The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,393 Posts
I found parts from a transmitter from one of those old weather balloons and a nice Case knife in a crappy sheath.

Almost forgot, I found a pocket knife that Sara got for Christmas in 2007 and then she lost it in the woods. I still don’t know who Sara is...

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
Found a piece of a B-25 that crashed into a mountain in the fog years ago. Not too far from it, a rusted up GI issue Bowie knife, still have both. Found a complete locomotive and tender car on a short section of track, out in the middle of nowhere N. Calif in the woods. Logging train from the early 1900's.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I found a field of Armadillo's ... looked like bowling balls ... all moving slowly across the field in the same direction ... must have been 10 or 12 .. a herd , migrating ... we stood there and watched ... It was like the Twilight Zone !
The weirdest experience I've ever had ... except for stumbling upon the Mamma Skunk and her 6 Baby Skunks on the front lawn at midnight ... that experience was sorta interesting .
Gary

·
GUNZILLA
8,081 Posts
A 336 marlin 30-30, with some thumb tacks as decoration on the stock. A few months later we got together with a group of guys at a ranch on a hog hunt that I did not know and one of the guys started to talk down to his younger brother because he had lost his rifle. I asked him to describe it and he replied marlin 30-30 with thumb tacks on the stock. He got it back after the hunt and I got invited every year to the ranch for hog hunts until he sold the ranch and I joined the Army.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
A really nice Old School drop point front edge (to protect the handle) Sand Cast Axe head, out in the middle of nowhere, in the Catskills. My Son found it in the leaves and brought it to me.

I cleaned it up on a double sided bench grinder with a brass wire wheel on it. Lubed it up. Very nice. One of my favorite axes to use. 😁

Wish it could talk. 🤔

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
7,516 Posts
My one and only hunting expedition, for elk, turned up no elk. But one day while out there in the woods, I heard a gunshot, about one ridge away. On the way out, after another fruitless day of hunting, just over that ridge along the side of the road, I found four elk feet. That was a little weird. And 50' down the road I was passed by about 6 young deer who had absolutely no fear of me or my truck. Their rifle season was long over, and somehow they knew I carried no bow. Maybe I should change that...

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
7,516 Posts
Some elk will just go way out of their way so as not to be tracked.:)
Very clever of them, but rather painful. I think booties would have been a better option.

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
Once I stumbled on a Remington jacket in the blue Mountains, a deer hunter must have lost it a week earlier because the battery in the 2-way radio was dead. it's the warmest jacket I own. :whistle:
The least you could of done was put a new battery in it, so you could call thank him for the coat.:giggle:

·
Registered
379 Posts
I found a thermos I'd lost the previous years elk season. I'd gotten off my horse and set in the end of this hollowed log to watch for elk to cruise by. I enjoyed a nice cup of hot coffee and then tucked the thermos in the hollow spot behind me. I looked all year for that thermos and couldn't for the life of me figure out what I'd done with it. The next elk season I pulled up to my hollowed out log again and son of a gun, there was my thermos!

Coffee was still hot, too!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts