The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here for your viewing pleasure is my Webley-Scott .455 Model 1913 MK1 N Navy pistol serial number 3800 which was accepted into service in 1914. I found on-line an interesting article "The .455 Webley & Scott Pistol" (American Rifleman 1964) which has a chart which details both Government Contracts and Private sales deliveries by month/year/serial number. This pistol (serial number 3800) was 1 of 1919 (serial numbers 3691-5609) delivered to the Royal Navy in December 1914. It served through most of WWI.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,280 Posts
How is that thing to shoot? From the pix, it just looks like it would be uncomfortable as hell.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
then again... ;look at the anemic cartridge it shoots.

hmm.. that got me thinking.

I bet some trailboss might make nice safe 455 loads for my revolvers. :)

if i'm not carefull.. trailboss might eclipse imr 4064 on my bench... :)

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
It is very hard to find any ammo to shoot these with. Original factory or British Army cartridges are all old, collectible, and expensive, and because there are so few guns for it - less than 8,000 Webley's, I believe, plus whatever Colt 1911's the Brit's bought in it that have not been converted to 45 ACP - very few custom loaders ever make it.

There's a liability problem, too; the 455 Webley Auto cartridge will chamber and fire in 455 Eley revolvers, but is much more powerful. There were cases of Webley revolvers bursting from this in WWI.

It's a pity, because the Webley's were beautifully made guns. They were too tightly fitted to make a good military pistol, really. The grip doesn't look like a good shape, but all the rear sights are adjustable for windage, at least.

A fellow named Gordon Bruce wrote an excellent book about all the Webley automatics pistols 10 or 15 years ago. There's another one called "Worldwide Webley" that included the Webley based H&R automatics, but I forget the author's name.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got the .455 Automatic bullets, brass and loading dies from Buffalo Arms and will load some and see how it shoots along with my .455 Webley 1917 British Amry contract Colt Government Model pistol. The original ammo is indeed too scare and valuable to shoot.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
my buddy has what looks like an old colt revolver marked 455 eley

is that the same as 455 webley? IE.. the hornady 455 webley revolver ammo i found. ? would that be acceptable for that colt revolver marked 455 eley?

·
Registered
17,280 Posts
The 455 Colt, aka 455 Eley, is slightly longer than 455 Webley. Otherwise they are the same dimensions.

Shooting Webley ammo in a Colt gun would be kinda like shooting shorts in a long rifle, or 2 3/4 shells in a 3" gun. Won't hurt a bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Thanks, varifleman! I'd very much like to hear about how shooting your Webley goes. There are very few range reports about them.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I shoot my W&S 455 Mk I several times a year. Powerful and accurate. AND, it is easy to find the brass because it lands on my hat brim. Lee makes the exact, perfect mold for this cartridge, but they catalog it for the Ruger Old Army. Lub and size it .456".

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I shoot my W&S 455 Mk I several times a year. Powerful and accurate. AND, it is easy to find the brass because it lands on my hat brim. Lee makes the exact, perfect mold for this cartridge, but they catalog it for the Ruger Old Army. Lub and size it .456".
Max; thanks for your comment. Can you post loa details for your .455 Webley automatic rounds?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hello Varifleman; My brass is modified 45 Colt, dies are 455 revolver, bullet is Lee 456-220-1R sized .458." My W&S number 4023x is bore .446", groove .456." These need a humungus roll-over-the-ogive crimp to feed. Look at an original cartridge. My charge of Unique, 5.something grains gives 611 FPS with my crimp, which I apply with a sizing die for 11.3 Gasser. You can hold the 45 Colt cases in a 15/32" collet to redo the rim. Do not overlook the 45 degree chamfer. Hope this helps, have fun. Max

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Max: Thanks for the load data. I'll roll some rounds soon and give a range report (also for my British Army WWI contract Colt Gov't Model). I'd love to see photos of your pistol.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi Varifleman; nothing to see, my W&S .455 looks just like yours except the replacement stock plates are black. But, I do have both a W&S .38 Military Automatic and a W&S 9 mm (9 mm Browning long) automatic. Both have wooden replacement stock plates that I made. Max

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Here are photos of 1917 and 1918 head stamp .455 Eley Self-loading military ammo issued for this pistol in 7-round packets as shown in previous posting and the open recoil-activated action of this pistol. Also is shown Commander C R Samson, standing beside a single seat Nieuport 10 aircraft with this type pistol in his hand about to start on a mission over the Turkish lines in 1915. Commander Samson commanded No. 3 Squadron, Royal Naval Air Service (RNAS) Wing, based on Tenedos Island, which took part in the operations at the Dardanelles. The pistol in the photo is a .455 Webley-Scott Mark 1-N Navy automatic which is quite distinguishable by the boxy breech-block and exposed barrel.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After years of searching for a spare recoil spring I found this cache of spare parts on Ebay recently, probably a rare find since it also includes a slide, barrel etc. Now I can shoot this pistol a few times with less worry about replacement parts if needed.
s-l1600 (10).jpg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts