The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in starting to reload .30-30 cartridges for my 1984 Marlin 336CS lever action rifle. I have a Lee (hand) reloader press and already reload my .44 Mag. cartridges.

Looking for advice on the top 2-3 Reloading powders for a .30-30 cartridge?
Also if you have some rationale for your choice, that would be wonderful.
Finally, does anyone have the min-max pressure spec ratings for the 1984 Marlin 336CS barrel?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Is that the press you use a plastic mallet with? If so doesn't it come with one powder measure and one load for it? Been a long time. If it does, there should be a powder that measure works with.

·
Premium Member
7,580 Posts
IMR 3031, IMR 4064 and BL-C2 all work well in my Winchester 94. I hear a lot about Hodgdon Leverevolution powder, but I haven't tried it yet.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is that the press you use a plastic mallet with? If so doesn't it come with one powder measure and one load for it? Been a long time. If it does, there should be a powder that measure works with.

No. It’s the “V” vice hand loader. Works much like the table loaders. But you hold it in your two hands. Unfortunately I don’t have space for a table setup.

·
Super Moderator
41,418 Posts
No. It’s the “V” vice hand loader. Works much like the table loaders. But you hold it in your two hands. Unfortunately I don’t have space for a table setup.
I used to have one of those. I did use it to completely reload some ammo, but the main thing I used it for was de-priming a bunch of brass when I was away from home. That was way before the Frankford Arsenal hand deprimer came along. I think I ended up giving it to someone here on the forum.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I feel it's my obligation to ask if you have checked your loading manual(s).

For powders? ...or the barrel pressure specs? There are many powders listed, but I was looking for some practical, experiential knowledge/recommendation. I’ve had people say to use IMR 8208 XBR, and IMR 4320, and yet another say to use H335. Just wondering if there was 1 or 2 brands that most people who reload use for hunting / target shooting. As for the barrel pressure specs, I have not, but I will check the book and see if it does provide any such info for the Marlin 336 CS. I’ve searched on-line but so far have not found the barrel spec info. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,018 Posts
IMR 3031, IMR 4064 and BL-C2 all work well in my Winchester 94. I hear a lot about Hodgdon Leverevolution powder, but I haven't tried it yet.
I’ve only seen that leverevolution powder used on the FTX bullet. I went with the Win 748. Even Hornady said it was the best for accuracy on the FTX.

·
Super Moderator
41,418 Posts
I don't think the reloading manuals will give you any information on barrel pressure specs, so yes I meant brands of powder.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I used to have one of those. I did use it to completely reload some ammo, but the main thing I used it for was de-priming a bunch of brass when I was away from home. That was way before the Frankford Arsenal hand deprimer came along. I think I ended up giving it to someone here on the forum.

I’ve been shooting since I was 17.5 yrs, but only started reloading recently. So i’m still relatively new to this side of it. When I get a permenant workspace , I will certainly upgrade my reloading setup.

·
Super Moderator
41,418 Posts
When I started out, I used one of the "hammer operated" rigs that Don mentioned. I reloaded a whole lot of .38 specials and 30.06 with those two sets. I didn't even know there was such thing as a manual. The paper in the box gave you a list of powders and there was that little yellow scoop for a powder measure! When I actually learned about hand loading, it scared me that I used that method of reloading.

·
Premium Member
10,332 Posts
That half year is important ;)

I use the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, Speer and Hornady manuals. Before you jump in to things I suggest you invest in a manual and read it thoroughly. As to wanting two powders, every rifle and shooter are unique so you’re going to get several different answers.

·
Premium Member
7,580 Posts
30-30 is a nice easy cartridge to reload, it's a great place to start. Since you're loading for a lever action with a tubular magazine. you'll want to full length resize every time, and use flat point or round nose bullets, or those flex tip leverevolution bullets from Hornaday. As for powders, the 30 WCF isn't too picky. Choose one or two that your bullet manufacturer provides data for.

As Firpo and gdmoody advised, get a manual or 2 from the bullet manufacturers or Lyman. There's a ton of invaluable info in all of the major brands' manuals. I have a dozen or so. Also, read all the sticky threads at the top of this Forum, a wealth of info is contained in those threads.

Ask questions, don't be shy. Be wary of web recipes; stick with published data, start low and work up. Someone else's pet load may not work for you and if they make a mistake in transposing the data you could get hurt. Stick with published data.

·
Registered
7,999 Posts
You are asking about powder recommendations for the .30-30. I try to load mine for best accuracy, as well as keeping my ammunition as close to commercial ammo as possible. I've found IMR-3031 to do both very well. As the .30-30 is a fairly short to medium range caliber, and the biggest game you are likely to hunt with is maybe Mule Deer size at ranges 150 to 200 yards max (for me), I choose 150 grain round nose bullets designed for that caliber. I can go with 170s - buy why? A good hit with a 150 will kill a mule deer as dead as will a 170 grain bullet.

You are new to reloading. Couple of things: load ONLY from data you get from a published manual (never-ever use your buddy Bubba's 'Hot-dang-gee-whiz' load data UNLESS you find that data in a reliable published manual). Did I mention 'NEVER'?

The other thing is to work up your loads carefully. Hotter seldom means 'better'. Hotter loads will only beat up your rifle, your brass, and you - and seldom produce really good accuracy. When working up your loads, be patient and work up from the beginning load in your manual using the components listed in that manual. Remember that there is a reason why the Good Lord decided to list 'MAXIMUM LOAD' data - stay clear of it.;)

Starting off - you don't want to experiment. A good powder scale is an absolute must-have. You can dink around with those powder dippers and such - but you need to know exactly how much powder you are dumping into your cases. A little goes a long way, and too much will separate you from your body parts.

Why do I load close to factory specifications? If it wasn't any good the factories wouldn't be selling million of rounds of it every year, and if I ever fall into a Fountain of Youth and start hunting again, if I run short of ammo on a hunting trip to Po Dunk in the middle of nowhere, I can buy ammo for my rifle and at least be aiming in the general direction of where my rifle hits with my ammo.

·
Super Moderator
28,129 Posts
I have always had great results in my 336 with H335 and Rem Core-Lokt 150 bullets.

·
Registered
103 Posts
IMR-3031, Win. 748, Reloader 15 Any should work great with bullets of 150-170 grs.
Thank you. I will definitely look into these options.

Thank you. I’ll check these options out, too.

When I started out, I used one of the "hammer operated" rigs that Don mentioned. I reloaded a whole lot of .38 specials and 30.06 with those two sets. I didn't even know there was such thing as a manual. The paper in the box gave you a list of powders and there was that little yellow scoop for a powder measure! When I actually learned about hand loading, it scared me that I used that method of reloading.
Those scoops scare me, too. I have/use an electronic scale to weigh out the charges for my .44 Mag loads.

·
Registered
103 Posts
That half year is important ;)

I use the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, Speer and Hornady manuals. Before you jump in to things I suggest you invest in a manual and read it thoroughly. As to wanting two powders, every rifle and shooter are unique so you’re going to get several different answers.
I currently the Modern Reloading, 2nd Ed. by Lee. I’m looking at purchasing the Lyman Reloading Handbook as i’ve Read that their (powder) load data can differ greatly. Would be good to see/compare data and recommended load ranges for any given powder. Not looking to push limits and build ‘hot loads’. Just looking for better ballistic consistency / performance of loads and hopefully a cost savings. (Cost savings seems to be a given as you have zero case cost after the first case loading. And zero case costs from day one if you can acquire free brass from your local range.). Thanks!

30-30 is a nice easy cartridge to reload, it's a great place to start. Since you're loading for a lever action with a tubular magazine. you'll want to full length resize every time, and use flat point or round nose bullets, or those flex tip leverevolution bullets from Hornaday. As for powders, the 30 WCF isn't too picky. Choose one or two that your bullet manufacturer provides data for.

As Firpo and gdmoody advised, get a manual or 2 from the bullet manufacturers or Lyman. There's a ton of invaluable info in all of the major brands' manuals. I have a dozen or so. Also, read all the sticky threads at the top of this Forum, a wealth of info is contained in those threads.

Ask questions, don't be shy. Be wary of web recipes; stick with published data, start low and work up. Someone else's pet load may not work for you and if they make a mistake in transposing the data you could get hurt. Stick with published data.

Great advice. Thank you!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts