The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a Jeep like all my Facebook friends thought but the lower cost six shooter from Ruger.
Stopped by the LGS just over the border last Wednesday to see what they might have for components (nothing I could use) and to poke around a bit.

Sitting in the revolver case were three Wranglers with the new birdshead grips. An all black, silver/black, and bronze/black. All tagged "MA O.K." I had no real interest in the regular Wranglers when they came out as I already have a couple Single Sixes and a Single Ten but the announcement of the birdshead version had gotten my attention.
Looking at them in the case put me in a Goldilocks moment. The all black was too plain, the bronze/black was too gaudy, but the silver/black was just right (if they had a Talo version though...).

Living on the wrong side of the border meant that I had to wait until last Friday to pick it up from my local FFL. Once home I gave the bore and chambers a cleaning and gathered up some various .22lr ammo so I'd be ready to try it out at the range after Sunday morning trap.

Sunday was a bit on the windy side so I set a target up at only 7 yards (hard to shoot for groups when the whole target is flopping back and forth!), loaded it up with Remington Goldens, got off two shots, then the action didn't want to fully function! The hammer wouldn't cock back all the way and lock the cylinder to the next chamber. After a couple seconds of WTH!?!? I remembered my Single Ten used to have issues with Rem Goldens not fully seating in the chambers. Cleared the Wrangler and the action worked fine with an empty cylinder. Reloaded with Winchester Dynapoints and everything went as it should. After two cylinders worth went down range I could see that the Wrangler hits low and a bit to the left using a regular two hand hold. A buddy of mine that was there got the same results when he shot the Wrangler. Next time out I'll shoot it from a rest to see if it's the gun or us.

After the Dynapoints I switched back to Goldens making sure to firmly push them into the chambers (Goldens seemed to be a bit fatter than some of the other brands I shot). This time around the Wrangler functioned flawlessly so it was an ammo/operator issue the first time. The Goldens also shot low left but at this point I just wanted to get a feel for what the Wrangler liked to eat.

Of course I didn't take notes or snap any pictures of the targets but groups ranged from decent half dollar size with Aguila Competition (what's up with Aguila smelling like Krazy Glue when fired?!?!?) to "I get better groups with a shotgun" with Remington Thunderturds (A keyhole at 7 yards? Really???). I will say that once I made sure ammo was fully seated in the chambers, every round fired. The firing pin hits HARD! Shot at least 150 rounds using CCI Standard, CCI Mini-mags, Rem Golden, Rem Thunderturds, Federal Automatch, Aguila Competition, Aguila Super Cobri, and older Winchester Dynapoint.

As far as the revolver itself there's things I liked and things I didn't care for (keep in mind I only cleaned the bore and chambers before shooting)...
Wranglers are known to have rather stiff loading gates. The one on mine wasn't bad and seemed to get better as the day went on.
I LOVE that the cylinder is free spinning when the gate is open!!!! No more "Darn I missed that chamber" when loading or unloading. Miss a hole? Just turn the cylinder back instead of all the way around. Ruger should've made that standard on all of their SA revolvers.
The birdshead shape and grips fits my hands well but the stock plastic grips are kind of on the chintzy side.
Ruger hid the "Warning! Read the manual before use! billboard" on the underside of the barrel where you have to look to find it (a good thing IMHO). I didn't even notice it was there until half way through the shooting session.
The ejector rod has a gritty feel to the spring when in use. Could be a burr in the housing, could just need a little light grease.
With a 3.75" barrel the head of the base pin is short and not easy to get a hold of but there's no slop either.
The silver on silver front sight/rear sight groove is difficult to see. Shooting at a black target, the sights just shadow out and blur together. Visibility when shooting at a light colored target was much better. The nail polish might be coming out for this one.

Overall it's a fun plinker that I'm glad I added to the collection.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Congratulations on your Wrangler. I got one to shoot shotshells in for mice, wasps, and tin cans. The barrel is almost always leaded up to the point of being a smooth bore, and any solids all keyhole at 50 feet lol. I had a box of Goldens about four years ago that had many with rims too thick for revolver. Worked ok in bolt, lever, or auto. Have newer boxes that are ok so far.

Reactions: Hawk32

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This thread made me want to take mine out and shoot it, SO tomorrow I am taking it to the range. Unlike John, I will take a picture of mine with one of the targets that I shoot.
Well, tomorrow is trap day at the R&G club. I'll bring my new Wrangler along and try to take some pictures of it at the range.

·
Registered
218 Posts
To stir the pot a bit......

Why did you pick the Wrangler? I think we can all agree the ruger single six is a different class of gun. I would put the wrangler up against the heritage as being the same class.

Stupid safety thing on the heritage, taurus......just interested in your thoughts.

I bought a heritage YEARS before ruger decided to get into the cheapo single action market, so there really was not another choice for cheap goof off 22's out there like this. No way around it they are just fun likely for the same reason a lever gun is just fun.

·
Registered
Keltec ,S&W, Taurus, AMT, Ruger, Browning, Diamondback.....
42 Posts
I shopped all day Monday, all the gun shops, pawn shops within 25 miles of Winter Haven FL. I was specifically looking for a 22WMR wheelgun. Best price was the Heritage Rough Rider 6 shooter,($199 to $220) which is convertible to 22mag if you order a cylinder. The "Tactical Cowboy" ($268)was a cool version, threaded barrel and Picitinny rail for optics. Single action. I was also tempted by the Ruger Wrangler, ($280ish) again, 6 shooter, single action. I was pretty undecided, until one dealer told me about the Diamondback Sidekick. 9 shot, single/ dbl action. Comes with both 22lr and 22mag cylinders. He said he could not get me one, "because of the way things are". I had planned to find one online and having it shipped to local. I stopped at one more store on the way home, told that dealer that I was looking for a 22mag wheelgun with a 8 or 9 capacity. He said he knew of nothing like that. Then I saw the Sidekick in his display case. He did not know what he had. He was SURE it was 6 shot, single action. I got him to commit to the price on the tag, $345, and them demonstrated the 9 shot, double action to him. 20 minutes for background check, I left with it. I asked him to call me if he got another. Enjoyed it at the range, a little low and to the left on dbl action, closer at single, 20yrds. Love it. In a couple of weeks I might let my girlfriend know I bought it. Let us know how that Wrangler performs.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To stir the pot a bit......

Why did you pick the Wrangler? I think we can all agree the ruger single six is a different class of gun. I would put the wrangler up against the heritage as being the same class.

Stupid safety thing on the heritage, taurus......just interested in your thoughts.
I'm in Massachusetts where we have an "Approved Firearms Roster" (whole can of worms there as it restricts what dealers can sell, not what people can own). Manufacturers have to submit their handguns in for testing and pay a chunk of change if they want FFL's to be able to sell particular models in this state. Some companies won't even bother with it all so their handguns aren't available through a MA dealer/FFL (Heritage is one of them).

If Heritage was available through a dealer, I might have gone with one of their birdshead models if they offer it (still can't get a straight answer if their carbine is MA O.K. which I'd buy in a hot minute!)
Been wanting a birdshead grip but can't justify the cost of a regular Ruger SA with one if I could even find one or spending $$ on a birdshead grip frame and going through all the work to convert one of my regular Ruger SA's.

I liked the looks of the Wrangler I bought, the NH dealer had it tagged as being "MA O.K.", my FFL guy had no issue doing the transfer to me, I had the $$ in my pocket to buy a new gun, and I know Ruger typically has excellent customer service if needed. Plus it's the first BRAND NEW gun I've bought in several years! Most of my purchases are "new to me" guns.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First a quick update on the initial issue of when the action was hanging up. That was an ID10T event of me not having the base pin fully inserted causing the transfer bar to catch the firing pin if the gun was pointed down at all when cocking.

Went and put some more rounds down range today and I hate to say but I might have to send this one back to Ruger:oops:

Long story short, shooting off a rest didn't improve the groups or where they landed. If anything groups got worse using the rest! Back to shooting freehand it seemed at times I'd have an O.K. group going then get some flyers. Looking at the target afterwards I noticed quite a few more keyholes and I wasn't shooting any of the Remington Thunderturds. Figured the barrel might've gotten leaded up as I hadn't cleaned it after shooting on Sunday.
While cleaning the gun tonight I noticed a fair bit of lead build up around the forcing cone and underside of the top strap. Bore wasn't too terrible BTW.
Popped the cylinder back in and decided to do a poor mans cylinder alignment check. A 7/32 drill shank will just fit in the bore of of most Ruger .22 single actions. Grabbed my 7/32" transfer punch, clocked the hammer, pull the trigger so the chamber is in firing position and carefully side the punch down the bore to the cylinder and feel for it catching or not on the chamber throat. While the punch didn't come to a dead stop at any of the chambers, I did feel it catch pretty good on a couple chambers and lightly catch on a couple more. So it might have a timing issue causing lead to shave off the bullets.

Now that I've cleaned the bore I'll give it one more try this Sunday using a fresh backing board on a target. If there's more keyholes, I'll be contacting Ruger.

And before gdmoody lectures me again, here's a pic of the Wrangler, the pile of empty brass I shot today, and the target I shot at!

Luggage and bags Bag Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive design
Wood Drinkware Scratch awl Cup Coffee
Plant Font Gas Grass Circle

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
Well if you do need to send it back Ruger makes it as painless as possible. Call them you get a ups shipping label the next day. Pack it up and let ups pick it up from your front porch. I had to send a single action revolver to them for a broken hand and if remember correctly UPS brought it back to my front porch in just over a week.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm in Massachusetts where we have an "Approved Firearms Roster" (whole can of worms there as it restricts what dealers can sell, not what people can own). Manufacturers have to submit their handguns in for testing and pay a chunk of change if they want FFL's to be able to sell particular models in this state. Some companies won't even bother with it all so their handguns aren't available through a MA dealer/FFL (Heritage is one of them).

If Heritage was available through a dealer, I might have gone with one of their birdshead models if they offer it (still can't get a straight answer if their carbine is MA O.K. which I'd buy in a hot minute!)
Been wanting a birdshead grip but can't justify the cost of a regular Ruger SA with one if I could even find one or spending $$ on a birdshead grip frame and going through all the work to convert one of my regular Ruger SA's.

I liked the looks of the Wrangler I bought, the NH dealer had it tagged as being "MA O.K.", my FFL guy had no issue doing the transfer to me, I had the $$ in my pocket to buy a new gun, and I know Ruger typically has excellent customer service if needed. Plus it's the first BRAND NEW gun I've bought in several years! Most of my purchases are "new to me" guns.
Thanks for clearing that up for me.....approved firearms roster, good grief.

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
Thanks for the picture, I like the looks of that birdshead grip. If my LGS had had one like that, I would have gotten it instead of the one I did.
When the Wrangle first came out I said I would buy one with a 3.75" barrel and birds head grip but the regular one was too good to pass on. I had been looking at Rough riders of and on for years as a cheap knock around revolver, just couldn't get past that stupid safety. Then they came out with the short barrel birds head and my LGS got a couple of the Talo units in with the wood grips, holster and cobalt blue cerakote finish........I now have two Wranglers. No they are not single sixes, in what world could anyone expect a pistol to rival one that costs almost three times as much. They are what they are and are well worth the money IMHO.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
It could be sharp edges at the start of the rifling causing accuracy and leading issues. Shine a pin light in the muzzle and see if it has any leade-in just behind to forcing cone. A local smith or handgun club shop might be able to clean it up for you. I've even seen newer mdl 29 s&w revolvers have this issue - about all the SAA clones have to be smoothed out at the forcing cone before they shoot right (11 deg works good for lead bullets). Angle may not matter much with 22rf as long as it has a leade-in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts