The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Banned
2,751 Posts
Handguns, 223/5.56, 7.62 x 39 and 6.5 Grendel all get dropped charges from my Harrells Schuetzen / Pistol Measure, very accurate up to about 30gr depending on the powder.

For may larger Hunting rifles, I drop and weigh the charge using the Lyman 1200 dispenser. While the charge is being dropped and metered I am seating the bullet on another case. Goes fairly fast and making making small adjustments is as simple as entering the desired charge on the keyboard.

I also have a larger RCBS powder measure, but it pretty much just hangs on the wall.

· Banned
2,751 Posts
I have and use this same machine and have ever since it came out. It's a great tool and I speed the process up by using an old Lee scoop kit to partially fill the scale pan before dispensing. That way I can charge a case every ten or fifteen seconds. It sure does shorten the time to charge fifty cases of big magnum stuff.
Have you installed the Hop Up kit (upgrade)? Lyman put one in mine for free when I went in for service. Much faster.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2008/03/lyman-1200-powder-dispenser-speed-upgrade/

· Banned
2,751 Posts
I did, but a lot of the powder (lets just go ahead and say "most") is long stick and I don't get the precision I get with the older hopper. It wants to go over .3 to .4 grains. I put the old one back on and have stuck with it.
Install the screw in bushing in the end of the dispensing tube? Without it, mine over charged as well, with it perfect.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.