The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran some cases through my sonic case cleaner today.
They were in the solution about 2 hours.

I later noticed that some of them had new primers in them.

Are the primers still OK to use?

Thank you,
Dale

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did not think they would be OK.
I had heard that water does not effect primers. However soaking they for 2 hours made me wonder.

I think I will let them air dry for a few day a pop them out.
I may smack on with a hammer again.

Thanks for the replies,
Dale

·
Premium Member
12,886 Posts
Don't charge them with powder and bullet but load a few into the firearm they're chambered for and see if they go off. Can't lose anything by trying.

·
Registered
7,814 Posts
You already have learned this - pay attention to what you are doing - especially when it comes to reloading.

Those primers are useless. Their reliability has been compromised. You go to use them when you REALLY need one to work - and it may not. If I were in your shoes, I'd just call it 'A lesson learned' and move on.

·
Registered
5,521 Posts
Even if used in target loads IMHO they might bring the possibility of erratic ignition. Bringing crummy accuracy or squibs.......... I would write them off and I’m a cheapskate.

·
Premium Member
12,886 Posts
Sooo...I have this niggling question. All who say toss 'em, period. Have you done the same thing and if so, did you try any of the primers before you tossed them? I'm still of the opinion and, if it were me, without asking, I would try 5 or 10 of them without being loaded. Even if all 5 or10 went off I don't think I'd use them in a self defense or hunting load but I wouldn't be afraid to load them in plinking/play ammo and might even chronograph a few just to see how much, if any, they were compromised. Keep them segregated. If you get a squib....soooo....it shouldn't be that much of a surprise and a squib hurts nothing if your cognizant of it.

If you tried 5-10 and say......30% failed, then I'd probably toss 'em. I don't believe I would toss them if the failure rate was 10% or less....but that's just me. 'Course, it shouldn't have happened in the first place but.....let he among us who hasn't done something stupid cast the first primer in the trash..... 😁

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
I think I will let them air dry for a few day a pop them out.
I may smack on with a hammer again.

Thanks for the replies,
Dale
[EDIT]

You said “smack with a hammer” ?!?!? I would strongly suggest not doing that if that is your intention to rend the primers inert. You may end up with a trip to the ER to have shrapnel removed.

If possible with your sizing die adjust the depriming stem down/out as far as possible and still be able to lock it. This will set the depriming stem’s pin far enough out that you should be able to run the cartridge case up into the sizing die without sizing it but push the primer out. Bring the ram up slowly to push out the primer. Slow pressure will in most cases not set off the primer. Ware safety glasses and hearing protection if one does pop. Primers by them self’s are very loud.

To render primers inert, soak them with a thin penetrating oil such as WD-40.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts