Well this might be interesting

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by cannonman, Aug 9, 2020.

1. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Now that's something i need to try.:)

tedwitt likes this.
  2. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

You never had that happen joe? If not, the both of you jump back and sorta look at each other in disbelief!! It's a rather shocking experience.....:D

3. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member Supporting Member

No i meant kissing my wife is something i need to try. If i tried something like that she'd think i must have bought a new gun or something worse!:eek:

4. cannonman

cannonman Active Member

Funny guys. Thx. For what it's worth: Electricity, whether in a cable or streaking across the sky or generating excitement with your wife, has no "heat". It's the ground that makes the heat. When electricity has a poor ground, heat is generated. A tree struck by lightening catches fire because of the ground. Hahahaha! Sorry, I thought that was a bit punny. I make around 6# of BP at a time due to the voracious apatite of my cannons. I did not like small mills, like a rock polisher, or the price of larger ones, so I made my own. I guess a pic would be better. But if anyone wants to make one I'd be happy to show you how I made mine. Oh and I also did not like the price of 1" lead balls for the milling, so a casted them. I really like knowing that I made the mill, the BP, the shot, the cannons. I made an electronic ignition system so that I can shoot the cannons by flipping a switch. Electronic fuses were fairly simple. My first firing apparatus was bulky and rather Frankensteinish. A friend of mine re-built this for me. Now a small hand held device is used. Awesome friend. He took apart an old camera and the part that charges the strobe, or charges a capacitor, is charged by a single AA battery. When the red light comes on, the capacitor is charged. Flip the switch and BANG! Great fun. I've yet to make friction matches. Don't know why. Well, as usual, way off topic. Thanks for the posts guys. Come on over, shoot some cannons. Bring your favorite BP guns. Who knows we could have BBQ and discuss total world domination.

5. sharps4590

Capacitor. Not quite the same but Dad used to charge up a condenser out of a distributor and toss it to me. You won't catch it but once.

Sounds like a great time c-man!! I could get a kick out of seeing your ball mill and the rest of your set up....and burning some powder!

BlackEagle, cannonman and Grizzley1 like this.
  6. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

A friend of mine has a few cannon, including a full scale replica Whitworth. It takes a lot of powder and lead to keep one of those things fed.

7. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Must be an Old Person's Thing - I thought this discussion was about medicationso_O. Cannonman - YOU DA MAN:cheers:. If I tried to do what you are doing I'd quickly become an Official Grass Root Inspector.

cannonman and Grizzley1 like this.
  8. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

:lol::rotfl::rotfl:

joe45c likes this.
  9. cannonman

cannonman Active Member

So
    So, your one of those capacitor/condenser "catch & release" guys. Sorry. Very few cap's can do that these days. How we lived through our childhood and teen years in a mystery. And then there's, "who would be caught dead wearing a helmet and knee pads to ride a bike?" Or Dad trying to see how far he could throw you in the car. Never knew what those seat belts were for? I'll try see about some picks. Anyone who's wishes to try the same, I'll break down the specific steps.

10. sharps4590

As I said, I only caught it once!!! Momma mighta raised some ugly ones but she didn't raise any stupid ones!!!

You mean the new-ish condensers out of my 50's MG's won't take a charge like the old ones? Then how do they throw a spark? If I remember right Dad grounded the body of the condenser against the engine and charged it off a spark plug wire. I don't know how he stood it but I remember watching him kill a Ford 8N tractor by grounding the plugs with his hands. Even at 85, before he got cancer and died, he still checked fire on small engines by holding the plug wire and pulling the starter rope. I was an electrician for 42 years and to get buzzed by 120 volts AC didn't bother much...unless I was grounded pretty good. But DC off a spark plug....I never have got used to that...and don't intend to. My gosh..that snap goes through me like a jolt of electricity....pun intended!!!

I drove my TF to a gas station owned by a friend because he has ethanol free premium. When I got there Rick had to come out and see it. His first comment, "Vic, that thing doesn't have seat belts". I said neither did anything else in 1955 that I know of...unless maybe Nash or Rambler did. I think one of those was first with standard seat belts but I'm not sure when they started.

cannonman, BlackEagle and joe45c like this.
  11. cannonman

cannonman Active Member

Sorry, I was referring to capacitors.