The Firearms Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just handed down a 1911 that's been in my family and I was interested in when it was manufactured. If someone wants to give value that is fine too but not really interested since I never plan on selling. I noticed that it says Patented Dec 19, 1905, Feb 14, 1911, Aug 19, 1913. So I was guessing after 1913 but when I looked up the SN and it says No 10734 which said 1912 but that's all I could find. Could someone help me figure this out. I have posted photos if that helps

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,165 Posts
Welcome from Sitka, Alaska. Remington Arms UMC produced M1911 s/n 10734 in 1918. Their production run for 1918 was s/n 1 thru 13381. Colt's 1912 production run of M1911s was s/n 10501 thru 11500. Hope that helps. Great piece of history you have there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome from Sitka, Alaska. Remington Arms UMC produced M1911 s/n 10734 in 1918. Their production run for 1918 was s/n 1 thru 13381. Colt's 1912 production run of M1911s was s/n 10501 thru 11500. Hope that helps. Great piece of history you have there.
Thanks Yes, any bit of help is awesome. I appreciate your knowledge.

·
Deer Stalker
6,200 Posts
Re: Value. Any colt that old, even with unmatching slide if that were the case, is worth $500 or more. If it's a matching number arsenal rebuild, $800 or more.

·
Registered
9,849 Posts
Perhaps an arsenel rebuild with a Colt frame and Remington slide?
The font used for the "NO" preceding the serial looks like Remington's rather than Colt's.

Didn't Colt use the little underscored "O"?

Reactions: xxmewstarxx

·
Deer Stalker
6,200 Posts
Grizz. I am no colt expert (except the Colts I own.. :) ) but Yes, Colt used little underscored "o".
Looks like this specimen also has the correct P Barrel it should have a P on the barrel lug too.

The inspector's code E.E.C: Edmund E. Chapman Remington UMC ranged from S/N 1-21676.
check the inspectors stamp under the hammer. Any and all markings help identify the pistol.

Also, 1918 is minimum age this Colt would be. Production ended in 1919 for the UMC Remington ended in 1919, so this would be very collectible if all matches.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate everyone's expertise on this. I know it does say Remington on it. But I was very confused when I would put 1911 manufacture dates from SN into the search engine every result was colt and then it said 1912 as the date. I knew that couldn't be right because of the patent dates. This was my main reason I reached out to those who would know more than I. Already learning a lot. I will put up more pictures this weekend when I get back in town. And I will try to find all the markings on the pistol.

·
Premium Member
13,165 Posts
I appreciate everyone's expertise on this. I know it does say Remington on it. But I was very confused when I would put 1911 manufacture dates from SN into the search engine every result was colt and then it said 1912 as the date. I knew that couldn't be right because of the patent dates. This was my main reason I reached out to those who would know more than I. Already learning a lot. I will put up more pictures this weekend when I get back in town. And I will try to find all the markings on the pistol.
If memory serves me, M1911s and perhaps some M1911A1s had their serial number's last several digits stamped on the back of the slide underneath the firing pin's stop plate. Lock the slide open, depress the firing pin so it's below the surface of the firing pin stop, slide the stop downward (be ready for the firing pin - it's under mild return spring pressure), then ease the stop off the slide, slide the firing pin out and take a look at the area the firing pin's stop had occupied. If numbers there match the last several digits of the frame's s/n you have yourself a Remington Arms UMC original.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.