The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read that you should make sure all your rounds will feed and eject properly (semi auto pistol in this case). So i loaded a magazine with 10 rounds and commenced to chambering and ejecting using the slide. They were all successful but I noticed scratches on all the cases, running the length of the case and in one instance even the bullet was scratched. I repeated the test using 5 commercial rounds and found they too had minor scratches, but not as pronounces as my rounds. Is this a problem with my pistol (SW40F) or my rounds?

·
TFF Chaplain
20,419 Posts
Can you post pictures?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah but I'm not at home right now to do so. Just picture a 40 case with a scratch all the way down it lol

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Probably scratches from either the magazine feed lips or the ramp leading into the chamber.
But...as BE posted, we really need to see a picture of the scratches to even consider pinpointing a cause. It might've been caused by a dirty ammo box. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The ammo box is brand new. But your explanation of the mag sounds like it might be right. Two of my mags are pretty new. I tried getting a pic of it but couldn't get it to come out right. They're not deep gouges but light scratches

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have read that you should make sure all your rounds will feed and eject properly (semi auto pistol in this case). So i loaded a magazine with 10 rounds and commenced to chambering and ejecting using the slide.
I believe that this test is to be done by actually firing the gun to see if the charge is signifigent to cycle. Too weak of a charge will cause stove piping of the spent brass.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
normal, semi autos generally scratch up brass pretty good; even doing a press check in my glock will cause scratches, I've gotten in the habit of dropping the mag, then doing my press check, and re-inserting the mag.

Unless they're deep, I wouldn't worry much.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Upon further examination, they are definitely from the top of the magazine, and not too deep. I couldn't even get a good picture of it. And thanks for the clarification on the cycling test, I feel really dumb now lol.

·
Premium Member
3,922 Posts
Cowboy don't ever feel dumb about asking a question. One of the great things about this forum is that people are not put down when they are asking questions. We were all new at this hobby/sport/addiction at the start and we all still have questions at times. The hard part is getting both sides to have a clear idea of just what the problem is and this gets hard at times.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
the feed lips on many of my mags will leave lines down the brass when it loads it into the chamber. extractros usually leave a mark too.

once brass has been fed and ejected a few times it's all over ( marked up ).. :)

·
TFF Chaplain
20,419 Posts
Cowboy don't ever feel dumb about asking a question. One of the great things about this forum is that people are not put down when they are asking questions. We were all new at this hobby/sport/addiction at the start and we all still have questions at times. The hard part is getting both sides to have a clear idea of just what the problem is and this gets hard at times.
:yeahthat:

As far as I'm concerned, the only dumb question is an unasked question. It's always better to ask and be safe than to not ask and have a tragic accident. Besides; we love to show off our knowledge. ;):rolleyes::p:halo:

But even better, we get to learn from each other.

·
Banned
548 Posts
i have gotten inot the habit of looking any new mags over and just touching up the feed lips when they have the sharp feel and smoothing them up to avoid the damage to the brass. nothing major but make them smooth to the feel.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Upon further examination, they are definitely from the top of the magazine, and not too deep. I couldn't even get a good picture of it. And thanks for the clarification on the cycling test, I feel really dumb now lol.
You done right. Hand cycling may be frowned upon by some (loading a gun while not at the range). but I have done it. Most fellers will make up dummies; everything the same as a reload w/o powder and primers, to test for fit/feeding...

·
Registered
1 Posts
You done right. Hand cycling may be frowned upon by some (loading a gun while not at the range). but I have done it. Most fellers will make up dummies; everything the same as a reload w/o powder and primers, to test for fit/feeding...
I bought a Impact Bullet Puller thinking I might never use it. But got it because it was in-stock and I though, better get it while it's available.

Turns out I've used it many times. Testing "blanks" mostly. No primers or powder.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ps I tested 2 recipes at the range yesterday. The first was crap - it shot everywhere. The second was definitely a keeper though. I haven't shot that good in a long time

1 - 16 of 16 Posts