The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! Brand new to the forum and happy to be here!
So. Me and three other buddys went target shooting in the washougal area and we came across a gate that we went around casue there was no people back there so I thought "hey this would be a good place to shoot some targets!" So hour and a half later we packed up and head back to our vehicles and there was a game warden waiting for us there. She said it was weyerhouser property and that there was a sign outside that didn't see casue its 10' tall and is worn out and had bullet holes thru it. We didn't shoot any trees, we picked up our trash, and were compliant and she said she would let the land owners know that. She said we could get a fine up to 1000 bucks but didnt say anything about jail or even the amount of the fine so now me and my buddys wait for a call or some mail for a "court date". Has anyone done the same thing? What was the outcome? Just a little worried. Thanks!

·
Junior Advanced Senior Member In Training
7,653 Posts
What they said...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Take a picture of the sign that you didn't see, it may do you some good in court. Of course, the judge is still going to ask you why you didn't see the gate. Sounds like the warden expects you to be charged with Criminal Trespass, Second Degree. You could get 90 days as a guest of the county.

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
I learn something on seemingly every thread here. I had no idea what "Weyerhaeuser" was before this post. I thought it was an area somewhere. Now, I'm more informed and even more certain that my choice not to trespass has been a good one over 40+ years. ;)

·
Registered
423 Posts
and she said she would let the land owners know that.
Perhaps I am missing something but why didn't the game warden cite you for the trespass? OR are WA Game Wardens NOT LEOs ?

How can the 'landowner' levy a fine against you? Will they eventually get law enforcement involved to accomplish this?

I have no experience with this and do not understand the procedure.

I HAVE however heard various stories about Weyerhaeuser and how they are pretty draconic about their land.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Perhaps I am missing something but why didn't the game warden cite you for the trespass? OR are WA Game Wardens NOT LEOs ?

How can the 'landowner' levy a fine against you? Will they eventually get law enforcement involved to accomplish this?

She didn't give any of us a paper saying anything, just a verbal saying of a fine for target shooting and trespassing. Maybe she did that on purpose so we wont go to jail? I honestly dont know. This was in Washington state

Take a picture of the sign that you didn't see, it may do you some good in court. Of course, the judge is still going to ask you why you didn't see the gate. Sounds like the warden expects you to be charged with Criminal Trespass, Second Degree. You could get 90 days as a guest of the county.
Thank you for the link! I tried finding some laws about trespassing but I couldn't find any thing on it so...thanks!

I shall do that as well!

·
Registered
136 Posts

I HAVE however heard various stories about Weyerhaeuser and how they are pretty draconic about their land.
Not all that familiar with WA law. I'm guessing that she has to get someone from Weyerhauser to swear out a complaint before a citation can be issued.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not all that familiar with WA law. I'm guessing that she has to get someone from Weyerhauser to swear out a complaint before a citation can be issued.
She said she was going to call weyerhouser about the incident and how it went and then what they would like to do going forward. It was a strange encounter to say the least, definitely very different from a police officer pulling me over in a car for example.

I would love to provide more info on the matter but what I shared from the beginning is all I know! So now I'm left in the dark wondering if I'm going to jail or if I'm paying a fine or if I'm getting a slap on the wrist I cant say!🙄😒 all I know is I'm only shooting at my usual spots and not going to venture out from there. I'll keep this thread updated on what happens just in case someone else fu#@$ up like me.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'm guessing that she has to get someone from Weyerhauser to swear out a complaint before a citation can be issued.
But can this be done without someone from Weyerhaeuser actually witnessing the trespass?

If the game warden did not issue a citation, or have one issued at the time then I fail to see a legal means for Weyerhaeuser to act on it as there is no documentation (such as a signed citation) you were even there.

The game warden works for the State and NOT Weyerhaeuser. Therefore if she informs Weyerhauser of your trespassing I see no legal means for them to facilitate a fine you as you did not sign a citation for the offense and I would use this to fight it as you were not cited.

I once knew an LEO who lost a DUI because he failed to issue a citation for the original reason for his traffic stop of the person which was a taillight out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
But can this be done without someone from Weyerhaeuser actually witnessing the trespass?

If the game warden did not issue a citation, or have one issued at the time then I fail to see a legal means for Weyerhaeuser to act on it as there is no documentation (such as a signed citation) you were even there.

The game warden works for the State and NOT Weyerhaeuser. Therefore if she informs Weyerhauser of your trespassing I see no legal means for them to facilitate a fine you as you did not sign a citation for the offense and I would use this to fight it as you were not cited.
Yeah I never signed anything, she Took pictures of our ID's? Could that be an issue? I never signed anything tho so I will use that!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Yeah I never signed anything, she Took pictures of our ID's? Could that be an issue? I never signed anything tho so I will use that!
IF WA has a law where game Wardens are considered legal witnesses to a violation and CAN ask for and take pics of your ID's for this purpose then, well you may still be fined but typically unless the warden was a certified LEO then I do not see how they (game wardens) can do this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The warden did have someone with her. She didn't have any official clothing and didn't say anything the whole time so I'm wondering if she was a trainee or a job shadow person.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts