The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went shooting today with my brother in law. I only took two guns today and they were my Ruger 44 spl. 3 screw revolver, and my Ruger Blackhawk 357 magnum 50 Year Anniversary revolver. The weather was in the 70's with a light breeze and we had a blast.

My old 44 spl 3 screw is one of my all time favorites. It is totally tuned and the trigger pull is like glass. If a shooter can't hit the target with this gun they can't blame the gun. The trigger it right at about 3 lbs. This gun was ordered as a .357 but was converted to 44 spl when I was in the third grade. I even shot it in the third grade so it is pretty near anbd dear to me.

The 50 Year Anniversary Blackhawk has an OK trigger, but I will never brag about it. I do plan on having a nice action job put on it when I am ready to put the cash out but until then a pop can at 50 yards is no problem.

I guess I should note that in the pic the 3 screw is on the bottom.

Overall, it was a nice day. :D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,866 Posts
Those sa rugers are a lot of fun.

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those sa rugers are a lot of fun.
Yes they are. I like shooting anything I can get my hands on, but in order of preference for handguns I like to shoot my SA Rugers first and my 1911 second. I enjoy shooting my rifles as much as my SA Rugers.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
In the late 19th Century American frontier, large .44- and .45-caliber cartridges were considered the epitome of handgun ammunition for self-protection and hunting. Black-powder rounds such as the .44 American, .44 Russian, .44-40 Winchester, and .45 Colt enjoyed a well-earned reputation for effective terminal ballistics, accuracy, and reliability. Nothing has changed! These are still the most accurate, and effective calibers on the market.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
I've seen some of your posts were you showed us some of your single action pistols.They are lots of fun to shoot.I have several myself but in 22/22magnum not the larger calibers.These guns give you a sense of western nostalgic kinda feeling when you shoot them.I'm really starting to like lever/action guns a lot.Do you ever shoot any lever guns along with those single action guns.

·
Registered
17,284 Posts
That 44. Was the barrel bobbed when it was converted, or did it come that way?

OM 357s, far as I know, came 4 5/8 and 6 1/2. Based on these 6 1/2s, that's a 5 1/2.

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've seen some of your posts were you showed us some of your single action pistols.They are lots of fun to shoot.I have several myself but in 22/22magnum not the larger calibers.These guns give you a sense of western nostalgic kinda feeling when you shoot them.I'm really starting to like lever/action guns a lot.Do you ever shoot any lever guns along with those single action guns.
I have a lever action .22 that I have fun with but I need to get it out and run some through it. I want several more lever actions, kind of like a Marlin .357 and .44. Yes, the SA revolvers have personality and I sure enjoy shooting them.

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That 44. Was the barrel bobbed when it was converted, or did it come that way?

OM 357s, far as I know, came 4 5/8 and 6 1/2. Based on these 6 1/2s, that's a 5 1/2.

Alpo, as far as I know, in the 70's when my father had it converted it was custom done. There are no markings on the barrel and yes, it is a 5 1/2" barrel. The gun was very well done. It has had many many rounds shot through it and as the picture shows the drag lines on the cylinder are minimal. The action breakover is crisp and it is addictive to shoot. It is also accurate to say the least.

That's a fine set of revolvers in that pic Alpo.

·
Registered
17,284 Posts
My little girl thinks so too. That's why she stole 'em from me a few years back.

·
Premium Member
19,866 Posts
I have a lever action .22 that I have fun with but I need to get it out and run some through it. I want several more lever actions, kind of like a Marlin .357 and .44. Yes, the SA revolvers have personality and I sure enjoy shooting them.
I have the Marlin 44 lever gun. It is a lot of fun to shot. My son has been looking for the 357 for 2 years. The Marlin website still lists them but he can't find one anywhere.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts