Well this might be interesting

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by cannonman, Aug 9, 2020.

1. cannonman

cannonman Active Member

I use a 99.8% pure KCLO3 for my BP. The problem now is I'm in Tennessee where I used to be in New Mexico. Anyway, My KCLO3 came pearlized. I decided to mill it in my ball mill. I ran this for some 30 hours. It came out feeling like moist sand. So I milled it for another 20 hours. It still felt damp. I make a really nice charcoal out of Willow. I screen this as it's for my cannons. I have pucked and ground it for my flint locks. The speed of this new stuff was awful. I had suspected this and only made a few pounds. Then I took the rest of the oxidizer and spread it out in a thin sheet on a table in my gun vault. There I have a dehumidifier. I set it on continuous and left it for a few days. The stuff went from 19% to 5%. I still have yet to batch some of it but I think I found my problem. Anyone else get moist oxidizer from a high humidity climate? If so, how do you store your ingredients?

rawright54 and tedwitt like this.
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

The only way I figured out that you must be talking about making your own black powder is because this is in the Black Powder forum!:ohno::D

jim brady, ms6852, BlackEagle and 3 others like this.

3. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

Okay, I don't feel so bad now. I had no clue what you were talking about.

4. Patches

Patches Well-Known Member

Lt. Colombo mode.
    Let me see if I have the clues straight, sir.
    OP is "cannonman"; he mentions BP (Black Powder); he makes a "..nice charcoal out of Willow" (more reference to black powder stuff); he uses it for his "cannons".
    One more thing, sir and excuse me for bothering you with this but are you a rein-actor for the American Revolutionary War or the US Civil War?
    I must get back to the station now because Mrs. Calumbo expects me home on time for dinner.

ms6852, cannonman and mudman35962 like this.
  5. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The only way i knew was from your post, George.o_O Thought he was making some type of powdered Moonshine now that he moved to Tenn.;)

6. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Saw it right off....:) I'm of no help cannonman. I made BP a couple time 45 years ago and mine was quite a primitive process.

7. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

I figured he was talking about making black powder. He threw me off with the ball mill. To me, a ball mill is a piece of tooling that goes into a collet on a vertical milling machine and removes material from stock that is clamped in the vise.

45nut, Gudaki, jim brady and 5 others like this.
  8. Smoke

Smoke Well-Known Member

OH! OK after knowing what he is talking about I re-read cannonman's post & it made sense. I'm sorry I can't be of help, the only time I have made BP was as a child rolling my own for model rockets & fireworks. I barely remember the basics much less the quantities.

ms6852 and mudman35962 like this.
  9. rawright54

rawright54 Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work Supporting Member

All the black powder I've ever made was using the traditional potassium nitrate; potassium chlorate is far too dangerous. I've used it for pyrotechnics, of course, along with its even nastier cousin, the perchlorate. But both of them are very sensitive to friction, and should be kept away from sulfurous compounds - spontaneous combustion and explosions have occurred.

But I love your solution to the wet product. Many compounds in crystal form have a trapped water molecule contained in the crystal matrix, I think it's called "water of hydration." When I was playing with fire, I specified "anhydrous" chemicals when I bought them via mail order (if only the postman knew...). But on a few occasions, when I made my own chemicals from household ingredients, I got the wet stuff. I stuck it outdoors on warm days, then ground it up with a mortar and pestle, then back in the sun for more drying. Frustrating.

It sounds like you've found a perfect solution!:)

jim brady, ms6852, sharps4590 and 2 others like this.
  10. cannonman

cannonman Active Member

No. But I'd like that. Some reenactors are very stringent about what is shot. Or that since I'm considered, "Cap & Tube" I'm also considered unsafe. To each his own. Even when I try to explaine how I make them I'm not given a second look. I believe this is due to so many who had no idea what they were doing and blew themselves up. TN is a lot of fun but the rules are strange. More on this if ya like. But! I now live on a lake and have a 3.5 mile water view within canyons. Watts Bar Lake. I've shot a few of my 2" - just a cork - for the bang only. The report is just this side of awe inspiring. The sound travels down and back for some six seconds. The strength of the echo's is a joy to behold. One of the days I want to shoot one of the larger guys down there. It's a steep walk around the house. At first the neighbors thought I had created the end of the world. Now, I think, their OK with me. Thanks for your interest, BTW, what was for dinner?

KCLO4 is fun for fireworks. Too quick for a cannon. Sulfur certainly raises the ignition temp. but the stuff is really pretty inert. Example: Flintlocks and percussion cap BP rifles had steel ramrods going into steel barrels. Ever hear of an AD in one of them? Electricity is another myth.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2020
    jim brady, grcsat, sharps4590 and 2 others like this.
  11. sharps4590

Static electricity is, and yet, it perpetuates. Regardless of all the research that's been put into it. There is a vast difference between heat and spark.

rawright54 and cannonman like this.
  12. cannonman

cannonman Active Member

I think you are one of a thousand who understand this. Regardless of example. Planes getting struck by lightening... and no flame!? Once I drew an electric arch over a pile of BP. The ground was a very good ground. Of course nothing happened. I might as well have been doing magic, Everyone thought I was fooling them or the BP was something else. Oh well. Leave the dead horse alone. Nice to here your input. It's very rare

Grizzley1, joe45c, rawright54 and 2 others like this.
  13. sharps4590

You know what taught me about that? Static electricity. Black powder needs something around 450 degrees to ignite. If the static electricity we generate walking across a carpet, sliding out of a car, pulling a wool sweater off was hot enough to ignite BP we'd have little bitty burn marks on our fingers or wherever. The static that discharges when you kiss your wife would burn both your lips. Has ANYONE EVER been burned touching a door knob by static electricity? If so, please, elaborate!

joe45c, rawright54 and howlnmad like this.
  14. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

Everything he said went over my head. If I were a deer I'd have that stare when looking at headlights.

jim brady, sharps4590, joe45c and 2 others like this.
  15. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

Howlin, that's a ball end mill. :)