The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was itching to get my hands on a 44 mag, finally did and was pleasantly surprised to find that the recoil was nowhere close to what everybody had made it up to be. Shooting Fiochii 240 gr. Not sure if this is a "light" round for 44 mag, or if I am just not effected too much by recoil.
Anyway seemed interesting, since most people I talked to leaned toward the 44 mag breaking my wrists and leaving me wishing I hadn't shot it.

Just wondering what your thoughts were....

Thanks

·
Registered
429 Posts
Was itching to get my hands on a 44 mag, finally did and was pleasantly surprised to find that the recoil was nowhere close to what everybody had made it up to be.
What model/brand did you get?

Shooting Fiochii 240 gr. Not sure if this is a "light" round for 44 mag, or if I am just not effected too much by recoil.
Factory 'magnum' ammo is not what it used to be - nor is most any factory ammo for guns that are starting to get 'long' in age!

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Way back when I was dating my wife (we've been married 37 years), we were down on the Sabine river, where they have oil derricks out over the river. We had a bunch of old bottles we would throw upriver, and shoot them as they floated past. She was shooting a Ruger standard model, 22 LR and I had my Super Blackhawk 44 Magnum. She'd shoot, pop pop pop. Then WHAM, I would let loose with the 44. After a while, she said she wanted to try the 44. I told her to use both hands, showed her not to place her hand under the cylinder gap, keep a firm grip but don't overly tense up, and whatever else she did, don't drop it in the river, because she would have to go after it. After she shot it, she told me it was a good thing I told her that, or she would have dropped it.

I never thought the 44 Magnum was all that bad in recoil, but it is loud. I actually think that a lot of people are more affected by the noise and blast than the recoil. I have 3, a S&W 629-3, a Ruger Vaquero and the Super Blackhawk. Almost forgot my Marlin lever action carbine.

·
Registered
402 Posts
For me it depended on the gun...my first Magnum was a Ruger Security Six .357 Mag and thought the recoil was 'hot' but not bad...then came my 'real' hunting handgun a Ruger Blackhawk in .41 Mag. and it wasn't what I would have called 'heavy' then I acquired another Ruger ..a Super Blackhawk .44 Mag...didn't think it at all musch worse then the .41...the single action frame results in more muzzle lift less felt recoil IMO...then 10 yrs ago or so while hunting with a group I had the opportunity to shoot the .454 Casul and the .460 S&W ...now that will make a believer out of you for recoil in a handgun...

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
My only .44 Magnum is a Taurus Tracker 6.5" in .44. It's not a brutal shooter, but placement of your middle finger knuckle is something to pay attention to while shooting. The trigger guard can bump that middle knuckle pretty hard if not positioned correctly. I added a 2-6 x 32 scope for mine and it shoots MUCH more tamely with the added weight. I like the caliber!

·
Registered
963 Posts
I have a Ruger Redhawk in .44 mag and I shoot it one handed with 240gr rounds. Very seldom do I shoot any gun two-handed, I am not sure why but I have always shot handguns one handed and both eyes open...JM2C

Reactions: Sawwhetx

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
They bark pretty good with hot hand loads but nothing you can't handle and even enjoy. Some factory stuff does seem milder. Just be careful if you shoot yours while leaning up against a tree and resting your hand and gun against it. It will blow the bark in your face and maybe in your eyes.

My first was a Super Blackhawk which I sold. Then a Redhawk which I also sold. Last one was SBH Hunter with a scope which I hunted with and always enjoyed. Finally sold it also after I figured I wouldn't hunt with it any longer and used the money for concealed carry stuff. Crazy thing is I'd traded a really nice pinned 3" 36 for the Ruger to go hunting. Now I wish I had it back.

Those 29s are really nice. The local police chief let my borrow his the first year Illinois allowed handguns for deer and before I came up with one. A friend had one in .41 which was also fun to shoot.

·
Premium Member
15,423 Posts
Shot a Ruger SBH for a few years in Hunter Pistol silhouette, killed a couple deer with it. Not something I take out for a couple hundred rounds but doable for a 40 round string in a match with 24 gr.s of H-110 and a 240 gr. jacketed flat nose bullet. A Contender in 45-70 with 500 gr. bullets.....it has some recoil. I never owned one and never will but a friend I used to hunt with did and we'd play with it. Both those events were 25-30 years ago. These days I'm perfectly happy with my 45 Colt or 44 Spl. with standard weight bullets at 900-1000 fps. They do anything I need done.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I own a Taurus M44 and I've never thought the recoil was all that bad, even shooting hot reloads. The worst recoil I've ever felt was from a S & W 640-1 with a 2 in barrel shooting 357 Magnums. I could only deal with shooting 5 rounds and then I had to quit and switch over to 38 Specials.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Ruger Super Blackhawk 44mag, paired up with a Ruger .44mag semi-auto Carbine here.

Shoot, I don't even think my Mosin Nagant Carbines kick bad. Single shot 12ga's are worse.

·
Registered
416 Posts
First handgun I ever bought was a SBH. Loved it. Took deer, hogs and many, many cans with it.

My son was 11, he had shot everything, including my 7mmRemMag, except the SBH.

On the range, at deer camp, he comes up and takes the SBH out of my holster. Glances up and i say nothing. He takes a Dirty Harry, one handed stance and takes aim. Fires the shot, hits the can, puts SBH back in my holster.

I say, just one shot?

He is rubbing his hand, " I hit the can, that's all I need. "

He didn't shoot it again, for 20 years. He wasn't upset when I sold it.

Recoil is manageable, but can be unpleasant for some.
Loud? Nothing like a Blackhawk .30 Carbine.
THAT is loud.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
"Loud? Nothing like a Blackhawk .30 Carbine.THAT is loud."

Always heard that about the .30 Carbine handguns. Ever been near a Mosin Nagant Carbine going off?

THAT's LOUD.

Several private shooting ranges in my little holler. All friends. People start calling my cell phone, "What are you shooting? A 50 Cal.?" "Can I come over?"

"What? I can't hear you. What?" 😂

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
"Loud? Nothing like a Blackhawk .30 Carbine.THAT is loud."

Always heard that about the .30 Carbine handguns. Ever been near a Mosin Nagant Carbine going off?

THAT's LOUD.

Several private shooting ranges in my little holler. All friends. People start calling my cell phone, "What are you shooting? A 50 Cal.?" "Can I come over?"

"What? I can't hear you. What?" ?
The MN may or may not be actually louder than the 30 carbine pistol down range but I Guarantee it is louder at the shooters ear. Short barrel, cylinder gap, rifle powder in a pistol........the trifecta of hearing loss :oops:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Indoor range, 9 shooter with their pew pew 9mm. I am on the far end, testing several brands of .22LR, to see what my Single Six likes best.

Guy in lane on my left decides to shoot his 29, with full bore mags.

Not conducive to my grouping .22s. So, I get out the .30 Carbine. First shot and he looks around the divider, " what in **** is that cannon? "

Only MN I have been around was a sniper model. Didn't think it any different than a .30-06.

I had a 7mmMag with a muzzle brake. It would clear the benches, at the rifle range.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts