The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently inherited an old spanish revolver. I can't figure out what caliber it is. Can anyone help me figure this out? Its been re-blued and I guess the caliber was polished off. Stamped on top of the barrel is Garate Anitua & Cia Eibar (Espana). Six shots. Wood checkered grips. Double action. it has a small ring on the bottom of the handle. And the only numbers I can see are also on the bottom of the handle 75912. The picture I have enclosed are not of my actual pistol. The only difference between mine and the one in the picture is that mine has been re-blued and the serial number.
Kurt

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think this revolver is a spanish copy of a Colt Police Positive but not too sure. It may be chambered in .32 S&W Long. Measurements of the inside diameter of the bore, and cylinder bullet chambers given in millimeters might provide a clue. I am not by any means an expert but have seen a revolver like yours and it was chambered .32 S&W Long. Get measurements, that would help.

·
Registered
17,569 Posts
I have seen similar guns chambered in 32 S&W Long, 32/20 Winchester, 38 Long Colt and 38 Special. Without some measurements there really is no way to tell.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Registered
17,569 Posts
Won't go in the hole, or too long?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went to a gun shop today and the mman gave me a gunsmiths card and told me go there and have him wax the cylinder. never heard of that before.

·
Registered
17,569 Posts
I've never heard it phrased that way, but I presume he meant the gunsmith would make a chamber cast. They use a material called cerrosafe. It gives an accurate measure of the inside of a chamber. Then you measure the casting to find out what cartridge it takes.

Maybe he said "cast the cylinder", and you misheard him as "wax".

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
Some folks do use wax instead of Cerrosafe. It is OK as long as a precise measurement is not needed as it shrinks when hardening, which Cerrosafe does not.

In any case, and IMHO, any caliber in that gun is trouble. Garate y Anitua guns were among the better ones, but even they are weak and I would strongly recommend not firing that gun, period.

Jim

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have one too and most likely it's an 8mm label revolver

Antonio Errasti

This revolver is not a Smith & Wesson 1907, nor even a copy of this revolver.

It is acted in fact of a Spanish copy of the Colt Army Special of 1908, manufactured by Antonio Errasti in Eibar in Spain.

These revolvers resulted normally gauges .38 of them, but the inscription on the gun of this one clearly that it is with caliber 8 mm, what is called usually the "8 mm

Lebel".

This proves that this weapon belonged to the large quota ordered by the French Army in 1915, time when the

requirements out of handgun were such as the Manufacture of St Etienne could not deliver the orders any more. French being equipped with the famous Lawful Revolver model 1892 in 8 mm, they had asked the Spanish arms manufacturers to deliver these weapons in this caliber. For the latter, boring in 8 mm instead of .38 usual did not constitute a problem.

This revolver is thus what the French collectors call commonly one "92 Spanish".

·
Super Moderator
29,515 Posts
I sure hope they got it figured out by now, this thread is 12 years old.

Reactions: gdmoody
1 - 11 of 11 Posts