Wards Western Field

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Manofwar, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Manofwar

Manofwar New Member

Hi all just recently bought this pretty cool .308 but cant find out much about it on the net maybe you guys can help me also tryn to figure out if I paid to much for it. Its a Montgomery Wards Western Field Model EJN 757 anyone ever herd of one of these?

2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Your rifle does not have an American counterpart. Both Sears and Wards had FN Mauser actions barreled and stocked for sale in their retail stores. Sears used High Standard to barrel and stock their version of these rifles. I'm not sure who barreled and stocked Wards rifles.( I know , but I just can't remember , it also was one of the standard U.S. arms makers.) I've heard these rifles both praised and dammed, Now having owned one I can't say one way or the other.

3. Manofwar

Manofwar New Member

so if no American counterpart does it have an international counterpart and how hard is it gonna be to obtain parts if something breaks?

4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Don't know, it has a basic Mauser action and they are fairly common. Best I can do. and no it doesn't have a international counterpart. They were made only for Sears and Wards, not for overseas sales. Let me add a little more information, Most retail stores house brands, lets pick on Sears because everyone knows about their J C Higgins brand, are made by standard arms makers suh as Savage, Winchester, Marlin and so on. A Sears or J C Higgins Model 583.20 is in fact a High Standard Flight King 200. In the case of your rifle, it was not built by a major arms compjany. it was built only for sale, in your case, by Wards, hence, it has no American counterpart.-

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  5. Manofwar

Manofwar New Member

huh cool so i got it for 250.00 do think i paid to much or was the price bout right?

6. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

That sounds about right for a good 308. You should get years of good service out of it. Good Luck and shoot safe.

7. Manofwar

Manofwar New Member

cool thanx for all the info!