We were soldiers.

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by Guest, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

hammer4nc
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/16/02 9:22:04 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All We were soldiers.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I enjoyed the movie, even if it cost me $1500 to watch it (my truck was broken in to in the parking lot! but that's another story...)

It documents the first major US engagement in Vietnam, IIRC. It was discussed on our local radio talk show yesterday, and one guy called in who was in the battle, actually captured the nva prisoner depicted in the movie. He said that Gen Moore was indeed a great leader.

Sam Elliot has some good lines in the movie, depicted as going into battle with only a 1911 pistol.

I had one question: What is the significance of "Gary Owen" sign at the base camp, briefly flashed in the movie? Only thing I can recall is the 1960's laugh-in personality. I keep thinking it must be more than that, however.

"General Custer was a pussy...you're not."

Anyone else read the book or see the movie?

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/16/02 1:56:36 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: We were soldiers.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Saw it last week, very unsettling......good movie though. LTS
    T.F.F.

ruffitt
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/17/02 5:57:15 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: We were soldiers.
    hammer4nc -

"Gary Owen" is an Irish drinking song dating back to the late 1700's.

Apparently General George Armstrong Custer heard the song among the Irish troops of the 7th Cavalry and liked the cadence. The beat accentuated the cadence of marching horses. General Custer adopted the song and name for the 7th Cavalry Regiments as their regimental nickname and theme song. This distinction continues to this day.

The significance of the Cary Owen sign at the base camp would indicate that there is a unit of the 7th Cavalry Regiment assigned to that particular camp.

RuffItt

hammer4nc
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/17/02 8:30:40 am)
    Thanks for the info, ruffit. The movie has strong references to Custer in it. The Mel Gibson character (Gen. Moore in real life) held Custer's command; reflections on Little Big horn; etc.

I just did a little internet search...the song is one we've all heard, I just never knew the name. Also, apparently a Camp Gary Owen exists in Korea.

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/17/02 10:18:30 am)
    wasn't Gary Owen also played during the assault at the Little Big Horn?

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/17/02 10:57:33 am)
    Only in the movies, Fred.....only in the movies.

I suspect that Custer's troops were too busy pulling arrows outta their asses to play much music.

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/17/02 5:37:02 pm)
    IIRC in that engagement the savages had better rifles than the US Army very few arrows used

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/17/02 8:15:17 pm)
    I don't know Fred, the Ia Drang was the first of the pitched battles we fought with the VC/NVA during the war, and whenever THAT happened we kicked butt...even with the Mattel toy...

We never lost a "real" battle in that war...which most people forget, or from the "History" they were taught, don't even know...

Good Catch on the "Gary Owen," X....

The First Air Cav was one of the real successes of that war...and actually achieved with a helluva lot fewer casualties what all the "Airborne" gurus always hoped "Airborne" would achieve, but never did...
    Hi. My name is Mike. And I am a Nagantaholic. "Don't hear him call you an @sshole, hear WHY he's calling you an @sshole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/17/02 11:12:08 pm)
    Polishshooter
    I was refering to the Little Big Horn, the other guys had repeating rifles while the 7th cav had single shots not to mention being outnumbered

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/17/02 11:38:39 pm)
    And the fact the Boy Wonder left his Gatlings behind because they would "slow him down..."

Yeah, Fred, I misread it, I thought you were talking about the single shot 16s...

I never really figured out why at the end of the Civil War, most US Cavalry had the Spencer...and the 7th had turned theirs in not too long before the Big Horn...why everyone was so quick to switch to the trapdoor...

I know it had a lot to do with the fact Oliver Winchester bought Spencer out just to shut it down, so no spare parts, along with "peacetime" economies, but Generals like Custer and Sheridan MUST HAVE known what the Spencers and Henry's did in the war...I can't believe if the army, or even a few influential Generals had made a stink, the Government wouldn't have ordered mor, or taken over production at Springfield Armory or something...

Would have made an interesting "What if..." What if the 7th had Spencers with Blakeslee tubes holding 70 rounds ready for speed reloads....
    Hi. My name is Mike. And I am a Nagantaholic. "Don't hear him call you an @sshole, hear WHY he's calling you an @sshole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

ldsteff
    (4/26/02 8:53:20 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del 7th Cav.
    I knew a few of those guys,they were eaten up with the history of the 7Th Cav and the Gary Owen relationship,hell when they would salute officers sometimes that would be there greeting"Gary Owen Sir!!used it much like the marines have ther ooorah!,the only 7th cav troop I knew flew dust offs and he was nuts,I guess thats what it took to hack it.They took pride in their work at the timebut that LtCol who led them into the ambush was just there to get his ticket punched...The Gary Owen maarch is haunting though!