to tinker on has gotten harder and harder. I used to find them fairly easily and cheaply. But not so much anymore. Thanks to the good ole internet.
Now day's info on old guns value, disassembly, reassembly, parts schematics etc is at your fingertips. And more and more people are researching their broken guns. And attempting to home fix them. Or instead of selling the guns to parts vendors for pennies on the dollar, break them down and sell the parts themselves at market value.
It's gotten bad enough that I've pretty much given up.
But if still want to try, I found gunshows & flea markets to be my best source. After that was online gun auctions. But on those the shipping & FFL kills any idea of buying cheap.

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
Check with pawn shops for one. Gun auction sites are another good location.

·
Premium Member
9,586 Posts
You don't need broken guns to learn.
Look at all the disassembly videos on you-tube.
Read all the stuff you can find about guns.
Take some courses to learn.
Mike

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
But Goofy - it's much more fun when you fix a broken one then it goes BANG like it should :D

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
The broken ones dont always help when you dont know what they need to make them right.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
With the firearms you do own, have a schematic to each one and learn how to totally
disassemble each one. They can always use a good, through cleaning, re oiling anyways.

And a big +1 to what Goofy posted.

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
mjs1982:

I recommend the AGI assembly/disassembly videos. If you listen closely a lot of good hints are thrown in without fanfare. Then there are the specific AGI Gunsmithing courses including the huge Master Gunsmithing course that includes gun theory as well as practical education. The price is very high but it is equivalent to what you might get at a two year resident gunsmithing specific school. It includes testing and certification that is recognized in the industry.

AGI also offer a club with a monthly digital magazine. It always has gunsmithing articles and tool reviews as well as a monthly assembly/disassembly of a gun not covered in the popular assembly/disassembly video that they sell individually. They also do bench reviews of a current new gun.

There is a lot to offer from AGI. It is done by several good gunsmiths including Bob Dunlap that was the director and instructor for decades at a gunsmithing school at a local Junior College in northern California.

LDBennett

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is all great advice guys. I appreciate it. I live in a small town so gun shows don't happen much but there are a few pawn shops and some flea markets that I'll check out. I think disassembling a reassembling some of the guns I have already would at least be good practice and would make me more familiar with each part and piece. Thanks again for all the input.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I just tell people that I am a hobby gunsmith and that I do one free job for everybody. You will be astonished at how many jobs will come out of closets.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts