The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
..........or at least get someone to take photos that I can post!

Picked up a underhammer percussion pistol today at a yardsale.It is a W.Ashton .36 cal from up in Conn.,but there is another set of marks as well.

The other mark is "S.SUTHERLAND",a known seller of firearms up thru the American Civil War in Richmond,Va.

The pistol is in shooting shape,with the 4" barrel,octagon to round,one knurled wedding band.Typical Ashton quality of work,and a well balence little thing.

My question is,has anyone else run into the Sutherland mark on one of these?Obviously stamped in the period,and with the Sutherland commercial stamp from other examples I've seen.

what says the peanut gallery?

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
I am SO, SO jealous - I have never found a gun at a yard sale and if I ever do find one I probably won't have enough money to buy it :(

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WH,don't worry,they are out there,and affordable(almost ashamed of what I paid for this one,ALMOST........).Don't have a cell,waiting for one that lets my finger take the ride back around,but may find someone to take a pic and send it to my email tommorrow.

Back to the original question:anyone else ever seen the S.SUTHERLAND mark on an Ashton underhammer pistol?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts