The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A friend of mine was given a tumbler, he already had one so he gave it to me. When I got it home I opened it up and found a bunch of this brass in it. What caliber is it? The over all length is about 2 1/4 inches, it tapers from the base up to the shoulder and on the bottom is stamped FNM 50.

·
Registered
18,394 Posts
FNM is both (either) a factory new Mexico City or a factory in Portugal.

While I agree it looks to be 303 Brit, why would either Mexico or Portugal be making 303?

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
INDEP in Portugal made FNM headstamp ammo in many calibers and in both FMJ military and soft-point sporting ammo. They were not just a military contractor. No longer in business.

I got a bunch of '60s & '70s vintage FNM 6.5mm Swede and 8x57mm back in the early '90s from some importer. The 6.5x55 was VERY good quality ammo, I couldn't really tell about the 8x57 since the old K98 I was shooting it out of wasn't really fit to shoot. It was all boxer-primed and the boxes said non-corrosive.

That does look like .303 British to me. Probably a 174gr FMJ mil-spec load.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Looks a lot like .303, or maybe, 7.65 arg...

·
Registered
18,148 Posts
Another bote for .303 brit here too.

·
Registered
18,148 Posts
7.65 argentine is rimless. That bad boys got a rim. I loaded brit for years back in the day. It was one of my fav rounds.

·
Registered
18,394 Posts
Actually, that would be a 7.7 x 56R. Rimmed case. :p

·
Registered
18,148 Posts
yep Alpo is correct because incidentally enough the 7.7 Jap arisaka round is a rimless version of the .303 brit, Cartridge dimensions are identical. Only difference is how the round headspaces on the rifles chamber.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.