We lost a great American

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1952Sniper, Mar 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

SDhunter
    (1/2/03 2:40:55 am)
    Reply We lost a great American
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Joe Foss died on 1-1-03. Talk about a great American. Just a few of the things this man did while he was a live: 1st commissioner of the AFL, Governor of the GREAT state of South Dakota, Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient, President of the NRA, had his own hunting and fishing show on the tv.

For those of you that aren't too familiar with the great man that was born and raised in the GREAT state of South Dakota, here's a link that I encourage you to read.

www.acepilots.com/usmc_...

Jeff

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/2/03 7:49:28 am)
    Re: We lost a great American
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I saw this last night. He truly was a livng hero.

Ad fighter ace to the list of accomplishments above.
    Ignorance is a crime in 49 states. In the other one it is bliss.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/2/03 8:23:26 am)
    Reply Re: We lost a great American
    Joe Foss was one of the top-scoring American Aces during WWII.

www.acepilots.com/usmc_foss.html

Smoky14
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/2/03 9:55:45 am)
    I flew with Gen Joe and he was a true gentleman. The world has lost one of its finest.

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/2/03 10:03:58 am)
    Smokey, what did you and the General fly in...fighters or bombers? What theater was your combat in.

I lived through WW-2 but was just a kid at that time.

Gunguy

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/2/03 4:43:18 pm)
    Joe Foss was a Marine who flew the Grumann F4F Wildcat in the South Pacific Theatre of Operations. He was part of "The Cactus Air Force" that flew out of Henderson Field on Guadalcanal during those early days...when it was a tossup as to whether we'd win that battle or not.

He, and a few other brave Army, Navy, and Marine pilots, flew their battered F4Fs, SBDs, and P-400s against vastly superior Japanese air forces....providing air cover for the outnumbered 1st Marines during the first island offensive in the Pacific during WWII.

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/2/03 4:48:42 pm)
    My Dad was a 1st Class Motor Machinist for the LST883 in the conflict of Guadalcanal. Bless his heart!

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/2/03 5:06:16 pm)
    Had the pleasure of meeting Joe Foss and talking with him for a half and hour, or so. Bought his book, which he signed for me and is one of my prized possessions now. He was very easy to talk to - seemed interested in whatever you had to say. Mrs. Foss was there also, and a real nice lady.

The world has indeed, lost one of it's better citizens.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

Smoky14
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/2/03 5:37:25 pm)
    Gunguy: I was in an admin flight at Peterson Field in the late 60's. We flew the Gen in to make a speech at the USAFA.

He was well spoken and a humble man who was not easy to forget. He spoke with you and made you feel like what you said meant something.

Like I said..a gentleman

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/2/03 8:18:25 pm)
    Smokey, know what you mean by being in the presence of historical greatness.

During 1958 while I was an Airdale once at Alameda NAS it was dark and we got word that an R5D was coming in from Hawaii with a couple of high ranking retired Admirals of WW-2 fame.

Got to throw a highball to Bull Halsey and his wife when walked right by me.

Sure, he was a bit wrinkled from all his years but he was sailing under his own sealegs and he deserved the respect of help saving our butts during that period of conflict.

Gunguy

Edited by: AGunguy at: 1/2/03 8:22:01 pm

pickenup
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/3/03 2:09:53 am)
    Yup a BIG loss.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.