1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17,280 Posts
Try again. Pix didn't show.

·
Registered
61 Posts
They look like some that I had. No powder just the priming compound. Low powered. Mine had an acorn stamped on them.

·
Registered
17,280 Posts
You got a BB Cap, a CB Cap, a Short, a Long and a Long Rifle. From left to right.

·
Registered
17,280 Posts
BB Cap was a "Bulleted Breech" cap. Just a round ball on what was, originally, a percussion cap. The CB Cap was an updated version of the same thing, but now they put a Conical Bullet on the cap.

CCI now makes both CB Shorts and CB Longs, but they ain't the same.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So am I to presume that they would fire a projectile? Not that I am going to try, just curious. and thanks for the answer, I had never seen anything like this before.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
They were designed to fire, but time can take it's toll on old ammo, they might not fire today.

·
Registered
17,280 Posts
Oh, absolutely.

Aguila makes a similar item, nowadays. Colibri. Same size as a 22 Long Rifle, so it works in magazines easier, and it easier to handle. But there is no powder in it. The bullet is only 20 grains, instead of a normal Long Rifle's 40, and the only propellant is the primer. About 400 fps or so, out of a 4" pistol. Rifles are slower, because of the drag caused by the friction of going down the barrel. If you have a real long barrel - 24 inches or more - it might not even make it out.

·
Premium Member
10,359 Posts
I have no experience with the BB cap, but have fired all the rest - and yes, they do indeed fire the lead projectile.

When my horse was just a two year old and we were training each other, I decided I wanted to be able to shot from the saddle. I started with my Ruger single six firing CB caps, which were still available then. The report was quite low. As she got used to the sound, I progressed up to the Long Rifle, then on to louder calibers
After several months, I could fire my .44 mag from the saddle and she would not even flinch.

·
Premium Member
8,008 Posts
I''m glad somebody actually knew the answer because all I could come up with from R to left is: Long Rifle, Long, Short, Shorter, and Shortest. :)

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'm old enough to remember the "shooting gallery" at carnivals and fairs. There were Winchester pump 22s cabled to the counter and you would be given a rifle with 15, 22 shorts to shoot at all the moving targets.

·
Registered
17,280 Posts
The Long has the 29 grain bullet of the short, and a heavier powder charge than the short, but lighter than the long rifle.

First there was the Short. They made the case longer and put in more powder, to make it more powerful, and called it the Long. Later they made it more powerful, and put in a heavier (40 grain) bullet, and called it the Long Rifle. Undoubtedly because the term "magnum" had not yet be attached to ammo. Otherwise the 22 LR would most likely be the 22 Magnum, and what we call the 22 Magnum today would be the 22 Super Mag, or some other such silliness.

The 22 Long Rifle, pretty much, killed the 22 Long. ANYTHING the Long could do, the Long Rifle could do better. Like the 2 3/4" 12 gauge killed the 2 1/2" one.

Longs can still be found, if you search hard enough. Be prepared to pay for them, though. They will cost at least twice, and quite possibly three or four times as much as Long Rifles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts