The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have just recently gotten into WW2 era firearms collecting and stumbled upon a Webley MKIV in 38s&w and I do not know much info on it. Is there a way I can tell if it was British military issue or commercial. The serial is 83732. Thanks again!

·
Registered
17,687 Posts
The information showed in your second picture tells us that the gun was sold on the civilian market. Military guns were not marked with proof information like that, but if they were surplused out and sold on the civilian market they were.

WAR FINISH tells me it was made during the war for the military - instead of bluing it they painted it.

But to be absolutely sure there should be a broad arrow on it somewhere. ->. That is the way the British marked their government equipment. Government equipment that was considered "redundant to needs" (in America we call that "surplus") has a double broad arrow, with the two pointing at each other. -><-

·
Registered
17,687 Posts
In the early aughts I passed on one for $200. $200 for a painted gun?? Yeah, that's not happening.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Webley's are so ugly they are just cool-to-the-max. That price is much more than I'd give for one, though. Like Alpo pointed out, for a military issue you need to find the "Broad Arrow". The British seemed to go crazy stamping and marking their military arms, and your's doesn't look to have those markings. My guess is civilian market.

·
Premium Member
15,355 Posts
Go look at the on line gun sites and see what Webley's are selling for. They started an upward trend about 5 years ago and haven't slowed. I wanted one but not at the prices they're asking and, evidently bringing.

Same with a decent Reich's revolver. Good grief....they must think they're made of gold.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts