The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m a painter that deals with dust and paint obviously wall paint oil paint all that stuff what would be a good carry gun for me that I can get dirty and dusty that won’t mess up if I clean it with laquor cleaner or paint thiner

·
Registered
210 Posts
A wagner power paint gun?

Just kidding.

Maybe a low end SS 38spl 5 shot but replace any rubber grips with wood. If you can get some ammo for it. S&W 637 or similar. I would stay away from the plastic guns with the solvents.

380 ammo is slim to none and cost as much as 44mag right now if you can find it. 9mm is easier to find and cheaper but 9mm guns are typicaly heavier and harder to pack.

·
Registered
906 Posts
642 S&W Airweight.

I have a lot to choose from. This has become my EDC. Last Poll we did on the other side, a lot of other people agreed. 642 was a predominant piece. Idiot proof, reliable, lightweight, if 5 rounds of .38 Special Hollow Points won't do it, your in a Gun Battle. Not very likely.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
I would pocket carry a Ruger LCR in a nemesis holster. The LCR is available in 22lr, 22 mag, 327 fed mag,( it can fire 32acp,32 S&W, 32 long 32 H&R mag and 327....might be a handi attribute in these days of hit and miss ammo availability :unsure:) 9mm , 39 special and 357 mag. The nemesis holster is neoprene and cheap( no big heart ache if it needs to be replaced periodically) and should protect most of the revolver. Unless your swimming in paint that should survive your daily activities.
I would make every effort to avoid the need to use solvents to clean the gun up, line your pocket as empty holster suggests but as an amateur painter I can’t imagine a professional is sloppier than me;). .

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
No plastic gun.
Those nice steel smiths are fine revolvers, they don’t give them away. Break my heart to subject it to the abuse of this topic. I would come up with a method to keep the weapon as clean as possible. Steel, aluminum plastic whatever if you get it so fouled with paint it requires a solvent bath you are gumming up the innards and I certainly wouldn’t want to count on it under dire circumstances.

·
Registered
871 Posts
My grandson and I painted the outside of the house this year with brushes and rollers and cleaned them after each days work and at all times I had either a small .380 Ruger LCP custom or a CA stainless .38 special Undercover in my pants pocket in a pocket holster. There is some paint on my boots, my hat, pants and shirts I wore, but none on either handgun.

Leave it in your pocket and forget about it. The only time it might come in contact with paints or solvents would be if you had to use it while painting or cleaning up. Otherwise, don't touch it until your hands are dry and clean and you should have no problems.

Small lightweight snub nose revolvers like the 642, Ruger LCR, Charter Arms Undercover at 16 ounces or their lighter aluminum frame model would be fine along with the small pocket .380 autos with a solid reputation. Steel frame snub nose revolvers would also work but are a bit heavy for daily pocket carry for most people and tend to pull your pants down just a bit, unless you use suspenders or wear bibs..

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Look for a RIA M200 .38 Special. My wife and I both owned one and they are dependable little revolvers. Both of ours were fairly accurate for fixed sight guns and they’re relatively inexpensive compared to S&W or Ruger.

The trick is:
1) Finding a gun in the current market.
2) Finding ammo.

And as already mentioned, .38 is costing pretty dear right now.

Your other option might be a .22 WMR revolver but even that ammo is hard to find.

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Another revolver vote

I carried a Ruger SP101 .357, for 8 years. Some will say it is too heavy. I would forget it was there.
My buddy carries his inside the bib of his overalls. Took an Uncle Mike's holster and attached HD velcro. Sewed the other strip inside the bib. Works great.
I kinda miss my SP101. It was a good carry gun. Not one I would recommend for his environment though. Would be a shame to mess up that pretty stainless steel!

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
642 S&W Airweight.

I have a lot to choose from. This has become my EDC. Last Poll we did on the other side, a lot of other people agreed. 642 was a predominant piece. Idiot proof, reliable, lightweight, if 6 rounds of .38 Special Hollow Points won't do it, your in a Gun Battle. Not very likely.
I think ya' meant 5 rounds... ;) In any case, make sure the 642 is usable for the intended owner. I lightened up the hammer and trigger springs in my wife's 642 with Wilson Combat pieces and the trigger pull still drew her off target, but she's a sub-100 pound female with less hand strength.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts