The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was up and dressed before my wife this morning. I put on my Simply Rugged Cuda holster and my Sig P250sc. As soon as I started moving around the room, my wife quips, I see (hear) your wearing old squeaky again. I'm about deaf, but sometimes, when it is quiet, I too can hear the leather squeak. Squeaking leather never really bothered me and actually is a nice, pleasant sound, but it is sure a dead give away that you may be wearing a leather holster.

I just assume it is still pretty new and may break in some day. What do you all think? Will it? I've read the warnings about not softening the leather up in any way with treatments. I can't see bothering Rob Leahy with such a basic question, but maybe I'll ask his advice someday. But, why not see what you folks think.

I've had it over a year and only wore it occasionally. Lately though, I've noticed that the weight really doesn't bother me with a good belt and some decent suspenders to help hold up this old guys pants. It's a subcompact, but I was using compact 15 rounders in it before Illinois started threatening a 10 round max. The longer mag did poke out the shirt a little, and when the legislation went to 12 rounds I ordered the pinky base plates. Now it is shorter and carries less noticeably. Even though the legislation changed again to 15, I think I like this combination and so I'm wearing it much more than ever before.
Grey Material property Personal protective equipment Strap Wood

· Registered
18,462 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it myself. Take your normal uniformed police officer.

He's wearing a wide leather belt with a leather holster and a leather ammunition carrier and a leather handcuff pouch. Does he walk down the sidewalk and you can hear him from a block away - SQUEAK SQUEAK SQUEAK!!! No. If his leather does squeak, it's covered up by traffic noise and sounds of people walking and sounds of people talking and birds singing and dogs barking and all the other noises of life.

Your wife hears you because the two of you were in your bedroom and the only noise is you walking across the room.

If she had been in the kitchen making you breakfast, and the pans was rattling on the stove, and coffee was making noise in the coffee pot - whether perking or dripping, it still makes noise - and the dog yipping saying he wants to go out. She wouldn't have heard your holster squeak.

· Premium Member
21,837 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it myself. Take your normal uniformed police officer.

He's wearing a wide leather belt with a leather holster and a leather ammunition carrier and a leather handcuff pouch. Does he walk down the sidewalk and you can hear him from a block away - SQUEAK SQUEAK SQUEAK!!! No. If his leather does squeak, it's covered up by traffic noise and sounds of people walking and sounds of people talking and birds singing and dogs barking and all the other noises of life.
Might be a little noisy in a library.;)

· Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well you can try a little saddle soap to stop the squeaking. If nothing else it will help water proof the leather. Do wives still get up toe make breakfast? LOL.
Mine did for many years. Now she can't and I make breakfast. :)

I read recently about rubbing some treatment into the stitching, but not sure and can't remember what. I've got a number of treatments I used on everyone's ball gloves but I'll wait until I ask Rob Leahy first what he recommends.

· Registered
986 Posts
I guess that I am old school, all of my handgun's ride in leather holsters. I have had a couple squeak a bit, but they quieted down after a time. I have mostly Triple K holsters, but I just bought a Versacarry holster for my J frame and it rides quiet and close to the body, so it is easy to conceal. I would think that "squeaky" would get quieter as you wear it. JM2C

· Registered
8,810 Posts
I was up and dressed before my wife this morning. I put on my Simply Rugged Cuda holster and my Sig P250sc. As soon as I started moving around the room, my wife quips, I see (hear) your wearing old squeaky again. I'm about deaf, but sometimes, when it is quiet, I too can hear the leather squeak. Squeaking leather never really bothered me and actually is a nice, pleasant sound, but it is sure a dead give away that you may be wearing a leather holster.

I just assume it is still pretty new and may break in some day. What do you all think? Will it? I've read the warnings about not softening the leather up in any way with treatments. I can't see bothering Rob Leahy with such a basic question, but maybe I'll ask his advice someday. But, why not see what you folks think.

I've had it over a year and only wore it occasionally. Lately though, I've noticed that the weight really doesn't bother me with a good belt and some decent suspenders to help hold up this old guys pants. It's a subcompact, but I was using compact 15 rounders in it before Illinois started threatening a 10 round max. The longer mag did poke out the shirt a little, and when the legislation went to 12 rounds I ordered the pinky base plates. Now it is shorter and carries less noticeably. Even though the legislation changed again to 15, I think I like this combination and so I'm wearing it much more than ever before.
View attachment 289756
I really like my OLD Simply Rugged holsters of which I have 3. I am not so happy at all with a new Simply Rugged made by the new owner, but it isn't bad, just a bit different configuration. I may be able to get it more suitable after a fashion, but it is not a gun I carry so it will take a while.

But the original Simply Rugged made by Rob are wonderful. Enjoy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts