The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,330 Posts
Hmmmm, not sure I understand what you’re trying to get at. It’s like asking what’s a horse? What’s a dog? What’s a fish? Angels are beings created by God like everything else. Are you really wanting to know what they are or rather why they were created and what’s their purpose? Just a bit to vague a question for me to answer. What do you think angels are?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wonder whether they are one group of immortal residents of Heaven that were never humans or whether humans who die become angels. There seem to be numerous residents of Heaven that were never earthly humans. Cherubims were mentioned in Genesis to keep Adam and Eve from reaching the Tree of Life. The sons of God who mated with human women were mentioned in mentioned in Genesis 6. There seems to be a rather sizable number of groups included in the Heavenly Hosts. Obviously God made them because God made everything, but there seem to be quite a few beings that are mentioned in the Bible but that are not explained very much. Have they been with God from the beginning? Do they have the same power as God or do they just do His bidding? Do they have free will? Do they have specific jobs? Basically, what has been revealed about these Heavenly Hosts.

·
Premium Member
9,330 Posts
Well Col 1:16 (NASB) says speaking of Christ.
“For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities-- all things have been created through Him and for Him.”
So that right there tells me angels are created beings.

In Rev 12:9

“And the great dragon was thrown down, that ancient serpent, who is called the devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world—he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him.”

To me this (and other similar scripture) tells me that angels have free will and 1/3 chose to follow Satan. Now you mentioned the Nephilim to which not much is really said over what you stated. I really can’t say with any authority, heck, people have debated them for centuries. My personal opinion is they are NOT angels. Seems to contradict God’s design in nature. You have to have two dogs to make a dog, two pigs to make a pig and so on. As angels and humans are different types of creatures I can’t see how they can have offspring together. To my knowledge angels don’t even have sexual organs. Having an opinion one way or another isn’t going to keep a person out of heaven and we’ll never be able to prove one belief over another while we’re down here so I’m not too concerned about the subject.

Lets see what else? I don’t see a whole bunch of different creatures in Heaven, only God (Father, Son, Holy Spirit), humans and angels. I think there are different types of angels but that’s all I’m seeing. Maybe you’ve found something I’ve missed.

·
Registered
252 Posts
They about scare you out of your skin when you see one. Ask me how I know? I read it in the Bible. I can remember at one time about 30? years ago or so, I was given to realize that it was time to start living better and settle down. The angels were getting tired of watching over me and keeping me alive as I continued to do stupid stuff. That did cause me to settle down and get more serious about how I was living. I was still decades away from answering His call. Who knows for sure other than someone who has come in the presence of one? When that tire blew up and off of the tire machine and hit my chest and then my adams apple but missed my chin on its way to the ceiling and there just happened to be an EMT instructor just outside the garage waiting on his wife to come out of the rest room, who came over and checked me out - oh, he grew up in a repair shop and was there when a tire blew off the rim and took the head off or severely damaged it, killing the man. After that incident, I wondered if he was an angel or at the least if God's Hand kept me alive that day by His Divine intervention.

But that comes nowhere near answering your question. Just kidding now, but just leave it to a teacher to ask such a question, knowing that usually what he will hear are answers all about angels, not what they are. :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,504 Posts
As I understand it, the term angel can also be messenger, as when Gabriel visited Mary.
Angels can also protect us when sent by God. A false myth is that humans can become angels. That falsehood is not found in the Bible.

Black Eagle has a good bit of information on angels in today’s daily devotional.

·
Super Moderator
25,717 Posts
As I understand it, the term angel can also be messenger, as when Gabriel visited Mary.
Angels can also protect us when sent by God. A false myth is that humans can become angels. That falsehood is not found in the Bible.

Black Eagle has a good bit of information on angels in today’s daily devotional.
Yes he did. Maybe more should read his posts. He puts a lot into them.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
What are angels? I guess my best answer is that they are servants of the Lord - who serve with the Lord in Heaven. It seems that from time to time the Lord tasks angels to directly work on earth with humans. Man and woman can be servants of the Lord and yet not be angels. All things are created by God, and so angels are created by God also.

·
TFF Chaplain
18,872 Posts
Good questions, Krong of Belsnarf. Thanks for asking.

I think Firpo has done a good job answering your questions.
Angels are one of those topics that fascinate people because God doesn't give a complete discussion of them in the Bible. People have spent endless hours speculating on them when they should have been focused on other things. The clerics in Constantinople were busy arguing about important things like how many angels could dance on the head of a pin while the muslims were attacking the city.

But on the other hand it's important to have some kind of handle on what angels are and what they do. Many books have been written about angels, some good and some not so good. I'd suggest Billy Graham's book as a good resource.

I wonder whether they are one group of immortal residents of Heaven that were never humans or whether humans who die become angels. There seem to be numerous residents of Heaven that were never earthly humans. Cherubims were mentioned in Genesis to keep Adam and Eve from reaching the Tree of Life.
Angels have been individually created. Unlike humans, there are no mother and father angels that have baby angels. From the description in Revelation, people who die as Christians go to heaven but do not become angels. As you suggest, angels are eternal beings.

There are ranks of angels. Archangels seem to be the most high-ranking, powerful of the angels. Michael is one of them; satan is another. They have free will; satan led a rebellion at some point against God and he and his co-rebels were
thrown out of heaven. At this point I cannot lay my hands on the Scripture that describes that.

On the other hand, God does control them. He sends His angels on missions, gives them tasks to do, and they do those things. Even satan is unable to disobey God's command. God drew the line in Job 1-2 and satan was unable to cross that line.

Now, that could get into all kinds of knotty problems about why God created satan and why God lets satan run around on this earth to do so much evil and create so much pain. I guess the quick and dirty answer to that is that God created man with free will and man has the choice of obeying God or satan. But that answer is very simple, and there is a whole lot more to that question and answer than I can give here.

The sons of God who mated with human women were mentioned in mentioned in Genesis 6.
The quote you are referring to is Genesis 6: Now it came about, when men began to multiply on the face of the land, and daughters were born to them, 2 that the sons of God saw that the daughters of men were beautiful; and they took wives for themselves, whomever they chose.

I've heard seminary professors discuss that, but that was 40 years ago. If I recall correctly, they (and they had scripture to back them on this but I again can't put my hands on it just now ) said "the sons of God" were not angels, but what we would call Christians today, Godly men who married beautiful worldly women. That's a summary as best as I recall.

4 The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men, and they bore children to them. Those were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown.

Far as I can tell, the Nephilim were a different group of people. The Hebrew hints that these were giants, and some of that genetic material may have persisted beyond the flood through Noah's family and surfaced in Goliath and his kin.

There seems to be a rather sizable number of groups included in the Heavenly Hosts. Obviously God made them because God made everything, but there seem to be quite a few beings that are mentioned in the Bible but that are not explained very much.
I'm so glad you noticed that God doesn't fully explain everything that's mentioned in the Bible.

Off the top of my head I can think of two possible reasons for that. First, there is the mystery...something God knows that we cannot know because we are incapable of comprehending it. God says in Isaiah 55:8 “For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways,” declares the Lord. 9 “For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways And My thoughts than your thoughts.

Second, He wants us to take His word for some things. He wants us to trust Him. Sometimes we are like little kids who keep asking why this, why that, what about something else, and dad finally says "BECAUSE...ALRIGHT? JUST BECAUSE. THAT'S THE WAY IT IS, SO JUST LIVE WITH IT!!" Dad knows that sometime later in life we will be mature enough to comprehend the answer but that time is not now. We will get our answers in full when we get to heaven.

Again, there are probably many more reasons why God doesn't spell everything out completely for us.

Have they been with God from the beginning? Do they have the same power as God or do they just do His bidding? Do they have free will? Do they have specific jobs? Basically, what has been revealed about these Heavenly Hosts.
They were created by God, and so have been with Him ever since He created them. They do not have the same power as God. They are subordinate to God. God gives them assignments and they carry out those jobs. There was an interesting interaction between God and His angels recorded in 1 Kings 22: 19 Micaiah said, “Therefore, hear the word of the Lord. I saw the Lord sitting on His throne, and all the host of heaven standing by Him on His right and on His left. 20 The Lord said, ‘Who will entice Ahab to go up and fall at Ramoth-gilead?’ And one said this while another said that. 21 Then a spirit came forward and stood before the Lord and said, ‘I will entice him.’ 22 The Lord said to him, ‘How?’ And he said, ‘I will go out and be a deceiving spirit in the mouth of all his prophets.’ Then He said, ‘You are to entice him and also prevail. Go and do so.’

Notice the same kind of scene in Job 1:6 Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan also came among them. 7 The Lord said to Satan, “From where do you come?” Then Satan answered the Lord and said, “From roaming about on the earth and walking around on it.” 8 The Lord said to Satan, “Have you considered My servant Job? For there is no one like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, fearing God and turning away from evil.” 9 Then Satan answered the Lord, “Does Job fear God for nothing?

It seems that God has regular get-to-gethers with His angels. Gabriel seems to be the main messenger. He came to Daniel, and to Mary and to John the Baptist's father.

When Jesus had Pilate on trial just before He was crucified, He said in Matthew 26:53 Or do you think that I cannot appeal to My Father, and He will at once put at My disposal more than twelve legions of angels?

That last question...Basically, what has been revealed about these Heavenly Hosts. That's a big question. God says a lot in the Bible that we haven't even touched on and don't have time or space to discuss here. Jacob saw that stairway to heaven with angels going up and down; God set the angels to guard the way to the Garden of Eden to keep Adam and Eve out; Abraham talked with the angels before they destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah; and there are tons of other mentions of them in the Bible. Again, I'd suggest you get hold of Billy Graham's book Angels. I haven't read it myself but I trust the author.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
I wonder whether they are one group of immortal residents of Heaven that were never humans or whether humans who die become angels. There seem to be numerous residents of Heaven that were never earthly humans. Cherubims were mentioned in Genesis to keep Adam and Eve from reaching the Tree of Life. The sons of God who mated with human women were mentioned in mentioned in Genesis 6. There seems to be a rather sizable number of groups included in the Heavenly Hosts. Obviously God made them because God made everything, but there seem to be quite a few beings that are mentioned in the Bible but that are not explained very much. Have they been with God from the beginning? Do they have the same power as God or do they just do His bidding? Do they have free will? Do they have specific jobs? Basically, what has been revealed about these Heavenly Hosts.
I sat back and watched how this discussion would develop. Most of the issues have been addressed already. I just want to add to what BlackEagle already on the "son's of God" in Genesis 6.

Hebrews 1:2 hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds; 3 who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high; 4 being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they. 5 For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son? 6 And again, when he bringeth in the firstbegotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him. 7 And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire. 8 But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.

Those that claim fallen angels came down and mated to the daughters of men is false. God did not call them His son. There is apparently only one creature made in the image of God. That is man. Yet many interpret the phrase, "sons of God," as referring to angels in a few places such as in Job:

Job 1:6 Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan came also among them. 7 And the Lord said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the Lord, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.

Is it possible that these are men who have passed on and were in Abraham's Bosom and were presenting themselves to God? If there was an objection of these men as tainted with sins, well so was Satan, and even more so. But those in God's kingdom are called the son's of God in several places in the Bible.

Luke 3:38 which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.

This is echoed a second time in I Corinthians 11:

I Corinthians 11:3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God. . . 7 For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man. 8 For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man.

This is analogous to saying, the sons of God.

So what are they talking about in Genesis 6 when it talks about the sons of God and the daughters of men? Simply as they are in the two passages above. Men are made in the image of God and women are made in the image of men. That is conveyed in the passage in Genesis, the sons of God and the daughters of men.

There is no evidence that angels can mate with mankind. In fact, there is a reference in the gospels that speak against this.

Luke 20: 34 And Jesus answering said unto them, The children of this world marry, and are given in marriage: 35 but they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage: 36 neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection.

Here, the Bible calls men and women, the children of God.

So what is stated in Genesis 6 is that men, created in God's image, married women, created in the image of man, but both are the children of God.

So what are angels? Hebrews answers this as well:

Hebrews 1:13 But to which of the angels said he at any time, Sit on my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool? 14 Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Lastly, adding to the last set of verses above from Hebrews, angels are spirits. We will have a spiritual body in heaven.

I Corinthians 15:There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body. 45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit. 46 Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.

Angels are spirits. We will have a spiritual body and not given in marriage as the angels in Heaven. I think folks that state the son's of God are fallen angels are out on a limb without a whole lot of support.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Psalms 103:20,21

Bless the Lord, he his angels, that excel in strength, that do his commandments, hearkening unto the voice of his word.
Bless the Lord, all ye his hosts, he ministers of him that do his pleasure.

Psalms 104:4
Who makes his angels spirits, his ministers a flame of fire. (ministers=assistants to the throne)

Like, 1:19
I am Gabriel, that stand in the presence of God; and am sent to speak unto thee, and to send thee these glad tidings

Daniel 9:21
And While I was speaking in prayer, even the man Gabriel...informed me and talked with me.

Daniel10:13
...but, Lo,Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
What is man that thou art mindful of him, or the son of Man that thou visitest him. Thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and crowned him with glory and honor.

Psalm 8:4&5.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
There is a book titled Lifted By Angels The Presence and Power of Our Heavenly Guides and Guardians by Joel J Miller. It is a very insightful and well written and documented case for Angels from day 1 to now.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Beware!
There are holy Angels and very dangerous Angels(Demons---fallen Angels!)
Satan was a Cherub before the Fall, if I recollect correctly. I don't keep up on this stuff other than to thank my Guardian Angel
There are 7 cohorts of Angels, plus Thrones, Nations, and Dominions.

I saw a Demon once, in a hospital where I was ministering to the dying.
I'll leave it at that.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts