The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought the lot of reloading supplies from a co-worker, I had close to 360 rounds of these rounds. There are 2 questions I need to ask about them.

What are these?
What would be the best way to clean them?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
oh yeah, the second question, cleaning. I'm sure there will be better responses but possibly some ammonia solution and lot's of elbow grease, maybe even some light/fine steel wool for stubborn spots.

But no need to get them looking pretty, as long as they function properly, you can shoot some pretty ugly stuff safely!

biggest concern is getting the most of the corrosion off of the bullet itself and knock most of it off the case.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Twin Cities Ordnance Plant, Minneapolis, MN would have been making ammunition to fill U.S. Military ammo contracts, so I doubt it's 7mm or 8mm stuff.

I note that it's got a black tip on the projectile, so that means that it's AP. My guess is that it's .30-06 for the Korean War era belt-fed of the day. It'll work in a BAR and Garrand too.

I've cleaned corroded ammo like that up in my tumbler before. No it doesn't harm anything and no it won't set-off the ammo in any way. Steel wool will be required for some of the stubborn stuff, but the truth is even dirty ammo like that will fire just fine. It's just not pretty & shiny to look at.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
yeah, I agree that it looks like 30-06 with that headstamp; just threw out the mauser at first, shoulda deleted it, the pic makes the taper look different.

and the one you show there, I would be totally comfortable with loading and shooting that round as is! Ugly, but still will go boom.

·
Registered
18,158 Posts
Don't know as I'd shoot it - would need to clean off the corrosion and look at the surface of the brass.

Would not use ammonia, though. Heard too many times about how ammonia weakens brass.

·
Super Moderator
31,940 Posts
I'm with Alpo, I'sd want to see how much damage there is under that corrosion before I'd be willing to touch off any of it.
And again, no ammonia.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I text the pictures to a fellow reloader in my plant to see if he may know. I have been told before that they are 30.06, but want to make sure before I tried to shoot them.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
also would be good to pull out the calipers to measure and make sure.

I've heard of people using ammonia for cleaning solution in their tumbler but for certain would not recommend that. But a rag or steel wool with a small amount to wipe and then clean off should be OK I would think? I guess just avoid it to be safe.

Even just a good once over with a rag or fine steel wool should be plenty to remove most of it, enough to inspect and fire.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Twin cities 30/06 AP --
I cant read the number clearly but if 1950 it is corossive primed --
1953 is marginal --may or may not be -- I forget exact change over date.
The brass only needs to cleaned well enough to chamber -- But it should be checked for big pits --

·
Registered
18,158 Posts
Twin Cities Arsenal changeover info. If you don't know the lot number, the only safe way to tell is by headstamp.

Type: .30-'06 AP
Lot Number: 19776
Date: February 1952
First SAFE Headstamp: TW 53

Handy little page to bookmark

http://www.odcmp.org/1101/USGI.pdf

·
Premium Member
34,364 Posts
Do not use brass polish, most of this stuff has ammonia in it. Like some of the others here, I would have to clean it to see how much damage to the brass before shooting.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
My advise to to use caution if tumbling it. The danger isn't really it going off, but that the powder granules might be sufficiently rubbed together and create a fine powder layer, as well as rub off any retardant, depending on the powder used.
This could create a faster initial burn and a spike in pressure.
Just a caution.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have some that look like that from a belt for a 30 cal. machine gun that I have from Viet Nam. The only difference there was an orange tip tracer in the belt. We used to shoot them in our 30/06. I still have some, somewhere in some 30 cal ammo cans.

·
Registered
19,202 Posts
Tumbler won't clean it off, I have tried to no avail!! I didn't leave it but about 24 hours.
that's surprising.

I've cleaned steel cased 762x54r in my tumbler with walnut media to remove surface rust and it shined it up fully.

must be some kind of resin if it won't tumble clean?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.