What any father would do

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1952Sniper, Mar 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Shizamus
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/25/03 10:08:54 am)
    Reply What any father would do
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Protect your family....and go to prison, check it out :

www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=30683

www.gcnlive.com
    www.prisonplanet.com

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/26/03 10:56:37 am)
    Re: What any father would do
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Shizamus... I'd done the same thing and I understand the predicament he's now in.
    I hope and pray he's cleared of any wrong doings.

Quote:
    "Tell the gossipers and liars I will see them in the fire" - Johnny Cash, Let the train whistle blow

ZiggedandZagged@aol.com

MTaylor
    (1/26/03 11:06:38 am)
    Reply Re: What any father would do
    That's why I live in Texas. It's not just an accident of birth. Texas Statutes provide for the right of an individual to use deadly force to not only protect his own life and property, but the life and property of another.

Plus it's warmer in Texas this time of year!

pickenup
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/26/03 3:20:52 pm)
    I wish more states were like Texas.

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/26/03 3:56:57 pm)
    The man's use of deadly force does not appear to be the issue. He is charged with the possession of an unregistered handgun under NY law and unfortunately it appears pretty black-and-white.

One might presume that had the handgun been registered, he would be in no trouble at all. It is unfortunate that governments buy into all that gun registration crap, but they do. Until thinking citizens figure out that VOTING is the method to change that, gentlemen like the defendant in this case will continue to be prosecuted for stupid 'offenses.'\

Would I have done the same? Absolutely, except I choose NOT to live in New York.

armedandsafe
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/26/03 4:07:20 pm)
    When I finally moved back out of PRK, I chose not to go back to the town I was raised in because the county has gun registration. It surprized me that Nevada, of all states would have such a law.

Armed and Safe - not just a theory

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/27/03 8:42:18 am)
    Reply | Edit Re: What any father would do

Quote:
    I wish more states were like Texas.
    Finally, somebody here is making some sense!
    Macht kaputt, was euch kaputt macht!

daavros
    (1/27/03 9:16:21 am)
    Same kind of thing although this was a burglary happened in the UK to a guy called Tony Martin. He is now serving time for manslaughter.

Quote:
    Tony Martin is well known in the UK for an incident that took place on 20 August 1999 when Martin fired at 16-year-old Fred Barras and an accomplice.

Barras, despite his age, had already amassed 29 convictions and was an experienced burglar. As he and an accomplice rummaged around for something worth stealing they woke Martin, who descended the stairs with an unlicensed pump-action shotgun in his hands. The pair scrambled to get out of the window they had come in. Barras was blasted in the back and died within seconds.

His conviction the following April sparked a national debate on rural crime and the householder's right to defend himself from burglars. Newspaper columnists were up in arms and much of Middle England was outraged that a victim of crime could be jailed for life.

But in October 2001 Martin's conviction was overturned by the Court of Appeal, which felt he was guilty only of manslaughter due to diminished responsibility. He was sentenced to five years in jail.

But Hughie Smith, president of the Gypsy Council, which represents 55,000 travellers in Britain and Ireland, said talk of revenge was "rubbish".

He said: "As far as I'm concerned a man's home - or in our case his caravan - is his castle and I was on Tony Martin's side, as were 98% of the gypsy community.

"If anybody tried to get into my caravan I would probably have done the same thing."

Daav

Politics and Current Affairs

Edited by: daavros at: 1/27/03 9:16:59 am

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/27/03 9:29:52 am)
    Again, different thing. The gentleman in the UK was prosecuted for shooting the thug, the man in the original posting was prosecuted simply for having an unlicensed handgun in New York.

Even if Mr Martin's shotgun had been licensed, he apparently would have still been charged with manslaughter. The unlicensed status of the shotgun appears irrelevant. If the man in New York had been using a licensed handgun, it appears the shooting would have been irrelevant.

The issue with Mr Martin's case is whether the homeowner has a duty to retreat. Some states here in the US require that a homeowner retreat before defending himself. Many other states would look at prosecuting Mr Martin since the bad guy was obviously in the act of fleeing (and therefore no longer a physical threat) when he was shot.

daavros
    (1/27/03 5:41:42 pm)
    You can sympathise for him though. His home had a history of being burgled.

Daav

Politics and Current Affairs

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/27/03 6:10:22 pm)
    Absolutely. I have no problem with dropping a hammer on a burglar.

Fortunately, I live in a state where there is no required licensing AND no duty to retreat.

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/27/03 7:06:59 pm)
    I enjoy reading "The Armed Citizen" in the American Rifleman magazine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.