The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I have 5 of the H&R premier .22 rimfire hammers that all have the firing pins broken off. Has anyone had any experience with welding these back on, and do they hold up very good?
I wouldn't worry about trying to repair them except that original ones in good condition are getting scarce.
Thanks!
Old Gun Guy

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
The weld is so small two things go wrong. 1 the area your welding overheats and the hardness of the hammer becomes drawn out. Once the new pin is welded in the hammer would have to be rehardened. 2 surface area isnt great so there is little to work with. penetration is key in a good hold but there is little to work with. best case is to cut a slot in the existing hammer and fit a cut firing pin from tooling steel in the slot and either silver solder in place or weld in the rear with a good heat sink,

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your inputs. I might try to drill and pin one of them and see how it works out.
Old Gun Guy

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Not sure about firing pin you describe but the last H&R firing pin I repaired was a flat one made part of the hammer. I just cut the broken firing pin off flat with the face of the hammer, drilled in and put in a round 1/8" diameter firing pin, the nose shaped to do its job. I soldered it in with 3% silver solder. Worked OK but looked different, nobody cared.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
I generally try to keep thinga looking original. thats why i go with the flat pin.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took the five hammers to a machine shop yesterday. I had a 3/32" slot milled into each and a pin hole drilled. I will make firing pins to fit, then use JB weld plus pinning the firing pin in place. I think that will work.
Old Gun Guy

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
If you properly fit the firing pins, there is no need for epoxy. It will crumble the first few times the gun is fired anyway.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you properly fit the firing pins, there is no need for epoxy. It will crumble the first few times the gun is fired anyway.
Bill,
You are absolutely correct. I will forget the JB weld. I have to heat treat the firing pin after fitting, and the epoxy would just get in the way.
Old Gun Guy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts