The Firearms Forum banner

Watch a Gun Hit Its Tiny Target More Than a Half Mile Away

948 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  raven818 
#1 ·
The target: a two-inch or so sticker on a five-inch phone. The distance: 1,123 yards.

Did TrackingPoint's precision-guided rifle system, which claims to make it nearly impossible to miss, make the hit? Sure did.

Featured on the firearm savvy YouTube site RatedRR, the host conducted this "slow-mo torture test" on an HTC One M8 from more than a half a mile away. The tactical rifle system that gives real-time ballistics info and shooter point-of-view video was, in part, behind the success of hitting this tiny target.

RatedRR said that the system could have helped a shooter who needs a bit of assistance hit a target up to 1,200 yards away.

Watch the target practice video, which includes other abuse to see what the phone can withstand:
To put this distance into perspective, the average military sniper is said to be able to hit a target about 1,200 yards away at night thanks to technological advancements and training.

#5 ·
I would have thought the scope was at least half of that.
Actually, it's the scope, the computer and the rifle. I was watching some info on these rifles. Their 'cheap' model is 17 grand with their 'high end' model being close to 21 grand. Mostly people buy the higher priced one.

You put the dot on the target, squeeze the trigger, then you might wait 4 or 5 seconds before the rifle actually fires. The computer calculates pretty much everything known to man including sunspots or some such. It does a laser ranging to the target, tracks movement of the target and bullet drop and probably wind shear for that matter. Calculates where the target will be after the bullet has traveled that far, adjusts the sighting for all that stuff, then it fires the rifle.

I'm old school. When I squeeze the trigger, I want it to go BANG. Not 5 seconds later. :)

#6 ·
You put the dot on the target, squeeze the trigger, then you might wait 4 or 5 seconds before the rifle actually fires. The computer calculates pretty much everything known to man including sunspots or some such. It does a laser ranging to the target, tracks movement of the target and bullet drop and probably wind shear for that matter. Calculates where the target will be after the bullet has traveled that far, adjusts the sighting for all that stuff, then it fires the rifle.

:)
Ohhhh. that's almost as good as a Penthouse magazine...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.