Watching the Country? Music Awards---my thoughts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jedwil, Nov 8, 2017.

1. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

2. Conman

Conman Well-Known Member

I gave up on the Mutual Pat On The Back awards decades ago. It seemed there was a new one every month - for something or other. All my life I was a country music guy..........I haven't heard anything good for 10-20 years. Randy Travis, George Strait and Alan Jackson were the last good ones that came along. Then some group called The Kentucky Headhunters(?) were around for a year or so (thank goodness). I don't listen to any of the current crowd! Guess I'm just getting too old for drastic change!!

Gun Geezer, flagxj, jbmid1 and 5 others like this.

3. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member

I might try to watch a little tonite. See how it goes.

dbcooper likes this.
  4. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My wife insisted....

5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

There was a time that I would never miss the CMA award show. In the past few years, most of the real country music entertainers have died off and look what we have taking their place. They are not worth watching even though I do still listen to what is called country music. Every once in a while the station I listen to does play some of what they call "oldies", I just call it real country music.

6. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Didn't waste my time to watch the strange clothing and haircuts/hair styles or listen to what isn't country music and the mutual admiration society.

Gun Geezer, joe45c, PRR1957 and 2 others like this.
  7. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member Supporting Member

the only part of any award shows I see is what the news might show on a clip

I do not care about anyone, sports, acting or music, getting any award especially since it seems that most of it has become a place to spew liberal comments

Gun Geezer, joe45c, PRR1957 and 4 others like this.
  8. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

Now wait a minute . Strange cloths and hair style were very popular over the years to on country music . Nothing much weirder than Porter Wagoners clothing or Dolly's world of many wigs and hair spray was a bought by the case for most of Nashville crowd during the "early " years . Even the suit and tie era seemed about as odd as anything . Dean Martin or Frank Sinatra yea but country , nope .

But I will say I grew up listening to CW music in the late '60's and 70's and some select rock and southern rock but buy the late '80's Nashville started to twist entertainers into what they wanted them to be and sing only what they wanted them to and I find darn few today have anything worth following for more than a couple songs . And auto tune has taken people that simply can't sing and made starts out of them .

One that I like for now is Chris Stapleton but he's the rare newbee with a old sound . There are great new country singers but they just don't fit in with todays cookie cutter record label idea of what a "star " is so they and the older classic singers just don't get air time .

I find my self listing more to Blues , older jazz or or big band when I can find the right time slot than anything else on the radio . I don't care to take the time to pick thru the occasional tune to down loading it so in the vehicle I listen to XM and if home I'll put on the ole vinyl and listen thru a vacuum tube system that to me sounds better than todays CD's or down loads .

I did ask a daughter to call when PINK! was on as I did want to her the song she did . I find some of her more current her songs tell a good story most times and she does her music her way and she can sing unlike sooo many of Nashville trash .

joe45c and PRR1957 like this.
  9. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan Active Member

Pop fans won't pay for music. They just burn it to an MP3 player. Country fans are about the only ones left who will buy music, so if you want to sell music... Thus country pop was invented.

joe45c and PRR1957 like this.
  10. PRR1957

PRR1957 Well-Known Member

Being a musician and musical composer of many genres and styles, I find most of modern music to be uninteresting and boring because there is a sameness to it all. It doesn't matter the genres. Every once in a while I'll hear something that is truly original, but that is far and few. I myself compose many a song that after listening for a while, I will discard and abandon it. Whit only 12 notes in the western scale, it is very hard to be original any more. As a side note, I mostly compose instrumental music.

11. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

The "early years" of country music goes back to the 1920's and 30's. Long before Porter & Dolly were ever heard of. "Big Hair" was only popular pretty much across the nation for 15-20 years during the 60's and 70's and even into the early to mid-80's so Dolly and her wigs were...well, part of Dolly. She still wears wigs. I was more referring to the haircuts of several of the guys. I'll concede the decorated suits of country music and that goes back to Hank Sr. if not earlier. Hank had his notes and Webb Pierce had his spider webs again, long before Porter had his wagon wheels. At least they were nice suits to begin with and weren't ripped to shreds. I'll stand by my comments.

Sammy & Dean both had better voices than Frank who was a selfish, spoiled brat. I never did get the entire Frank Sinatra aura. He was a very good vocalist and his popularity can't be denied especially when teamed with Nelson Riddle. THAT was and remains excellent music! The quality of his voice wasn't near Sammy's, Deans, Jim Reeves, Ray Price, Dick Haymes or either of the Eberly brothers. While it might not be "apples to apples" Frank can't be put in the same league as Jo Stafford, Helen Forrest or Helen O'Connel, (especially Helen O'Connel's dimples...:D), and is/was light years beneath Vera Lynn. Frank's strengths were enunciation, phrasing and to a lesser extent interpretation. I don't know that anyone enunciated better than Frank and among male singers only Bobby Darrin could match his phrasing. Interpretation...well, that's sort of subjective to begin with but I thought he was good at it.

When country music became extinct I reverted to the era of big band/swing music and have accumulated a bit of a library both on vinyl and CD's. It would be great if that kind of music would make a come back but sort of in line with what PRR1957 with the sort of limitations of western music construction I suspect it's perhaps been exhausted. I still play music out and mostly do classics from the 30's, 40's and 50's, especially the war years, and if a fella learns about 30 of the big hits of that era the redundancy becomes obvious. At least they mixed clever key and tempo changes, intro's and outro's, instrumentals and the music flowed, leading one ever forward. If one doubts that give a listen to the introduction of Glenn Miller's "I've Got a Gal In Kalamazoo". It wasn't the chopped up, 3, 4 and 5 chord meanderings of most of today's music.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  12. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

thank God for Amazon Music on my iPad at work. I can be found listening to Waylon, George Jones, DAC stations or the like. Jerry Reed is really growing on me. Then to make it interesting I toss in "Russian Folk" music

13. Twicepop

Twicepop Well-Known Member

I don't listen to a lot of music these days, the local/regional radio station are stuck in a time warp and still play the same crap I've listened to for the last 45 years. The really local stations only play the B/S that's trying to be passed off as "Country Music", no classic country, just redneck pop. Most of my radio time is spent listening to the likes of Brian Killmead, Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity with the occasional Mark Levin thrown in.

PRR1957 and Jack Ryan like this.
  14. zkovach

zkovach Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I don’t watch any award shows, there’s one everyday and don’t care about their political speeches or beliefs....

PRR1957 likes this.
  15. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

I've heard it said that a person's musical generation is whatever was being played during the years between his/her age of 12 to 25. That is certainly true for my tastes. My parents was in the 30's & 40's. My kids the 80's & 90's. That's not to say I don't enjoy an occasional smash hit or two in any generation, if it has good music, intelligent & intelligible lyrics & base boost that doesn't contribute to cardiac arrhythmia.
    Many Country stars were crossovers from rock & roll or pop & vice-versa. Much of the new stuff is merely strobe lights, smoke & fog interrupted by noise with a beat. I'll take the 50's any day!

sharps4590 likes this.