WATCHING OLD MOVIES DURING SHUT-IN...

Discussion in 'Vietnam Memories Forum' started by rooter, Jun 29, 2020.

1. rooter

rooter *VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff* Supporting Member

Good Afternoon all you busy and occupied folks...getting up early in the morning as
    I do, these shut-in type days sure tend to drag...This morning something was mentioned
    about guns and crime and I remembered and old movie with the title THE QUICK AND
    THE DEAD ...The cast of characters included a Hollywood Gene Hackman and a beauty
    named Sharon Stone... My wife helped me get it running on the TV and how to turn
    the thing off if need be...Sure a long and tangled web type movie....The cast of characters
    were or seemed to be fitting for their roles...Lady Sharon Stone was never dressed
    fitting for the true life person made up to be... I've watched better, more time consuming
    TV movies...one I think of is Jerimiah Johnson with Robert Redford..Chief

About 289,000,000 results (1.17 seconds)

Search Results
    Web results

The Quick and the Dead (1995 film) - Wikipedia
    en.wikipedia.org › wiki › The_Quick_and_the_Dead_(...

The Quick and the Dead is a 1995 American revisionist western film directed by Sam Raimi, and starring Sharon Stone, Gene Hackman, Russell Crowe and ...

Alaska444 and shootbrownelk like this.
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

Nothing to do with being shut in, but I watch a lot of movies or documentaries on my computer in the evenings. I have been doing that for a year or so. I am in the middle of an old HBO mini series called "The Pacific" that I put on DVD when it was new. I just finished watching part 4 of it and have 6 more episodes to watch, one episode each evening. When I finish this one I will watch "The band of Brothers" again.

3. 2A-Jay

2A-Jay Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have a Roku device on my TV in the loft. I also have a Bluray plyer attached to the same TV. I havemost of my favorite movies on DVD A lot of John Wayne and others from the 40's 50's and 60's. I even have old Cartoon series that I enjoy (No Sponge Bob) I love watching Popeye, Betty Boop, and many more.

sharps4590 and Alaska444 like this.
  4. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

I do have one of those Roku things on the television where my wife watches her Korean TV. I also have one of those Fire Sticks on "my" television. I very very seldom even turn those devices on.

rooter, Alaska444 and shootbrownelk like this.
  5. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Gunsmoke is my favorite. I can watch it almost all day. I am watching it right now. I have seen some of these episodes 10 times or more but I still like them. They ran over 600 episodes and I think I have seen them all multiple times.

Alaska444 and shootbrownelk like this.
  6. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member Supporting Member

TCM has been my go to channel for yrs. They sure don't make 'em like they used to. Today, for a change, I watched about 6 hrs of "How the universe works". I finally gave up when they started talking about time travel.
    Occasionally , there is a good movie on another station, which I record for playback at a later time when I can FF through the commercials. If I am forced to waste my time watching an ad for something I don't need or want, I try to remember not to buy that brand if I find a need for it some other time. I'm protesting with my wallet. So far, it hasn't changed any thing. Maybe it's time to try burning & looting. I can always try to occupy a TV Studio.

Shooter45, sharps4590 and Alaska444 like this.
  7. Alaska444

Alaska444 Well-Known Member

Shut in, nope, I am a shut out instead. Idaho is open and everyone is out and about. Me, with my renal disease, I stay home and shut it out as best I can. Probably won't be able to avoid it forever especially with 65 new cases today alone only 72 the entire first 3 months.

We got rid of Spectrum Cable almost a year ago when they increased our bill from about $120 to $i80.

We are watching Roku right now watching "Wish you well." seems like we saw it once way back sometime. We watched Shackleton on Blue Ray last night. It is hard to find good quality movies any longer that are filled with all the things TFF won't allow.

Ya'al stay safe while you are shut in or shutting out.

8. rooter

rooter *VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff* Supporting Member

Good Morning Sir...I was kind of certain my wife was so unusual for the Korean things she
    watches and the videos she actually has to fill the bill...I watch occasionally with her and
    marvel at the costumes and scenery used...continued things that seem to last forever...
    She kind of giggles when I ask her to post an old movie as I did yesterday with THE QUICK
    AND THE DEAD...earlier I had her do LONESOME DOVE.....To each his own! Chief

Gun Geezer likes this.
  9. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

TCM or Amazon Prime. I do enjoy a couple of the car reality shows and once in a while American Pickers and Antique Roadshow. The History Channel ain't history anymore and hasn't been since "Ice Road Truckers". For over 300 channels there sure isn't much fit to watch. The hunting and fishing shows are a joke...and often an insult. Only three things I really miss are Cardinal baseball and Vintage sports car and Formula 1 racing.

10. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

Funny you say that; I've been watching these on Historys you-tube channel the past couple of days.

11. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I forgot a favorite, DYI's Holmes. The man is an outstanding human being not to mention an extremely knowledgeable, skilled & dedicated craftsman. To bad he has to be Canadian. No offense to our northern neighbors. I guess living in FL, I've met all the bad Snowbirds from across the border trying to save a nickel on their heating bill & everything else.