The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Came upon a 49 round box of this type. Naver seen it before.Any ideas?
I have no idea what these are but would like to find out. I have 49 of them , copper jacketed OAL 1.260 .307 dia.
cover of box is red and says Reminton Bullets. Appears to have some type of bullet tip i have never encountered before. Box marked as such.
.30 cal. O or C PFD
180 gr. BZE PTD

·
Super Moderator
41,418 Posts
I did a google search for the way you put the last two lines of your post and found this thread and the one where you are trying to sell them on the New Jersey Gun Forum.

Don't know what they are but evidently a 180 grain 30 caliber bullet.

BTW, welcome to The Firearms Forum.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Worth a deer a piece if you can hit your mark.. ;)

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
While they dropped the .308" 180gr Bronze Point from the reloading components lineup, you can still get them in factory loaded ammo.
You can still get 150gr Bronze Points as reloading components.

Current pricetag for 150gr Bronze Points is around $40 per 100....so about $20 for 50 if that box is still full. And that's to a guy that already has a load worked up for them. No sense in spending time to work up a handload for a discontinued bullet.

The Bronze Point is Remington's entry into the "protected tip" bullet genre. Winchester had the SilverTip.
Remington used a bronze tip inserted into the nose of the bullet.
Winchester used an aluminum cap over the lead core.
Both protected the nose from getting battered up during recoil.
The Remington is actually the granddaddy to the Nosler Ballistic Tip and all these other tipped designs on the market these days.

·
Registered
672 Posts
180 gr for those oversized jack rabbit's with horns?? a little bit overkill isn't it?? :D :D
Come on JLA, I'm jerkin your chain here, no response? :D :D

Honestly though, I do know first hand that there are some monster deer in TX, I lived in San Antoinio for a few years and hunted the hill country, as they call it, from Bandera to Kerrville, those whitetails are pretty small, but certainly no shortage of them, that's for sure,

I grew up in corn country and have seen some big healthy grain fed deer, but the biggest deer I ever had a chance at was in extreme So. TX brush country, so thick you can't see 10 ft into it, we got invited by our neighbor to go down there to a 5500 acre hunting ranch that his employer owned, he had never hunted and asked us to go, there was a nice cabin that would sleep about 16 people, full kitchen, tons of food in the pantry and in 2 large freezers, this properety had dozer cut "roads" criss crossing the property, with at least a dozen water tower type stands set at an intersection here and there, this is the only way it possible to hunt this land at all, even if you drove and saw something, it disappeared into the uber thick brush,

The neighbor and I were in one stand, and Dad was in another, on the 2nd day, late in the afternoon, just before final light, the biggest deer that I have ever seen on the hoof, stepped out of the brush and stood in the middle of the dozer trail about 150 yrds, he was easy to see through the scope, but not so much with the naked eye due to low light, I told my neighbor, there is a huge buck, I'm going to pop him, my neighbor had buck fever pretty bad, and he couldn't locate the deer with his eyes, or through his scope, he says, I don't see him, so I say again, I'm going to pop him, I settled down on him with the scope, flipped off the safety, tightened up on the trigger, and exactly when I squeezed off, my neighbor decided to move around me to try and see the deer, of course his movement shook the stand, only a little, but it was more than enough, I cleanly missed, he didn't even realize what really happened, we climbed down, walked down to where the deer had been standing, and with a flashlight you could clearly see his tracks and where he had been standing, along with the bullet impact in the ground, right between where the deers front and back feet where when I shot,

So there are definately some big deer in TX, I just have no proof, other than the memory,

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Sorry, been busy.. There are some big deer here, supposedly, But ive never seen any. Got some monster hogs though. And 180 gr .30 cal is perfect for dense brush hunting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts