We are killing a good thing! ( 1 2 )

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ruffitt, Mar 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffitt

ruffitt *TFF Admin Staff* In Heaven Now

shooter22
    *TFF Staff*
    (4/7/02 6:00:07 pm)
    | Edit | Del All We are killing a good thing!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Probably been to my last gun show. You know it used to be a joy to go to the gun show and meet people that would deal and dicker for the sake of everyone coming out of a deal happy. I swear, After paying higher entrance fees, and being forced to purchase expensive food and drink, or die from the lack of said food and drink.

Now we have a rifle as poor and measly as the Marlin model 60 in sad condition and you can't find one for less than $150-$175. Try and find a stock Ruger 10/22 for less than $300. Some nimrod puts a Hogue stock on a 10/22 and calls it a custom job. Not anything near a custom piece of art you might get from LTS. LTS according to the new market, you are greatly under-priced. You should be getting 4 figures.

I seen a "sight" that could have as easily been a bottle cap picked up in the parking lot with a hole in for $1100.

Then there I am looking to find a bargain Marlin Model 60 trigger group so I don't have to mess with Brownells.

Now don't get me wrong, I am a dealer. But there are dealers out there that insist on making 3000% profit. Then you got the private seller that has a Ithica shotgun and says, "I know that it is only worth about $200, but it has senimental value to me, so I am asking $350 and won't take a penny less."

What happened to the day when after a deal you asked the guy to go have a bite to eat or a coffee? Now, it is who can get the last cheap shot in, or if the deal goes thru, you feel like turning the guns on each other.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (4/7/02 6:43:18 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: We are killing a good thing!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You summed it up for me Shooter. I am not nearly as interested in buying at gunshows anymore. I just go to look and ogle anymore.

One of the last ones I went to I told a dealer that had one of them Marlin mod 60 that $140 was to much. That Ican buy a brand new one for $99.00.

He replied I would get better service from him. Hell he was from another state!

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/7/02 7:03:16 pm)
    you summed it up pretty good shooter22, seems like a gun show anymore is like the carnival coming to town, just a venue to seperate the rubes from their coin and that's not so bad in itself but unlike the carnival the sellers are increasingly insulting to potential buyers, it's one thing to dicker over a few bucks but when someone is trying to sell rusty scratch and dent M-44's for $299 and then tell you that you'll never find one any cheaper you have to wonder if they are suffering a chemical imbalance or have a chemically enhanced outlook

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/7/02 7:14:36 pm)
    yep, seems like they've turned into A Gypsies Flea Market.

Something else I've noticed that several of the on-line gun auctions have sellers that FISH more than they sell. A shit load of the same stuff week after week.
    I like the saying "We're here to sell and NOT show", but I've only seen a couple like that.

1 particular seller that comes to mind has an average of 60 items running all the time. But, Bless his heart, occasionally he'll reel 1 in

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/7/02 8:27:10 pm)
    Sad, but true, 22!

You must have been greatly disappointed in the Tulsa gun show, and had driven a fair distance to get there.

I don't bother with the Phoenix show anymore, it comprises several buildings at the state fair grounds, however, if you sorted the crapola watches, badges, arts & crafts, cosmetics, etc, out of the gun stuff, you'd end up with maybe a half building at best! The insulting attitude of the table tenders (and, admittedly they probably have just reason) toward the lookers and buyers is very irritating. I know the rough value of anything I have to barter, yet these folks seem to think if it's in my hands it's junkque, while theirs is always rare, uncirculated treasures.

Being jostled about by unwashed loudmouths or rude individuals equally dampen my desires to attend the show. Besides, the exorbitant parking and admission fees sorta get my nose out of joint, also.

All things considered, buying and selling here on TFF is probably as good as it gets!

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/7/02 8:40:18 pm)
    Heck, I like ta eat five bean burritos, chug a couple a sodas, an go cruise the shows lettin' go of SBDs (silent but deadly). Kinda like durin' the summer when they cruise the neighborhoods with the mosquito sprayin' trucks - all the folks tend ta go meltin away.

I have seen several shows of different calibers around here. The shows held by local collectors associations tend to be nicer, and more firearms oriented. Shows put on by the traveling circuis act, RK Shows (Rex Kurly) is half flea market junk and gives the rest of us bad names. Anybody else out there familiar with this sleeze bag? The guy has some underhanded tactics and tries to run local collectors organizations out of business in order to profit himself.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

Abbess Ectoplasm
    (4/7/02 9:20:41 pm)
    I just get sick of the folks trying to sell ya low rate beef jerky at the SunCoast shows

Bodega Latino -- Caribbean Groceries and Produce
    ICE SODA CIGS BEER
    WIC accepted

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/7/02 10:24:34 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: We are killing a good thing!
    I guess I'm glad I never made it to the Tulsa Gun show. The disappointment I'd of had over traveling all that way would of turned me off gun shows alltogether.

It's not quite that bad here - yeah we have some idiots and those that are trying to sell everything for top dollar, but we also have a lot of sellers who put a reasonable price on their merchandise or private sellers who sell without making one huge profit.

procrastinator
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/7/02 11:06:39 pm)
    Abbess ~ Suncoast shows aren't that bad! Why look at all the fine jewelry, leather, bumper stickers, military gun manuals, etc you can find there. Why one table will even clean your glasses so you can see to find the guns! But then you can see the prices, also.

There is a show put on by the Lakeland Pistol Club (I think) coming up in a couple of weeks. I have never been to one of their shows but hear that they are pretty good. Not sure I can make it over there but will try.
    The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum

Abbess Ectoplasm
    (4/7/02 11:18:41 pm)
    yuh, the lakeland show is at the civic center april 20 and 21

I'm going to go... but I'm staying away from Beef Jerky and S.S. t-shirts, hehe

Bodega Latino -- Caribbean Groceries and Produce
    ICE SODA CIGS BEER
    WIC accepted

218Bee
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/7/02 11:46:54 pm)
    We do the suncoast shows..sold a Marlin M-60 for $65.OTD...My brother sold one for the same,3 weekends ago.We have M-60 parts out the ass.

The suncoast shows are not the greatest show on earth,but they are the best promoter in the state(other than a gunclub show or two)..and Flarda kicks ass for good deals...The last three 788s Ive bought have cost me $160.,$165.,and the last one,in .222 and walnut...a whoppin` $225.all..OTD prices.

And that aint all!!

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/8/02 8:27:56 am)
    I have to agree to a point, good shows are few and far between now.....with dealers falling in the same catagory. I did miss a show two years ago in the Dallas,Tx area and have kicked myself severly ever since. I was invited to go with a friend that shoots local matches with a .45, he was looking to pick up a Kimber Stainless Match. I passed and he came back with two Kimbers and three Springfields...personal not a dealer. Some dealer from El Paso was there selling out his inventory, Kimbers and Springfields were about $100.00 below "pure" cost. Called the day after the show ended, at his El Paso store. SOLD OUT!!!!!! 300 Springfields (all types of models) 115 Kimbers (" ") I WAS SICK!!!!! LTS
    T.F.F.

Different name
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (4/8/02 12:34:30 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Hmmmmm.....
    I've found that I have TOO MUCH money and TOO MANY guns..... (Don't I WISH!)
    Whutz a fella ta do?
    Just kiddin....I do have trouble getting around
    at the shows since my surgery.....but I used to enjoy
    meeting with people and looking and buying some real deals
    and mighty fine weapons ---- over tha years.

It's a shame the shows have come to this type of marketing!
    WHO is to fault for this situation? Anybody want to expound?
    Thanks.

Charlie D

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/8/02 6:05:47 pm)
    I don't know, I like the Indy 1500 show, EVERYTHING you are sayijng is there to some extent, but really only a couple of tables with beanie babies...

...BUT, if you look close and hard you can find deals....that's half the fun. Plus you CAN see and sometimes touch guns you can't find anywhere else...I mean GEEZ, where ELSE can you find not only an original 1865 Spencer with Stabler cut-off at a table with an owner that INVITES you to handle his guns...I've had that $2400 piece in my hands so much, every show, I hope he doesn't recognise me and charge me rent...plus last time he let me even work the action...history in my hands...Brandy Station and Walter Mitty... Plus Ohio Ordinance, how can you NOT get excited seeing the Maxim on the wheeled mount, the BAR, the MG 42, the 75mm RCL Rifle on the tripod, or the Jap 50mm Knee Mortar....or the guy with the full Jap collection in the case...just the Nambus make you drool...or????

And I still like talking to the dealers...the ones that aren't busy usually, I hate to bother them UNLESS I intend to buy something, but it's fun if just to see who's a good guy, or lady, and who are the ---holes.

If a guy gives me the time of day and has a decent interesting conversation with me KNOWING I don't intend to spend a dime, usually makes me LOOK for something small to buy from him even if I don't need it...hell, EVERYBODY usually has something I can use that's not TOO high priced...and at the "nice guy" tables I can usually find something quickly...

Then again one time my son was with me, and was thinking about buying with his own money one of those airsoft guns from a dealer who also sold real guns...the guy ignored him, but watched me like a hawk because I had a guy ask to look at an M44 I had on my shoulder...the guy put a package he was carrying down on a bare end of the table to look at my rifle, and the guy behind the table went OFF on us..."I PAY for these G--D--- tables, I oughta charge you a fee for selling near here, get your crap off my table...etc,etc..." all the while my son is standing trying to get his attention to buy an MP-5 airsoft...with money in his hand! I was pretty proud of him when he put the money back in his pocket and walked up to me and said "What a jerk..."

But even THAT was fun, really, like smoking out a cockroach....
    "Don't hear him call you an ---hole, hear WHY he's calling you an ---hole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

shooter22
    *TFF Staff*
    (4/8/02 9:38:29 pm)
    I guess my problem is partly my fault. Me being a dealer, I am there looking for the bargains like LTS spoke of. LTS, those come only a few times in a lifetime. I go looking and only bother a dealer if I am interested in buying. But 80% of the time or better, I get the dealer that thinks he is the only dealer in the business. I get more smoke blowed up my backside being in a chair, and not looking like a dealer it is unbelievable. I may have ugly written on my face, but I know that there is not enough room for "dumba$$" also. A guy tells me that he has one of every Para Ordnance LDA in his inventory. I asked to see a C745S Companion. He tells me that they are not out to the public yet. Now I know better, my distributors have them in stock. thinking If I can buy it from him near the same price as the distributor and not have to pay shipping, I'd do the deal. I called his bluff on the Companion and he called me everything but a democrat, that would have cost him some teeth.

The thing to end all for the Tulsa show was my brother getting his new Sequoia keyed on both sides, Having to find a decent parking spot in near by adjacent county, the rising prices, and the end-all of all end-alls.......................

China settings for sell---NOT even gun related!

idsman75
    (4/8/02 10:51:03 pm)
    Bob In St. Louis--A six-pack of heavy German beer the night before and a dozen hard-boiled eggs for breakfast would truly work better. This is my first night here and someone else from "Brand X" tipped me off that this is where you hang out when I started asking about where you went. Make that a six-pack of heavy German beer and a few shots of Bob's Best!

Good to see you Bob!

DarkStar11Redux
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/8/02 11:11:14 pm)
    By the comments, we seem to be pretty lucky in the DFW area. Most of the shows are decent, with the Mesquite shows usually being the best (though I've scored some decent deals at Dallas Market Hall and Ft. Worth). The dealer prices are pretty average, sometimes a little lower than norm. Kennedys Korner and Bachman Pawn & Gun usually hit the bottom prices for new stuff. I haven' seen Kennedys around recently, though.

There's still a lot of beanie babies & assorted crap, but there is also a fellow at the Mesquite shows that sells really good Strawberry Rhubarb preserves, and I am very thankful for his table. ;-)

HerbyJr
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/9/02 10:33:38 am)
    Shooter, I've got to agree to a point. I only attended on sunday and I didn't stay all that long due to prior committments, but I wasn't very impressed.

Prices were too high and $10 to get in was ridiculous. I wonder if everyone is trying to cash in on the 'scare' created by 9/11. There were local TV news stories about the turnout being great due to the sense of self-defense needs due to 9/11.

I like to go and browse and learn about weapons both new and old but with a price tag of $10 to get in, it is not a cheap day out anymore. Especially if I need to buy something.

I'm sorry I missed you and Shotguner...also it sucks about his Sequoia. Sorry you had a bad time in Tulsa.

H.
    CLICK HERE to visit Hawg Ryder's All HD Tech Forum

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/9/02 11:46:21 am)
    Howdy Idsman - welcome to the show!
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

idsman75
    (4/9/02 10:51:09 pm)
    Bob--Between you and me, I defected because Bob's Best is no longer served "on the other side".

Different name
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (4/9/02 11:18:08 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    idsman75 ----

You're a sight for sore eyes!
    WELCOME TO TFF!
    Sure are proud you went and done IT!

You will find that there is meaning in your life here at TFF ---
    friend to friend. As you demonstrate the spirit of sharing in your daily affairs, you inspire yourself and others to live from that sense of highest purpose that is within each of us.

ENJOY!*

Charlie D aka Different name
    Note:
    At tha Pumphouse Saloon you will find a unique sign...
    "PIZZA SHOP SLOGAN"
    "7 days without pizza makes one weak."
    Especially, without ever drinkin a drop of
    "BOB's BEST!

* Yer never too old to become
    younger.....

218Bee
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/9/02 11:30:54 pm)
    Don`t listen to all of it ,ids..they`ll brainwash ya if ya let `em..

I brought you over here..but I warned ya before I did...I don`d want for me and Lord Rembrandt to hafta deprogram ya!!

(Spoken in a gentlemanly southern accent,surprisingly like Val Kilmer in his role as Doc Holliday)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.