The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went and shot a local USPSA match this morning. The director set up two of the stages as one continuous “drive by” scenario. We sat in a golf cart with a driver and shot the targets as we went by them, around the berm to the second stage and same thing. Everybody was given an even 35 seconds to run the 2 stages.

Out of 20 paper targets and 10 steels, I had 1 Charlie 1 Delta and 48 Mikes. My final score for those two stages was 0.0228. 😫

It was kind of fun but after seeing our scores, we all told the organizer he was never allowed to do that again. 🤣

·
Registered
17,488 Posts
I assume the Mikes were misses, based on your score. But what is a Charlie and what is a Delta?

·
Premium Member
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I assume the Mikes were misses, based on your score. But what is a Charlie and what is a Delta?
Alpha- A hit in the “A” zone of the target.
5 points for major calibers
5 points for minor calibers

Charlie- A hit in the “C” zone of the target.
4 points for major calibers
3 points for minor calibers

Delta- A hit in the “D” zone of the target.
2 points for major calibers
1 point for minor calibers

They eliminated the “B” zone in USPSA for some reason. I don’t know why.

You are correct in assuming “Mikes” are misses.

And then there is the dreaded “No Shoot” which is a white target representing a hostage or good guy. Hitting one of those subtracts 2 points from your score.

Most paper targets are shot twice. You can shoot them more if you want but only the 2 highest scoring shots are counted.

Steel targets are automatically 5 points because they either fall (a hit) or they don’t (a miss). You can shoot as many times as it takes to drop a steel. Misses only count if you leave the steel standing.

·
Registered
17,488 Posts
Went and looked up the target.

Attachments

Reactions: WillieB and tedwitt

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
And then there is the dreaded “No Shoot” which is a white target representing a hostage or good guy. Hitting one of those subtracts 2 points from your score.
Is it different where you shoot?
In USPSA it is 2x the maximum amount of points on a target, ie. 10 points subtracted in most cases. You just shot 2 alpha's for nothing :)

The stage sounds like a lot of fun, but as a side show and not in a USPSA match.

·
Premium Member
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Is it different where you shoot?
In USPSA it is 2x the maximum amount of points on a target, ie. 10 points subtracted in most cases. You just shot 2 alpha's for nothing :)

The stage sounds like a lot of fun, but as a side show and not in a USPSA match.
Ope..... You are correct about the No Shoots. I’ve only shot a handful of matches and still fuzzy on all the scoring stuff. I just do what I can to keep from getting disqualified and let the RO worry about scoring. 😁

Those stages were definitely not something that I would want on a routine basis. If this had been anything bigger than a local match, I’m sure the competitors would have been screaming bloody murder. Might have been better if it had been just ONE stage but this wasted two stages to finish and roasted everybody’s scores.

Edit: The scores were just posted on PractiScore. I finished 14th out of 15 shooters. I really need to up my game. I know my speed is killing me.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Edit: The scores were just posted on PractiScore. I finished 14th out of 15 shooters. I really need to up my game. I know my speed is killing me.
I can't see the results of you last match but here are some general pointers:

-Shooting faster is almost never the solution, you can only shoot as fast as you can see your sights. (unless very close ofc)
-You cannot make up for mikes and NS by going faster, even delta's are very expensive in minor.

Based on the clip you posted a while ago the easiest thing to work on is keeping the gun up while moving and have the gun in a ready to shoot position slightly before you enter your shooting position.
You want the gun aimed at the target slightly before you enter the shooting position (even when you cannot yet see the target), you want to shoot as soon as you can. If you still need to get your gun up and start aiming when you are at the shooting position you are loosing a lot of time.

·
Premium Member
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can't see the results of you last match but here are some general pointers:

-Shooting faster is almost never the solution, you can only shoot as fast as you can see your sights. (unless very close ofc)
-You cannot make up for mikes and NS by going faster, even delta's are very expensive in minor.

Based on the clip you posted a while ago the easiest thing to work on is keeping the gun up while moving and have the gun in a ready to shoot position slightly before you enter your shooting position.
You want the gun aimed at the target slightly before you enter the shooting position (even when you cannot yet see the target), you want to shoot as soon as you can. If you still need to get your gun up and start aiming when you are at the shooting position you are loosing a lot of time.
Some good tips. I will try to work on gun position more.

When I did that video, about the only thing going through my head was, “Don’t break the 180!” It’s still my number one thought going through a stage but I’m getting better at focusing on other things as well. I’m getting better at stage planning and counting rounds. I haven’t run the gun dry in my last couple of matches.

That last stage today was a real sink hole for my overall score though. I did fairly well with the other two stages. From the first two stages I had 36 Alphas, 11 Charlies, 1 Delta, 1 Mike and 0 NS. Probably one of my best runs up until we did that drive by stage.

Unfortunately, we only have one more match in 2 weeks and then we shut down until March. Nobody wants to go out at 6 AM in the winter to set up targets and obstacles. I’m not a fan of winter either but it will be a boring 3 months.

·
Banned
13 Posts
Went and shot a local USPSA match this morning. The director set up two of the stages as one continuous “drive by” scenario. We sat in a golf cart with a driver and shot the targets as we went by them, around the berm to the second stage and same thing. Everybody was given an even 35 seconds to run the 2 stages.

Out of 20 paper targets and 10 steels, I had 1 Charlie 1 Delta and 48 Mikes. My final score for those two stages was 0.0228. 😫

It was kind of fun but after seeing our scores, we all told the organizer he was never allowed to do that again. 🤣
sounds more like you all need to do nothing else but practice that skill, rather than just avoiding such a challenge. what were the distances? I once shot a match like that from a heavy easy chair, in the back of a pickup truck Loved it I did very well, from having had a lot of practice during a sort of deviant teenaged period.

·
Premium Member
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sounds more like you all need to do nothing else but practice that skill, rather than just avoiding such a challenge. what were the distances? I once shot a match like that from a heavy easy chair, in the back of a pickup truck Loved it I did very well, from having had a lot of practice during a sort of deviant teenaged period.
I can’t picture a need for having the skills to successfully complete a drive by shooting. At least not unless I join a gang and start fighting rivals for drug territory.

·
GUNZILLA
7,575 Posts
I thought you were sick with the "Rona", did you feel good enough to compete to your level of standards?

·
Premium Member
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thought you were sick with the "Rona", did you feel good enough to compete to your level of standards?
I was over that several weeks before this match. As it turns out, this was our last one for the year. We were supposed to have another today but it was canceled because of spiking ‘Rona cases in our state.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts