The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already have my 16" barrel Stag AR that I love. Recently picked up a stripped lower and I want to go with a 20" barrel this time along with a scope since I have an Aimpoint on the Stag.

This won't be some sort of expensive build as I am not rich & I just use my guns to punch paper. Of course, it has to be reliable and I would like this one to be able to cycle steel cased ammo if I desire as my Stag hates steel ammo.

Really no idea what which LPKs are decent and what triggers to consider, etc.

·
Super Moderator
39,886 Posts
I have built six or seven (maybe eight) AR's in the past three years. I have used LPKs from Anderson, Palmetto State, Bear Creek Arsenal, DPMS, and no name from eBay and CDNN, all lower parts kits are pretty much equal since they are 'Mil Spec". I buy the kits with NO trigger group and buy a drop-in.

A drop in trigger is the way to go, in my opinion, I have them from POF, Rise Armament, and something named "Hammerhead" from eBay (stay away from those). Rise Armament is what I have mostly used and have never had trouble with one of them, I cannot say the same about POF or that piece of crap from eBay.

·
Registered
139 Posts
You may find yourself in a bit of a bind when it comes to parts selection right now. I haven't shopped AR parts lately, but if it's anything like reloading components, it could be slim picking.
That said, I would go with a drop in trigger from a known manufacturer. Rise Armament is really good, but so are most of the big names. I've used lower "kits" on a few and haven't had a problem with things not fitting properly. Palmetto and DPMS are hard to beat.
You must have a more positive outlook than I do about our future ability to own gas guns. I'm in the process of selling most of my semi-auto's and 30 round mags, before my government makes me a felon for owning them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited by Moderator)
You may find yourself in a bit of a bind when it comes to parts selection right now. I haven't shopped AR parts lately, but if it's anything like reloading components, it could be slim picking.
That said, I would go with a drop in trigger from a known manufacturer. Rise Armament is really good, but so are most of the big names. I've used lower "kits" on a few and haven't had a problem with things not fitting properly. Palmetto and DPMS are hard to beat.
You must have a more positive outlook than I do about our future ability to own gas guns. I'm in the process of selling most of my semi-auto's and 30 round mags, before my government makes me a felon for owning them.
I'm in no rush to build it. ;) FORUM VIOLATION. BE CAREFUL AND READ OUR RULES. :)
No one is taking our guns.

I have built six or seven (maybe eight) AR's in the past three years. I have used LPKs from Anderson, Palmetto State, Bear Creek Arsenal, DPMS, and no name from eBay and CDNN, all lower parts kits are pretty much equal since they are 'Mil Spec". I buy the kits with NO trigger group and buy a drop-in.

A drop in trigger is the way to go, in my opinion, I have them from POF, Rise Armament, and something named "Hammerhead" from eBay (stay away from those). Rise Armament is what I have mostly used and have never had trouble with one of them, I cannot say the same about POF or that piece of crap from eBay.
Not worth the $ buying the fancy triggers? For example, I saw Palmetto has a Giselle (I believe that's it) for $100+ right now

·
Super Moderator
39,886 Posts
I get emails almost every day from CDNN and every one of them lists parts for ARs.

Not worth the $ buying the fancy triggers? For example, I saw Palmetto has a Giselle (I believe that's it) for $100+ right now
I have one with a two stage Geissele and it's a good one but I just prefer the drop in ones. I do believe that the $100 one is their low end trigger, which is still a good trigger.

·
Super Moderator
39,886 Posts
I got an (one of many) email form Classic Firearms this afternoon, they have a lower set on sale for $49.99, "with SS trigger and hammer". I don't know if that is supposed to be some kind of selling point, but don't do a thing for me!

·
Super Moderator
26,841 Posts
To save me a lot of typing, I am just going to mirror what gd said.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
I got an (one of many) email form Classic Firearms this afternoon, they have a lower set on sale for $49.99, "with SS trigger and hammer". I don't know if that is supposed to be some kind of selling point, but don't do a thing for me!
A 50 dollar lower with a trigger and hammer sounds like junk to me.

·
Premium Member
9,395 Posts
That's going to be an expensive AR and at 2.95 per round very expensive to shoot.
Yes expensive to build but worth it.
BUT sorry (see the web sight) it is .85 cents a round not $2.95 a round. It is between $17 and $19 dollars a box of 20 depending on which round you want.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Consensus on the AR forum is Larue triggers are the best for the money. I think around 80 bucks. I can't imagine an AR that wont eat steel cased. My S&W eats it like candy.
Been a while since I shot any Wolf, but I had some FTE when I ran it through mine

·
Super Moderator
39,886 Posts
I guess I should have said "kit", sorry.

Way back when parts were a lot cheaper (early last year), you could buy Anderson lowers for $29.95, lower parts kits for about the same, and a BCG for $50, I have built complete rifles for about $375.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
I guess I should have said "kit", sorry.

Way back when parts were a lot cheaper (early last year), you could buy Anderson lowers for $29.95, lower parts kits for about the same, and a BCG for $50, I have built complete rifles for about $375.
A complete PSA upper will cost you over 400 now.

·
Super Moderator
39,886 Posts
A complete PSA upper will cost you over 400 now.
Yep, and that sucks. There was a time when Bear Creek Arsenal would sell complete uppers for $189. I have bought a few of them and slapped them on those cheap lowers that I built. That is how I ended up with a baker's dozen of ARs.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Yep, and that sucks. There was a time when Bear Creek Arsenal would sell complete uppers for $189. I have bought a few of them and slapped them on those cheap lowers that I built. That is how I ended up with a baker's dozen of ARs.
So how do you like the Bear Creek uppers? Side charging or rear?

·
Super Moderator
39,886 Posts
I bought standard rear charging and I have never had a problem with them. The last one I bought was a .50 Beowulf, I think it was early last year or late 2019. The quality of their uppers were never a question that entered my mind. I understand that they were raided by ICE or something like that a little while back and their quality went downhill quickly.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts