The Firearms Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Could the difference be that while God is eternal, He gives us eternal life.
We tend to look at this from a human perspective. We may overthink what we are being told unless and until we can see spiritually.

Only God is eternal. We have not been eternal and are not eternal nor will we become eternal. Wouldn't that be using the word as a noun in God's case. We are not eternal, but we are given life in Christ that will continue eternally. We are given eternal life, which is using the word as an adjective.

This discussion leads me to the next aspect of eternal life. What are the conditions to receiving eternal life. In John 3:16 we read that we must believe. How many read that and assume they believe and will receive eternal life while not fully understanding the depth of the word, believe.

For instance, Jesus requires us to give up our life if we are to receive new life in Christ; even eternal life. Have you ever given up your life and put following Christ ahead of your love of family, career, wealth, hunting, fishing, recreation, retirement and whatever plans you have made for the future? I personally don't think that is possible unless the Father first draws you to his Son, you come to a conviction of your sinful ways with a heart felt desire to turn away and change and seek the righteousness you see in Jesus. Then, after the cleansing of repentance the Father places you in Christ Jesus and now being filled with His Spirit, you are believing in Christ Jesus and receive new desires to please the Father along with a healthy fear of disobeying what you now know in your heart to be right.

This, I see as the beginning of Eternal life in Christ as Jesus as including why He came which in part was to undue the works of Satan in all of us. Being in Christ is eternal life, new life, a blessed life whereby the light of Christ exposes more within us to repent of and now trusting with faith in Christ, the holy Spirit helps us to be pruned and changed and begin to produce good fruit - or the characteristics of Jesus and so much more.

If I got anything theologically wrong, please correct me.

Reactions: Firpo and One Shot

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
Could the difference be that while God is eternal, He gives us eternal life.
We tend to look at this from a human perspective. We may overthink what we are being told unless and until we can see spiritually.

Only God is eternal. We have not been eternal and are not eternal nor will we become eternal. Wouldn't that be using the word as a noun in God's case. We are not eternal, but we are given life in Christ that will continue eternally. We are given eternal life, which is using the word as an adjective.

This discussion leads me to the next aspect of eternal life. What are the conditions to receiving eternal life. In John 3:16 we read that we must believe. How many read that and assume they believe and will receive eternal life while not fully understanding the depth of the word, believe.

For instance, Jesus requires us to give up our life if we are to receive new life in Christ; even eternal life. Have you ever given up your life and put following Christ ahead of your love of family, career, wealth, hunting, fishing, recreation, retirement and whatever plans you have made for the future? I personally don't think that is possible unless the Father first draws you to his Son, you come to a conviction of your sinful ways with a heart felt desire to turn away and change and seek the righteousness you see in Jesus. Then, after the cleansing of repentance the Father places you in Christ Jesus and now being filled with His Spirit, you are believing in Christ Jesus and receive new desires to please the Father along with a healthy fear of disobeying what you now know in your heart to be right.

This, I see as the beginning of Eternal life in Christ as Jesus as including why He came which in part was to undue the works of Satan in all of us. Being in Christ is eternal life, new life, a blessed life whereby the light of Christ exposes more within us to repent of and now trusting with faith in Christ, the holy Spirit helps us to be pruned and changed and begin to produce good fruit - or the characteristics of Jesus and so much more.

If I got anything theologically wrong, please correct me.
Yes, I agree with most, but the Bible makes it clear that the soul is eternal and shall live somewhere forever. Jesus has given us eternal life, but those who do not accept Jesus shall have their eternal soul suffer in hell fires for all eternity. We are made in God's image and He is eternal. Some churches teach a concept of soul sleep and going into nothingness, but that is not what the Bible teaches.

God has placed those that accept Him in Heavenly places already:

Ephesians 2:2 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins; 2 wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience: 3 among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others. 4 But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, 5 even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;) 6 and hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:

Philippians 3: 17 Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample. 18 (For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ: 19 whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.) 20 For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ: 21 who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.

But in Jesus, we have always been with Jesus even from the foundation of the world, and those destined for Hell were not written from the foundation of the earth. The Lord KNEW us before He made the world. Since God cannot learn anything, and has always known everything, paradoxically, we have always been with God without beginning or end.

Ephesians 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ: 4 according as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: 5 having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,

Revelation 13: 8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

Revelation 17:7 And the angel said unto me, Wherefore didst thou marvel? I will tell thee the mystery of the woman, and of the beast that carrieth her, which hath the seven heads and ten horns. 8 The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.

So, while we are created beings with a beginning in a world with a beginning, we have been with God always. We are the adopted children of the one eternal God who has given us eternal life and immortality.

·
Registered
41 Posts
One of my spiritual giftings is the discernment of spirits.
As a consequence of this I have been sensitive to the prescence of Angels and Demons all my life.
I can't see them as such, but can sometimes sense them and understand their intentions.

I have sensed angels guarding people, present in meetings to heal, instruct , and console, following children riding zip lines to prevent accidents, standing behind a young man who was using a chainsaw ready to pull him away in the event the tree fell the wrong way.
I have also sensed a little of their natures. Tough and terrifying under the right circumstances. To have to fight one of these things would be a terrible thing indeed; they aren't the little babies with toy bows seen in pictures.

They show up sometimes in large numbers in unlikely places for reasons that I can't guess at. I have seen them in a long line across a field, also in a line on the street behind my house, another time clustered in trees.

A lady I talked to mentioned the remarkable size of one she saw in church. 20 feet high or more, at a guess.

Suffice it to say, the average street is more crowded than you might imagine, if you take into account all the unseen prescences as well as the seen ones.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I REALLY wish you hadn't asked this question on a firearms-related website, since this is a question best pondered and bandied about in a bible study or a Seminary, but here goes:

ANGEL: Noun. A benefactor, acting in the interest of a beneficiary to whom they owe nothing, either at the behest of a superior (being), or for purely altruistic motivations, without the knowledge of the beneficiary (IDEALLY), and whose actions may attributed to providence or random factors. Often corporeal, but not always. May be of divine origin, or a mortal who is divinely inspired.

Okay, there's the "Kosh/Vorlon" definition of "Angel". Pick it apart as you see fit. If I have the steam to defend my definition, I'll answer back. If not, then I'm prolly off somewhere trying to make myself into a better person, or whatever...

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
I REALLY wish you hadn't asked this question on a firearms-related website, since this is a question best pondered and bandied about in a bible study or a Seminary, but here goes:

ANGEL: Noun. A benefactor, acting in the interest of a beneficiary to whom they owe nothing, either at the behest of a superior (being), or for purely altruistic motivations, without the knowledge of the beneficiary (IDEALLY), and whose actions may attributed to providence or random factors. Often corporeal, but not always. May be of divine origin, or a mortal who is divinely inspired.

Okay, there's the "Kosh/Vorlon" definition of "Angel". Pick it apart as you see fit. If I have the steam to defend my definition, I'll answer back. If not, then I'm prolly off somewhere trying to make myself into a better person, or whatever...
Huh??

What is wrong with asking a legitimate question since TFF readily and frankly, eagerly encourages polite and open discussion on religion, politics and everything in between.

In addition, the Bible was written to make the simple wise.

Lastly, I’m not convinced that many in those seminaries trust or believe the Bible at all. I suspect there are many more true Bible believers right here at TFF.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Can't argue with your logic, but I don't go to a firearms website to discuss theology any more than I go to bible-study to discuss reloading data and gunsmithing techniques. Forgive me, it's one of many personal flaws among others that I'll prolly end up having to explain to someone at the pearly gates.
Anyhoo, how'd I do for a definition of Angels?

·
TFF Chaplain
18,853 Posts
This is the Religious Discussions section of The Firearms Forum. This section was established long before I came on board, but has been a reason for many people to stick around. Others who don't feel the need or desire to discuss spiritual things don't bother coming here, just as I don't bother going places I am not interested in.

This section of the forum is here because members of the forum want this discussion. They are among friends here and can "let their hair down" about subjects they would steer clear of in other forums. They know they will get honest answers to honest questions, and we can have good discussions here, and get answers and support for life situations from the Bible. Many members come here to ask for prayer about some situation or other that they are facing. I've asked for prayer and members of the forum have prayed for me, just as we have prayed for each other.

Pick it apart as you see fit.
That's part of the ethos of this place. I don't try to pick people or their ideas apart. I like the last words of 1 Corinthians 12:...And I show you a still more excellent way.

I don't have the energy, desire, time, or brainpower to argue with people. If I disagree with them, I'll present what I see God saying, clarify if necessary, and answer further honest questions.

As for your definition of angels? I'll not attack it. We have already talked about what the Bible says angels are, and that is the most reliable source of information God has given us about His messengers.

You are welcome to stick around and ask more honest questions. Just as in the reloading section and other areas, people here are more than willing to help answer.

Lastly, I’m not convinced that many in those seminaries trust or believe the Bible at all. I suspect there are many more true Bible believers right here at TFF.
I know of a couple of reliable seminaries; but seminaries for mainstream denominations are becoming less and less reliable. Dad saw this happening back in the 1950's and that progress away from teaching students to rightly divide the Word of Truth has snowballed in recent years.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Maybe this will help---

PS 103:21

Bless the LORD, all you angels,
you ministers, who do his will.

MT 18:1-5, 10
The disciples approached Jesus and said,
“Who is the greatest in the Kingdom of heaven?”
He called a child over, placed it in their midst, and said,
“Amen, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children,
you will not enter the Kingdom of heaven.
Whoever humbles himself like this child
is the greatest in the Kingdom of heaven.
And whoever receives one child such as this in my name receives me.

“See that you do not despise one of these little ones,
for I say to you that their angels in heaven
always look upon the face of my heavenly Father
.”

·
Premium Member
9,309 Posts
I don't go to a firearms website to discuss theology any more than I go to bible-study to discuss reloading data and gunsmithing techniques
I suppose this would be valid if this was simply a firearms website however it is that and so much more, we are a community of family and friends. I can’t imagine only discussing guns with my friends and neighbors here in Lawton so why should it be any different online? We also have Fire For Effect, Pump House, Ruffits and a knife forum which aren’t gun related however many of our members enjoy those as well. I personally don’t enjoy the political portion and tend to avoid it which is a wonderful thing about TFF. If you don’t like something it’s easily avoided, no need to criticize, just don’t enter that particular forum. Easy Peezy

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
Can't argue with your logic, but I don't go to a firearms website to discuss theology any more than I go to bible-study to discuss reloading data and gunsmithing techniques. Forgive me, it's one of many personal flaws among others that I'll prolly end up having to explain to someone at the pearly gates.
Anyhoo, how'd I do for a definition of Angels?
TFF is a collection of different forums all on one website. As others have stated, if the topic is not of interest to you, just ignore it.

As far as the definition, that is a pretty common secular view but most of the discussion on this thread centered on what the Bible states.

The biblical view is that angels are a created spiritual being and people do not become angels. Nor can angels who have sinned have redemption as men have through Christ.

Not sure if this passage Has been mentioned yet, but one of the purposes for angels is being ministering spirits for the people who are saved.

Hebrews 1:13 But to which of the angels said he at any time, Sit on my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool? 14 Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?

·
Registered
282 Posts
I didn't mean to sound like I was complaining. Really, I think it's perfectly fine to discuss all kinds of things in a Firearms forum and I'll be the FIRST to challenge any who try to forbid or discourage it. If my whine conveyed the feeling that I frown on the discussion, then I apologize to all, unreservedly.

Indeed, I can WISH all manner of things but, strangely, the world never seems overly concerned with complying (perhaps when I'm finally elected "President of the World"). The trite aphorism "You may WISH in one hand and 'SPIT' (let's say...) in the other to see which of them fills first" applies as much to ME as anyone else on this Forum. THIS is a thing of which I'm rather "UN-gently" reminded, once or more, each day.

When I said I wish you hadn't asked it here, it's because the question caught and diverted my attention from other tasks (cool questions DO that, a lot). My almost 60-year old eyes focused on it, and my similarly-aged, somewhat O.C.D. brain said that I must stop whatever else I'm doing (some very important brass cleaning, in the interests of national security), ponder the question and formulate a workable answer. A P.I.T.A, is my brain, sometimes. As is demonstrated by this clarification, it doesn't always "make the grade" with respect to that "proper articulation" thing.

·
Registered
282 Posts
TFF is a collection of different forums all on one website. As others have stated, if the topic is not of interest to you, just ignore it.
And USUALLY, I succeed admirably at it. But THIS question just "caught me when not looking" (so to speak), and I had to formulate (or maybe FORUMulate?) a decent ATTEMPT at a definition.
Of all the persons who use this website, I'm probably the one who has the GREATEST amount of work to do in the "faith" department, as my feeble knowledge of scripture would demonstrate. If my definition seems uninformed as well as secular, that's the reason, and I can accept your assessment without perturbation.
Cheers!

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
And USUALLY, I succeed admirably at it. But THIS question just "caught me when not looking" (so to speak), and I had to formulate (or maybe FORUMulate?) a decent ATTEMPT at a definition.
Of all the persons who use this website, I'm probably the one who has the GREATEST amount of work to do in the "faith" department, as my feeble knowledge of scripture would demonstrate. If my definition seems uninformed as well as secular, that's the reason, and I can accept your assessment without perturbation.
Cheers!
Stick around and ask more questions. The world view and Bible view on many issues are quite different.

But the Bible view is the only one that leads you to eternal life.

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
I didn't mean to sound like I was complaining. Really, I think it's perfectly fine to discuss all kinds of things in a Firearms forum and I'll be the FIRST to challenge any who try to forbid or discourage it. If my whine conveyed the feeling that I frown on the discussion, then I apologize to all, unreservedly.

Indeed, I can WISH all manner of things but, strangely, the world never seems overly concerned with complying (perhaps when I'm finally elected "President of the World"). The trite aphorism "You may WISH in one hand and 'SPIT' (let's say...) in the other to see which of them fills first" applies as much to ME as anyone else on this Forum. THIS is a thing of which I'm rather "UN-gently" reminded, once or more, each day.

When I said I wish you hadn't asked it here, it's because the question caught and diverted my attention from other tasks (cool questions DO that, a lot). My almost 60-year old eyes focused on it, and my similarly-aged, somewhat O.C.D. brain said that I must stop whatever else I'm doing (some very important brass cleaning, in the interests of national security), ponder the question and formulate a workable answer. A P.I.T.A, is my brain, sometimes. As is demonstrated by this clarification, it doesn't always "make the grade" with respect to that "proper articulation" thing.
No problem. I have whined far too many times myself on TFF with my 60 something brain as well.

As I said above, stick around and ask all the questions you wish. I don't believe in coincidences. The Good Lord has a way of reaching down and grabbing a person's attention. We are living in strange times and I would also call them Bible times since they were described in the Bible thousands of years ago. God wishes for all to come to repentance.

II Peter 3:8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. 9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

All I can add to this is that time is short.

·
TFF Chaplain
18,853 Posts
When I said I wish you hadn't asked it here, it's because the question caught and diverted my attention from other tasks (cool questions DO that, a lot). My almost 60-year old eyes focused on it, and my similarly-aged, somewhat O.C.D. brain said that I must stop whatever else I'm doing
Funny thing. God sometimes sticks things in our way to trip us up and get our attention. That's what He did with Moses. He used a burning bush to get 80-year-old Moses' attention so He could tell Moses something. Check it out in Exodus 3.

I'm probably the one who has the GREATEST amount of work to do in the "faith" department,
You're in good company. We all have a lot to work on. Paul considered himself one of the least of the saints in 1 Corinthians 15:9 For I am the least of the apostles, and not fit to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.

We're happy to keep answering honest questions, so read and ask away.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Having a lot of work to do in the faith department, I'm a fan of Proverbs 11:29.
My favorite, and the one I strive to live by, daily, (and each day fail miserably at it), is Matthew 25:40.
Ecclesiastes 1:18 will likely be my epitaph.
Good night, Gents, and cheers!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've sat here for the better part of an hour trying to add to this thread. It's not easy to talk about religion. It's because I totally and completely BELIEVE in the Holy Trinity, the Angels and Saints. I believe that Babies up to whatever age they grow-up can see Angels and talk with them. I Believe that we see Angels everyday and we don't see them because the World gets in the way.

I look back over my life and can say without hesitation that I have been Blessed and Watched over by the Almighty and His Angels. Everything I've ever done has the Hand of God in my life. Every major decision I have made has had a reason. I'm a transplant from PA to Georgia, 10 years ago, and after a few years we realized that my wife and I are here to help our youngest daughter, her husband (both have unexpected health issues) and our granddaughter.

I could offer a lot more examples but this is not the place to do that. It's sufficient to say "I Believe." Good night all.

·
TFF Chaplain
18,853 Posts
I'm a transplant from PA to Georgia, 10 years ago, and after a few years we realized that my wife and I are here to help our youngest daughter, her husband (both have unexpected health issues) and our granddaughter.
I'm sure God directs our thinking and decision making. Proverbs 16:9 The mind of man plans his way, But the Lord directs his steps.

And He does watch over us.

Reactions: howlnmad

·
Registered
174 Posts
In conjunction with angels, there are those who think that Satan is Equal to God, or Jesus, or the Holy Spirit and has powers equal. I once saw a graphic of Satan and Jesus arm wrestling for souls. First of all, Satan was created an angel by God as were all angels. Secondly, Satan has no powers beyond those which God gives him. Thirdly, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are one so Satan is not ever equal to any version of God. Our Lord has allowed Satan to continue to exist until that final day at which time he will be cast into hell for eternity.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts