The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Full disclosure: I do not own any guns other than the one I am about to show you, which I do intend to sell after I figure out just what I have. I fully support every law abiding, mentally healthy citizen’s right to own and use their weapons. But, I’m just not interested in possessing one myself at this time.

I have happened upon a very old revolver, and am hoping someone could tell me more about it. Please see the pictures I have included, and I will do my best to describe it and state what I have been able to find out about it.

Obviously, the wooden handle on this piece has been changed, and not very well. There is a couple screws missing. The trigger spring has broken or come disconnected. And a piece of the frame which connects the handle to it is broken. So, I understand we are not talking museum quality here. However, because of it’s age, I do believe this would be of interest to some collectors.

This gun is a 5 shot double action only spurless hammer, percussion revolver. It has an octagon shaped barrel. On the right side of the gun it is embossed with the words “Adams Patent” followed by some numbers which I cannot make out with confidence. The left side of the gun has an “Adams Patent” marking as well which is shaped like an oval around the date of 1851.

The cylinder is marked with the numbers 4880 and proof marks of a crown over top of the letter “D”. This crown over a D is on the cylinder many times actually, and can be found other places on the gun as well.

There is a number 13 on the right hand side of the frame just in front of the cylinder.

The top of the barrel is marked “Manufd by D Duly & Legally Licensed”.

Of course, I looked up Adams Patent revolver online and found out several interesting things about Robert Adams and hence this type of revolver. But I cannot narrow this gun down to where it falls on the evolutionary scale.

I have found several pictures of guns that look rather similar, but not really close enough to be satisfied. The gun I have just seems to be older than any of the pictures I have found, as my gun does not have a pin of any kind that would have been under the barrel, and gone through the cylinder. I cannot find another picture of a gun without this pin, in one form or another. And all the pictures I do find, appear to be of improvements on this design.

Also, I have found a couple of guns that were sold online with the markings “Manufd by C. D. Duly & Legally Licensed”, but my gun does not have the letter “C”. It is merely marked “Manufd by D Duly & Legally Licensed”. I can find absolutely no information regarding a D. Duly, a C. D. Duly, a Duly manufacturing, Duly listed as a British gun manufacturer in the 1850’s or any other information on this company.

As I said, I intend to eventually sell this piece, as it’s quite beautiful actually, and I believe some collector would cherish it much more than I would. I’m hoping that someone here can tell me a little more about it, and enlighten me as to it’s value to a collector.

Sorry for the long post, I’m just rather ignorant in this area, and wanted to give as much information as I could.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Welcome to TFF.

In addition to the crude replacement grip, your Adams appears to have had the hammer nose broken off or removed.
It is also missing the original cylinder pin and its retaining spring, which was attached at the vacant holes on right front side, and the spring safety that was attached on left rear side

Below is a rather poor pic from Boothroyd's "The Handgun" showing above parts.

Boothroyd's "British Gunmakers" does not list any Duly, but I believe many different makers made Adams Patent revolvers.

Value in condition shown would be low, and as a parts gun or project for a restorer.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts