The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm in the LGS and the more I checked out a Colt Defender in .45, the more I liked it. Application wise I would likely carry it some, but really I just want it. . .

Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with this weapon? Thanks in advance.

Tom

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
It's a Colt! I would buy it, but don't have any experience with this particular gun.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
I own one and it was my primary carry for a few yrs. I can shoot it almost as well as a full size 1911. Great little 45s. I wouldnt hesitate to buy it.

Reactions: Sugarfoot

·
Registered
97 Posts
If money is no object or the firearm is in the budget than you can never go wrong with a colt in good condition. I have fired the defender but i do not own one. I liked the way it cycles and feeds the rounds. I did have a small question on gumming of the action with non factory shells. The firearm seamed to run a little worm with mag after mag being run through it. I would say buy it, with this in mind use only quality ammo and reloads only from your own bench. there should be no problems after that . shoot well

bigdad5

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
If money is no object or the firearm is in the budget than you can never go wrong with a colt in good condition. I have fired the defender but i do not own one. I liked the way it cycles and feeds the rounds. I did have a small question on gumming of the action with non factory shells. The firearm seamed to run a little worm with mag after mag being run through it. I would say buy it, with this in mind use only quality ammo and reloads only from your own bench. there should be no problems after that . shoot well

bigdad5
You experienced gumming of the action on a colt defender? You mention "non factory" shells, could you clarify this please? I have owned a defender for 5 years and have fired hundreds upon hundreds of rounds thru it including reloads and have never experienced any issues whatsoever. There is nothing different about the action or function of this firearm than any other 1911. Any gun will run warm if you run mag after mag thru it.....the defender should actually do better dispersing heat since its frame is made of aluminum alloy..

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
I want one.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
They make a great carry piece...

Attachments

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I brought it home today. Hopefully I'll pop its cherry in the near future.

·
Premium Member
9,885 Posts
Nice. I know you will enjoy it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Double D to answer your question in follow up the one I fired was shooting older hot reloads that must have been degrading as I said older ammo. The powder was more melting than burning and it was showing some gum up problems. I also indicated that once new factory ammo was used there were no more signs of bad things. But I did love the firearm was very smooth and it seamed to be total burr less. Shoot well

bigdad5

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I just got home from the range, no problems with the gun. Me on the other hand, is another story. I found myself limp wristing and anticipating the shot. Back to basics for me. The manual does not discourage dry firing. Is it okay to repeatedly dry fire this gun?

Tom

1 - 15 of 15 Posts