The Firearms Forum banner

What choke tube to use with slugs

17K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  JLA 
#1 ·
I'm planning on turning my bird shotgun into a home/woods defense gun during the off season. It's a SBE II and I picked up some Winchester hollow point rifled slugs. What choke should I screw into the gun? Will these slugs damage my barrel at all?

#2 ·
Cylinder, Improved Cylinder or Modified will all work fine. Do not use Full

#4 ·
the more open it is, generally speaking of course, and pertaining to the use of rifled slugs only, the more accurate it will shoot. But it is a shotgun with bead sights, i wouldnt expect MOA;)

If you can find a rifled choke tube you will get better accuracy from both rifled slugs and sabot slugs from a smooth bore.

#6 ·
Ok, can i safely shoot sabot slugs through it? Like you said, i'm not looking for accuracy. Any encounter that may happen will be inside 15 yards.
With sabots using an Improved Cyl. or Modified will work better as they are meant to be fired from a rifled barrel and the small restriction will help stabilize them.

The reason for using a Cyl. or Skeet choke for rifled slugs to to prevent them from being distorted as they run through a choke restriction, no so with saboted slugs, the plastic sabot protects the slugs from distortion.

#7 ·
Ok, can i safely shoot sabot slugs through it? Like you said, i'm not looking for accuracy. Any encounter that may happen will be inside 15 yards.
yes its safe. no its not very accurate. At 15 yards youl likely hit what you aim at with a sabot slug, but why pay the premium for sabot rounds when good ol rifled slugs are cheaper and more accurate from a smoothbore. Keep in mind a 1 oz rifled slug is going to hit much harder than a 250 gr sabot bullet. The sabot rounds were designed for use in fully rifled bores like the remy cantilever slug guns and the H&R ultra slug hunter rifles. They extend the effective range of a 'shotgun' out to 200 yds accurately. to do this requires more velocity and a means of transferring twist to a smaller lighter projectile.

If youre hunting at very close range with slugs get a box of remington buck hammer rifled slugs. they hit like a mack truck full of bricks at point blank range.

#8 ·
I have shot slugs out of a full choke barrel. At 15 yds they will hit where you point it. I have been able to hit out to 75 yds with slugs in a full choke barrel, but you will be shooting way left of target, so you must adjust for point of impact. An improved cylender choke works best, and give you the ability to shoot out to 100 yds with rifled slugs, and you won't have to worry about bullet drift nearly as much.

#9 ·
For personal defense I wouldn't use slugs. 00 or OOO buckshot is excellent at reducing "pests" at 15 to 25 yds. In my experience (35 yrs as a LEO) a shotgun will land 8 out of 9 double 0 pellets in a man sized target at 25 yds....consistantly. I'd use a Mod choke. JMHO Mike

#10 ·
Thats a very good recommendation Mike. I too much prefer buckshot to slugs for close range work.

#11 ·
My shorty is stoked with 00 buck, as is all my shot guns. I can't tell you how many deer I have killed with 00buck.

#12 ·
grandads the same way myles, Hes got an old double SxS 20 that he keeps 3" '000' for deer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.