The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that insist that every load must be weighed for max accuracy, you need to read the article by John Barsness in the Feb 2013 Handloader #282, page 34.

The bottom line is after extensive testing of a couple of powder measures and calculating the results of any errors (+ and - up to 0.2 grains),he, as he has said in the past, found no rational reason to do it for hunting loads or varmint loads intended to be used out to 400 yds.

He pointed out the benchrest shooters (100 yard contest) throw their loads from a measure and if the group sizes are not in the teens (five shot groups less than 0.20 inches) or less they are not competitive. He also pointed out that at 1000 yds weighing might be called for.

He also found that the common three shot groups for hunting guns do not show the actual accuracy potential or lack there of. He advocates at least four but preferable 5 shot groups when trying to determine that absolute accuracy of those guns and as many as 10 shot groups for Varmint guns.

Anyway, the article is a good one that really needs to be read. It is, in my opinion, an endorsement for progressive press reloading since those presses have to use a powder measure, but not expressed in so many words. Some here have put down progressive reloading because of the fact that powder weighing can not be done and the results will be poorer accuracy. Wrong!

LDBennett

·
Premium Member
2,211 Posts
Read it and plenty of other articles by John over the decades as he's one of my favorite writers and I very much respect his work.

That being said, I still weight each hunting rifle load (and their practice round counterparts). Why spend all of that time? Because I can, and I actually enjoy doing it. It's not a bother, a waste of time, or work to me.
Now, when it comes to pistol, revolver and general shooting/plinking rounds that's a different story.

BTW: There are currently no small caliber, center fire, varmint hunting rigs in my collection requiring really high volume loading for.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
yep. It's apparant also when testing out different powder charges to find the right load for your gun; even multiple grain difference often shows the same point of impact.

a couple tenths of a grain (especially in larger calibers requiring more powder) isn't going to affect anything enough for the average shooter to tell the difference.

I still weight my hunting rounds but not much else. I just check about every 10 charges

·
Registered
65 Posts
I read it and that is common knowledge in the benchrest community, but then I'm not a benchrest shooter either (casual observer). He didn't go into turning case necks, weighing & sorting bullets, checking & sorting cases by case volumn, reaming flash holes, checking neck run-out, etc. etc. Consistancy = Accuracy and even though we can fudge a little in some areas, it's still best to keep load to load variables as close as possible.

I'm getting old and can't see as well nor hold as steady as I used to. So some of my groups look like I sprayed them with a Thompson. I still try to do my best though. It's not worth doing if you don't do it right.

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
Read Mike Dillons interview in SAR....they did a CONTROLLED experiment....
1.New 5.56 cases,neck turn,weight,blah,blah-everything a benchrest shooter would do
2.1fired cases,neck turn,sort,weigh everything
3.1fired cases,weigh everything,sort,etc
4.1 fired cases-NO sorting or anything-dumped in elec trimmer/sizer...loaded..no weighing or anything...
Sent loaded rds(marked 1-4)with NO description of what is what to 2 national testing labs..
Mike had his benchrest employee shoot with rds given to him-no indication of which was which...
Best multiple 5 shot groups from BOTH labs and benchrest shooter-#4
So his conclusion was in 5.56 anyway,just load them and shoot them...pretty interesting read.......and it confirmed I own the best-dillon:)

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I usually put the wife to work weighing powder with beam scale, that's better than her glued to those stupid women tv shows like a zombie for sure. Someday, after I have 500 boxes of bullets piled up, then I'll buy that Dillon. I actually enjoy playing around with everything that goes with reloading; just wonder if I'll ever figure it all out, ha ha.

I started reloading outta fear of someday, not being able to get ammo. We live off the road system half the year, run out of things pretty regular, do without; why I started reloading. Most the locals around here have the basic Lee loaders. I've never seen a progressive anywhere in this town. If I were to get one, well I could hear the howls from all these hicks already, ha ha. Someday though.

·
Registered
18,148 Posts
I load by volume. Set the measure to throw a volume that weighs what I need it to, lock the nuts down and throw charges. Then check the cases to verify they are all filled to the same spot.

·
Super Moderator
47,518 Posts
If I am only going to load a few rounds (less than 50) I will weigh each one of them. It is a pain in the butt to set up the powder throw. By the time I have it set correctly, I am over half way to finishing the 50 I started out to do!!

·
Registered
18,148 Posts
excellent point George, and right on, for the most part.

I use a lyman55 and it can be finicky to set up. but I found a fast way to do it.. Hand weigh a correct charge, open the dump all the way and pour the charge in so it goes all into the barrel. then just close it up until it pushes the powder charge almost til its falling back out over the top of the charge barrel. Then lock it down and fill it up with powder. usually the charges thrown at that point are within a couple tenths and can be brought into zero with just 2 or 3 adjustments.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
If I am only going to load a few rounds (less than 50) I will weigh each one of them. It is a pain in the butt to set up the powder throw. By the time I have it set correctly, I am over half way to finishing the 50 I started out to do!!
I'm with ya there. Trying to find the right mix for mine. do about 20 rds. then up the charge a gr. or two. By the time I double check that its throwing correctly, I have to change agian. But like somebody stated; I enjoy doing it.
Unemployed right now . Kepps me busy, and out from in front of the tv all day.

·
Premium Member
34,287 Posts

I use a lyman55 and it can be finicky to set up. but I found a fast way to do it.. Hand weigh a correct charge, open the dump all the way and pour the charge in so it goes all into the barrel. then just close it up until it pushes the powder charge almost til its falling back out over the top of the charge barrel. Then lock it down and fill it up with powder. usually the charges thrown at that point are within a couple tenths and can be brought into zero with just 2 or 3 adjustments.
I like this idea! Will have to give it a try. I'm like Mr. Moody, if I'm only loading 50 rds, then I just scoop powder on to the scale untill I get what I want. But that don't happen that often! Usually I'm doing 150 or more at a time.

·
Banned
14,447 Posts
I just finished 20 loads for a ladder test on my .270. what a major PITA. having an old herters scale probably helps to aggravate the stiff neck. just think, I get to do another 20 for the .243 now.

·
Registered
18,148 Posts
But the work totally pays off 68..

·
Super Moderator
47,518 Posts

I would have never thought of that, a great idea! I will try that next time.

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
Handguns, 223/5.56, 7.62 x 39 and 6.5 Grendel all get dropped charges from my Harrells Schuetzen / Pistol Measure, very accurate up to about 30gr depending on the powder.

For may larger Hunting rifles, I drop and weigh the charge using the Lyman 1200 dispenser. While the charge is being dropped and metered I am seating the bullet on another case. Goes fairly fast and making making small adjustments is as simple as entering the desired charge on the keyboard.

I also have a larger RCBS powder measure, but it pretty much just hangs on the wall.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Handguns, 223/5.56, 7.62 x 39 and 6.5 Grendel all get dropped charges from my Harrells Schuetzen / Pistol Measure, very accurate up to about 30gr depending on the powder.

For may larger Hunting rifles, I drop and weigh the charge using the Lyman 1200 dispenser. While the charge is being dropped and metered I am seating the bullet on another case. Goes fairly fast and making making small adjustments is as simple as entering the desired charge on the keyboard.

I also have a larger RCBS powder measure, but it pretty much just hangs on the wall.
I have and use this same machine and have ever since it came out. It's a great tool and I speed the process up by using an old Lee scoop kit to partially fill the scale pan before dispensing. That way I can charge a case every ten or fifteen seconds. It sure does shorten the time to charge fifty cases of big magnum stuff.

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
I have and use this same machine and have ever since it came out. It's a great tool and I speed the process up by using an old Lee scoop kit to partially fill the scale pan before dispensing. That way I can charge a case every ten or fifteen seconds. It sure does shorten the time to charge fifty cases of big magnum stuff.
Have you installed the Hop Up kit (upgrade)? Lyman put one in mine for free when I went in for service. Much faster.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2008/03/lyman-1200-powder-dispenser-speed-upgrade/

·
Registered
1,321 Posts

I use a Lyman 55 as well. I have one that is set for my 22-250 loads and I never use it for any other loads. I have 4 other ones that I will use for other calibers. 2 of them have pistol powder in them and the other 2 have rifle powder.

·
Registered
18,148 Posts
I love the 55. i think its one of the best mechanical volume measures around..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.