The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a Shield 9mm, but 9mm ammo is very hard to find and reload supplies are even harder to find.

What alternative caliber would you recommend getting for better availability?

I was considering getting a .40S&W because I can find components to build ammo, but I see many reports that .40S&W is a dying caliber.

Thank you in advance!

·
The Ole Gun Crank
768 Posts
38/357 wheel gun

All most everything for 9mm is hard to get. I finally found some brass and 125gr fmj bullets locally, /my nephew showed up with some range brass and 200 rounds of 115fmj. I am waiting on my dies ordered them from a shop in WV. and they were shipped out of Texas "who knew".. Bullets are really hard to find and Sierras going for $25/hundred. Ill get a mold next and cast RN.
most every thing is out of stock on the web.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
38/357 wheel gun

All most everything for 9mm is hard to get. I finally found some brass and 125gr fmj bullets locally, /my nephew showed up with some range brass and 200 rounds of 115fmj. I am waiting on my dies ordered them from a shop in WV. and they were shipped out of Texas "who knew".. Bullets are really hard to find and Sierras going for $25/hundred. Ill get a mold next and cast RN.
most every thing is out of stock on the web.
Ammo is out there but it ain’t cheap........

https://ammoseek.com/

·
Super Moderator
38,385 Posts
I have a couple of .40S&W pistols, a Sig and a Beretta. I don't even shoot them anymore and the last time I did, I didn't waste the time or energy to bend over and pick up the brass.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Have you ever considered a 10mm?

There isn't enough difference between a 9mm and a 40 S&W to matter. The 10mm is a large step up in power from either the 9 or 40. A Glock 20/40 or Springfield XDm10 gives you 15+1 of basically 357mag ballistics. Just something for you to consider.

·
Registered
788 Posts
...consider also that a 10mm revolver adds the versatility of 10mm / 40S&W.
Have you ever considered a 10mm?

There isn't enough difference between a 9mm and a 40 S&W to matter. The 10mm is a large step up in power from either the 9 or 40. A Glock 20/40 or Springfield XDm10 gives you 15+1 of basically 357mag ballistics. Just something for you to consider.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I was told the .40 S&W was developed because the FBI went to the 10mm & couldn't control the guns enough to get good follow up shots. So the .40 S&W gave them more control with close to the same punch.
I conceal carry a 9mm but I open carry a .40 S&W when hunting for more punch.

·
Garandaholic
9,375 Posts
Your 9 is a brick w/o ammo, but this isn't going to last forever.
If Trump wins, 9 will plummet in price.
If Biden wins, they're coming for them all, having a 9 or 40 won't matter. Perhaps you'll be able to have what you already own be grandfathered, so if you can buy a .40 with a big supply of ammo, that might be an option.
Or, just pay the price and get some 9 to hold you over and hope for Trump.

Reactions: M&P48

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I was told the .40 S&W was developed because the FBI went to the 10mm & couldn't control the guns enough to get good follow up shots. So the .40 S&W gave them more control with close to the same punch.
I conceal carry a 9mm but I open carry a .40 S&W when hunting for more punch.
The 40 S&W is not close to the same punch as a 10mm when the 10 is loaded to full power. Very little published data reaches the full potential of the 10mm. I could give many examples from my own loading but feel that posting that kind of load data isn't prudent.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts