The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a real neophyte when it comes to black powder. A genuine 'green horn', newbie.

Unfortunately I ended up with the wrong size ball ammo by online ordering mistake. The shot is 0.440 and I have bought an Uberti 1858 Remington 45 Cal. that the manufacturer recommends 0.451. The 0.440 slides into the cylinders with eases, providing no back pressure for powder burns.

1. Can I safely fire these using some type of wad?

2. Or is it best to just get a .451 mold, melt the lead and remold them to larger size?

3. Is there any additive in store bought shot that would preclude being able to melt the lead and re-mold?

Thanks for any/all recommendation,

Al

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Those are for a .45, but are used with a patch in a rifle or single shot pistol. You could probably sell them on ebay or elsewhere and then order the right ones for the revolver, as far as I know you don't shoot patched balls in a revolver, the patches can jam up in the cylinder/barrel gap, but then again I could be wrong, fairly new to the BP shooting scene myself. I'm sure someone will chime in here that has more experience.

·
Registered
33 Posts
But a .454 mold at least I shoot .457 balls with mine no problem if your casting with pure lead I use these because I have an roa also and only want to make one size ball for all my .44 .451 will be to small probly better bigger than smaller thAts for sure

·
Registered
33 Posts
Btw I'm selling a .454 lee double cavity round ball mold I made about 500 balls with it I'm shooting .457 it's just more convenient

·
TFF Chaplain
20,407 Posts
Welcome to the forum, alloherman. You have found a great place for shooting advice and you should find all the help you need around here.

As said above, you could try trading them in; Second option would be to melt them down and cast new balls; third choice could be to find some creative use for them.

As for correct size: In my 1858 NMA I use .454. My LGS recomended .451, but the larger size works better for me. I put the powder in the cylinder first, then a lubricated wad, then the ball. If there is a small lead "wire" shaved off the ball you have a good seal. Some .44's use .457 balls. I'm not sure which guns they work best in (Pietta vs Uberti, etc.), so read around in this section of the forum and see if that helps.

Brick196--have you posted this on the Buy/Sell/Trade section of the forum--http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ekr05T9Iaio ?

·
Registered
17,280 Posts
They won't work in your gun. No way.

You've got several choices, as I see it. If you plan to cast your own balls anyway, by all means buy a mold and melt these down. There is nothing in the store-bought round balls that would cause a problem.

If you don't want to get into casting (and lots don't), then you can either

Write it off to an "oops" - If you just bought the one box, you're out, maybe, ten bucks. Not a lot in the grand scheme of things.

or

Pass the word down at the gunshop that you have a broken box of 440 balls for sale. If a box of 100 is 10 bucks, and someone said they had a partial for 5, I'd be interested. If at least 80 of 'em were still there. They are not only useful for 45 rifles and single-shot pistols, but can be used in light plinking loads ("gallery loads") in modern 44 pistols (44 special or magnum, or 44/40) and possibly in 45 ACP.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
I'd go with .454 balls. The .451's might work ok but then again they may move under recoil and cause an air space(not good) or lock up the cylinder.

·
Registered
986 Posts
.451 will work but you will need to top it with a felt wad or put bore butter in the cylinders after loading. If ya dont you could have a chain fire. Give me a day to look and see what i have in the line of .454 balls. I will horse trade ya! The .440 ball will work with my rifle's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts