What are the odds. . . . .

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by Hardballer, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Hardballer

Hardballer New Member

What are the odds that the swine flu virus, human flu virus and bird flu virus all got together in Mexico and decided to have a party! I'm not really up on my genetic manipulation of viruses but I just would like to know how likely that would be.

Any biologists out there?

Thanks.

P.S. Mexico just closed it's doors but for essential services for the next five days. Not a global pandemic yet. The CDC has raised the alert to one notch below Global Pandemic. This is getting worrisome.

P.S.S. Calderon says 6-7 percent death rate. world wide, that would be; 420,000,000. About 20,000,000 in this country.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  2. 4EvrLearning

4EvrLearning New Member

I found this information for the different phases on the WHO website ( http://www.who.int/csr/disease/avian_influenza/phase/en/index.html )

In nature, influenza viruses circulate continuously among animals, especially birds. Even though such viruses might theoretically develop into pandemic viruses, in Phase 1 no viruses circulating among animals have been reported to cause infections in humans.

In Phase 2 an animal influenza virus circulating among domesticated or wild animals is known to have caused infection in humans, and is therefore considered a potential pandemic threat.

In Phase 3, an animal or human-animal influenza reassortant virus has caused sporadic cases or small clusters of disease in people, but has not resulted in human-to-human transmission sufficient to sustain community-level outbreaks. Limited human-to-human transmission may occur under some circumstances, for example, when there is close contact between an infected person and an unprotected caregiver. However, limited transmission under such restricted circumstances does not indicate that the virus has gained the level of transmissibility among humans necessary to cause a pandemic.

Phase 4 is characterized by verified human-to-human transmission of an animal or human-animal influenza reassortant virus able to cause “community-level outbreaks.” The ability to cause sustained disease outbreaks in a community marks a significant upwards shift in the risk for a pandemic. Any country that suspects or has verified such an event should urgently consult with WHO so that the situation can be jointly assessed and a decision made by the affected country if implementation of a rapid pandemic containment operation is warranted. Phase 4 indicates a significant increase in risk of a pandemic but does not necessarily mean that a pandemic is a forgone conclusion.

Phase 5 is characterized by human-to-human spread of the virus into at least two countries in one WHO region. While most countries will not be affected at this stage, the declaration of Phase 5 is a strong signal that a pandemic is imminent and that the time to finalize the organization, communication, and implementation of the planned mitigation measures is short.

Phase 6, the pandemic phase, is characterized by community level outbreaks in at least one other country in a different WHO region in addition to the criteria defined in Phase 5. Designation of this phase will indicate that a global pandemic is under way.

During the post-peak period, pandemic disease levels in most countries with adequate surveillance will have dropped below peak observed levels. The post-peak period signifies that pandemic activity appears to be decreasing; however, it is uncertain if additional waves will occur and countries will need to be prepared for a second wave.

Previous pandemics have been characterized by waves of activity spread over months. Once the level of disease activity drops, a critical communications task will be to balance this information with the possibility of another wave. Pandemic waves can be separated by months and an immediate “at-ease” signal may be premature.

In the post-pandemic period, influenza disease activity will have returned to levels normally seen for seasonal influenza. It is expected that the pandemic virus will behave as a seasonal influenza A virus. At this stage, it is important to maintain surveillance and update pandemic preparedness and response plans accordingly. An intensive phase of recovery and evaluation may be required.

3. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

WHO (World Health Organization) has us at level 4. A real pandemic would probably give the false messiah the authorization to declare Marshall Law. That would undoubtedly make him King of the U.S. for life!

4. 45nut

45nut Well-Known Member

Not for life, just for the rest of his.

5. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

That's what I meant, the rest of his life!

6. 45nut

45nut Well-Known Member

Well Didn't Rahm E say "Never waste a good crisis"? Sounds like they're fanning the flames of the swine flu just like everything else to get the sheeple to panic and accept martial law. Who still thinks we will have elections in 2012??

7. DigitalRX

DigitalRX New Member

Swine flu is the only one on there that we even have to blink at. Human flu virus, people have been dealing with forever. Bird flu, is as deadly as a bad cold. I'm sensing Swine Flu will follow the same path, and end up not being very deadly, and the numbers they're getting are probably from already sickly people who contracted it. Those people that come in Illegally aren't in the best of shape after so long in the desert without proper hydration.

I do believe Comrade Barry is pushing the scare tactic agenda to make people more willing to bow to him. Sorry, though, Comrade Barry. The only way I will ever salute you is with my middle finger.

8. WomenofCaliber

WomenofCaliber New Member

I just went to the WHO website http://www.who.org the swine flu has moved up to a level 5 as of yesterday.

9. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

2012? I"m betting we won't have elections in 2010!

Not only the trip across the desert, but also add in the filthy conditions that exist in parts of Mexico.

And as for bowing to Barry, I'd give him both fingers:p Or maybe show him one finger as I grab a specific part of my anatomy:eek::p

10. XShooter

XShooter New Member

Anyone have a breakdown of reported cases by state?

11. ckill1

ckill1 New Member

People-

As of this afternoon, WHO has CONFIRMED only 257 cases world-wide. 257. More people died here in the US this morning taking a crap. Seriously. This is nothing more than the media creating, or adding to, panic. A new flu virus pops up every 6 weeks or so, most coming to nothing big. Swine flu is just another strain of influenza A, which has been around for awhile. Nothing to worry about. Relax. More worrisome is what our illustrious leaders will make of the panic the media is causing...THATS what we ought to be worrying about.

Chris

12. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    It's really getting out of hand. If we didn't have all news all the time, we'd never know about it. The media takes the ball and runs with it. It's like those teasers they always have on at 6:30, "What you have for dinner could kill you...News at 11:00." Sure, it pays to be wary, but come on, it's not anything to loose sleep over. Not yet. TJ

13. tireman7.62x54r

tireman7.62x54r Member

A guy on the radio said that every year between 20,000 to 30,000 people die from the flu in the United States. So whats the big deal about this flu?

14. Redhand

Redhand Active Member

The mess media love to wallow in their pigstye and feed at the trough of human frailty. The wanna-be has found him some demons and he wants to cast them into the pig's and let them run off a cliff. Seems to me there is a correlation somewhere hiding in the woodpile.:eek::mad::confused::eek: