The Firearms Forum banner
81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,711 Posts
Guess I’m just wired differently. I could never take a chance with someone’s life just because some stupid kids wandered where they didn’t belong. Seems like yelling at them did the trick just fine.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Guess I’m just wired differently. I could never take a chance with someone’s life just because some stupid kids wandered where they didn’t belong. Seems like yelling at them did the trick just fine.
That's why I said if they weren't in front of the target. If your hitting your target already and they are way off to the side. how is it possible that you are risking their lives. they should be in no danger at all but they wouldn't know that. Unless you are shooting steel and are worried about a ricochet.

·
Premium Member
10,711 Posts
how is it possible that you are risking their lives.
They were directly above the 300 yard steel gong target by about 20’ and maybe 50-75 yards back. Do as you wish but I’m not taking that shot.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I like "Beware of the Dog, he is off his Meds, and Unstable."

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi there! Brand new to the forum and happy to be here!
So. Me and three other buddys went target shooting in the washougal area and we came across a gate that we went around casue there was no people back there so I thought "hey this would be a good place to shoot some targets!" So hour and a half later we packed up and head back to our vehicles and there was a game warden waiting for us there. She said it was weyerhouser property and that there was a sign outside that didn't see casue its 10' tall and is worn out and had bullet holes thru it. We didn't shoot any trees, we picked up our trash, and were compliant and she said she would let the land owners know that. She said we could get a fine up to 1000 bucks but didnt say anything about jail or even the amount of the fine so now me and my buddys wait for a call or some mail for a "court date". Has anyone done the same thing? What was the outcome? Just a little worried. Thanks!
You were TRESSPASSING without permission! What part of that do you not understand?! If it were MY property I'd have you ARRESTED!!! Show some RESPECT!!!

Well now I know! I've gone shooting up in that area before but never behind that gate so the thought never occurred to me. Thank you all for your input!
You should not be shooting ANYWHER that you do not own or have PERMISSION to do so. There ARE laws!!!

Be thankful the landowner didn't shoot YOU!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Had a similar situation many moons ago, my best friend and I used to go and shoot beside the river under the bridges going over it for years. One day after about 20 years of shooting there (we were not the only ones) we are headed back to the truck and met by a man in plain clothes who was leaning on the truck. Now we generally just shot .22's here because the location and not any type of viable long range shooting space. The man was very polite and older, didn't ask the silly question of 'what are you doing', but did ask if we had cleaned up after ourselves and the so forth, we said yes except we did not police the brass. He asked if we had been shooting into the river itself, we said 'no', we had brought our own targets. He said 'good', then introduced himself, the local Game Warden for Kaufman county, TX and that we were illegally shooting on state 'controlled' land. Now mind you, there are no gates or fences to cross to get where we were, but in Texas, a Game warden carries more power than the LEO's when it comes to anything 'considered' involving wildlife and land. We stated that we were not aware of that being 'controlled' state land and we had been coming down there for years without a problem, he said ' he understood and that he himself had been shooting there since he was a young boy', but the new land owners next to it had complained about trespassers on their land and all the trash left behind, as well as damage to the land. We told him we were aware of it being private property next to it (gate & fence pretty much self explanatory), but the land between theirs and the highway was public land and open access (no gate or fence). He said he understood, but the law had shifted towards land owner rights more so now than ever before and kindly asked us to go to a more shooter friendly spot (gun range or own land), no ticket, no fuss, but we got the message. I say all of this because that happened about 15years ago, and the private land has changed hands again, but there is still access to the river. One day about 6years ago i was down there in the Jeep looking around for a place to drop my kayak in, when two guys came up on ATV's with AR's slung on their backs and side arms on them. One pulled in front of me,the other came up on my driver side about 15 ft. out, he asked me what I was doing, I told them it was none of their business, he then precedes to tell me it is because they own private land next to where we are, I politely tell him we are all on public land sitting where we were. He says they were having 'trouble' with trespassers and wanted to confirm I was not trespassing so he wouldn't have to 'handle the situation', I reminded him again we were not on his land and riding up on ATV's with weapons in the open did not bode well for him or his partner, also asked him to keep his hands off said weapons so there would not be a 'situation'. He said he was calling the police, I said please do, so he does and the police are there rather quickly (mostly because we are a small town & they have nothing better to do), he tells his side of the story, I tell mine and the police go and talk it over among themselves.
Conclusion : I am free to go, they are warned about being on public land in what was perceived as a threatening manner and to 'stay on their side of the fence'. Trespassing down here can lead to all sorts of problems a person doesn't want and that is before the police show up.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I can relate LIT. I had indicated in a previous post that I am a long time Kayaker. (Since about 1972) We have had confrontations with Land owners about being on the river traveling through their property. The Law Navigable Travel. You may own the land, but you do not own the river.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The first time we went to Hawaii we learned that a long time ago there was a law made that said you could own private property, but everyone has access to the coastline because fishing was considered essential to life on the islands. Not sure if that still stands, but it was still implemented the last couple of times we went, we did notice there were pathways all over the place that led to the coastlines. We have only been on three of the islands, but it appeared the same on all of them, of the Locals were not willing to give up the best places and I don't blame them one bit. Hopefully we get to make another trip back soon, thanks to COVID I missed out on a guided kayak tour that was supposed to be top notch.

·
Registered
278 Posts
In Hawai'i, there IS no such thing as a "private beach"- other than those on a military installation. Everyone has access to the ocean. George Harrison bought a home out there, closed off the beach- and learned that even a Beatle is not going to do that in Hawai'i. Yes, the state law is still in effect.

·
Registered
479 Posts
In Texas trespassing alone is a misdemeanor, trespassing with a firearm is a felony. I’ll never put myself in that position intentionally. Mistakes happen, and everyone understands that, but crossing a gate or a fence is not a mistake. By all the grief he’s been given here, and what seams like a Hard Warning by the game warden I’m sure he’s learned his lesson.

·
TFF Chaplain
21,233 Posts
Five pages, 95 posts. His only appearance was the day he made all 9 of his posts. He hasn't been back.

Reactions: joe45c and tedwitt

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
Have you NEVER shot in the forest ?

Well I have ALL My life and just because it may be 'officially' called a 'forest' does not mean it necessarily has trees.

In Oregon there is treeless desert that is part of the 'National Forest'.

Even in forested areas most people understand it is illegal to shoot at trees and find dirt banks or pits for proper backstops.

Take a look at the pic below of one of my shooting areas and note furthest out target (left of the spotting scope). It has a dirt bank behind it and higher rock wall a bit behind it.

Pretty dang 'Dangerous and reckless' huh ?
View attachment 250149
I certainly have shot my rifles in a forest. Where I hunt elk it's unavoidable, or when squirrel hunting. But I never shot at trees, and I was always aware of my target and what was beyond. I didn't mean to start a urinating match with anyone. The OP was flat out wrong, and a trespasser. Why defend him?

·
Registered
423 Posts
The OP was flat out wrong, and a trespasser. Why defend him?
I wasn't 'defending' him - yes he was trespassing and was wrong and I was past that.

I responded to your post with an attempt to answer your question you asked:
'What else is there to shoot in a forest if you're not hunting? Sounds dangerous and reckless.'

Your question 'What else is there to shoot' suggested you have never shot at anything else in a forest (other than animals when hunting) and I was hoping to show you it does not have to be 'dangerous and reckless' when proper care is taken to find a less treed area and a proper backstop. Make sense?

So was I able to effectively convince you there ARE other things to shoot in a forest if you are not hunting?

81 - 100 of 100 Posts