The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
View attachment 98299 View attachment 98300 Did a job for a guy, super easy, siliconed a counter, maybe two hours tops, while bs-ing about guns and war. At the end of the job, he gave me a choice. $50, or a Western Field .22, model 75-EY, 8-shot single-double, a little bit worn, with a superficial crack in the grip, but it functions awesome, and it came in a hand made leather holster belt made for a .22 with 40 bullet loops for .22 cartridges! I figure the belt and holster alone are worth the job just in cool factor alone, but to have a revolver that fits it absolutely perfect, I couldn't pass it up in exchange for time.

But it made me realize there is absolutely no information on these revolvers anywhere! And even less information on where to find parts!

So that's my point I guess.

I love the little gun already, it shoots awesome, looks good, and I like the feel of it! And it's an attractive belt, all black, no nonsense, western style, right hand draw, and it's got real positive retention. The pistol itself is just kickass in my opinion.

But does anybody know anything about these things? Know where to get any reliable information? Or know where to get any replacemt parts, or if there's even such a thing as parts available for these things!?

Ideally I'd like a new cylinder, just because, and new grips, or grip as it is, to replace the existing grip as it has a slight superficial crack. It looks bad, but it's not all the way through, and it's not new at all. Well! In the near future I might do some work on the trigger and hammer, maybe polish it up for a crisp break, and fashion a hammer extension, maybe even a whole new hammer. Anyways! I know it's probably not worth the work value wise, but I like it, and it's pretty cool, and shoots great, so why not have fun with it? Not like I can truly ruin it by improving it! After all, it's a Wester Field, probably cost $75 back in 1962-ish.

·
Premium Member
19,327 Posts
Western Field is just a name brand not a gun manufacturer. I can't find a cross reference on an M 75 but I bet its an Iver Johnston.

Getting parts may be hard but custom parts would need to be hand made. That being said I think you got a very good deal if its a good shooter.

·
Premium Member
9,308 Posts
I think it's a Iver Jhonson sealed eight solid. Made for Montgomery Wards.
There are some parts out there for these.
Mike

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Two things: Why "fix" it or bugger it if it's not broken?; The other - the cost of those back in 1960s was much closer to $20 to $30 new. You have a dandy little .22 revolver there! Enjoy it and shoot the daylights out of it.

·
Super Moderator
26,158 Posts
I wish that I could get payment like that at times. Sweet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Western Field is just a name brand not a gun manufacturer. I can't find a cross reference on an M 75 but I bet its an Iver Johnston.

Getting parts may be hard but custom parts would need to be hand made. That being said I think you got a very good deal if its a good shooter.

Yes it's an Iver Johnson, made in 1962 if my research proves correct.

Two things: Why "fix" it or bugger it if it's not broken?; The other - the cost of those back in 1960s was much closer to $20 to $30 new. You have a dandy little .22 revolver there! Enjoy it and shoot the daylights out of it.
Well to tell you the truth, I have the time, I've got the patience, and the tools, so why not? It's a great little piece, and I'd like to restore it and make it a great shooter as well as a good looking gun. Doesn't hurt to improve a good shooter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts