What brass polish do you use

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by streetbob, Nov 17, 2012.

1. streetbob

streetbob Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I was wondering what brass polish do you guys use? I currently use Frankford Arsenal Brass Polish and I like it, but it's kinda expensive. I usually get 2,000+- rounds per 8oz bottle at $8.00 each. I heard some people use stuff like Nu Finish, but I don't want something that will degrade the powder in any way. Thanks!

2. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

I don't use any polish except what might be in the Lyman green corncob media.

3. Twicepop

Twicepop Well-Known Member

For 30+ years I've been using crushed walnut hulls, treated with jewlers rouge in my case tumbler. For cases that I don't tumble, I use a gizmo (technical term) that I bought from Sinclairs. It has a spud that goes into a drill, this piece is male threaded and has a centering button that goes into the primer pocket. The other piece has a slot specific to case rim diameter size and screws down together to hold the cases against the centering button. The cases are spun, cleaned and polished with ( I use 4-0 steel wool or gray Scotch Brite). It cleans all but the grungiest cases to look as good as or better than new, but is very time consuming as you can only do one at a time.

those who beat their guns into plowshares, will plow for those who didn't

4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Well-Known Member

I got a good deal on some Lymans and I had a few bottles of Dillon polish in a lot of reloading equipt that I bought. they're all about the same IMO. I've used Roosters and a few others too, but I really can't tell a distinct difference that makes one better than the others; my advice, get what is the best buy.

5. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Nu finish car wax or that wax 2000 in the chartreuse bottle.

6. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

Corn cob and nu-finish for polishing, walnut for cleaning any really skanky looking stuff. The nu-finish won't degrade your powder or brass.

7. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

NONE...It is a wasted step.

Ammo is for shooting and not for posing. It needs to be clean for sizing so as to not hurt the sizing die (can make scratches in all sized cases if the die gets scratched internally).

There is no point is polishing cases other than what you get in a vibratory cleaner and Walnut Shell Media which cleans better than the corn cob media (which polishes better right over the stains).

But we all get to choose and no polish is my choice.

LDBennett

8. RustyFN

RustyFN Member

I use Nu Finish because it's only a wasted step for some. For me the shiny cases are a lot easier to find in the gravel at the range. The cases also don't tarnish after handling them. I have some cases in a five gallon bucket that have been in there for three to four years and still look like the day they came out of the tumbler. I use 50/50 walnut/cob with 1/2 cap full of Nu Finish. I get it for $2 at a discount place by my work. One $2 bottle cleaned around 20,000 cases or more.

9. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Active Member

10. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

I'm with LD. No polish for me either. I run my cases in crushed walnut all night. To me they're shinny enough at that point. And if they aren't, oh well don't effect the way they shoot.

11. streetbob

streetbob Well-Known Member

Okay thanks for your input guys. I will be picking me up a bottle of Nu Finish tomorrow. I know you don't need to polish the cases, I just like the shine and like mentioned above they are easier to spot on the ground.