What Coating is On Remington "Golden Bullets"

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns Guest

dawg23
    (2/17/03 8:20:45 pm)
    Reply What Coating is On Remington "Golden Bullets"
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Who can tell me what kind of coating Remington places on their "Golden Bullets?"

I assumed it was some kind of copper (like the Winchester Super-X or the CCI Minimags). But handling the Remington ammo leaves my fingers covered with grey crud (looks like lead), and the copper plated ammo doesn't do that.

Thanks

z537z
    (2/17/03 9:13:47 pm)
    Reply coating
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It's just lead. Soft metal rubs off on your hands is all.

It's worth the mess for the price and reliability in my book, though. 10$/brick!

_z

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/17/03 10:08:28 pm)
    Reply Re: coating
    Sorry ammo....never use it....NASTY!!!!

Bill
    (2/17/03 10:34:58 pm)
    Reply coating
    Don't know about the coating, but the cheapo Rem Gold's have shot tighter groups in my .22 Browning Medalist, Buckmark rifle, and High standard Supermatic than more expensive federal gold medal and classic ammo. I get about one misfire per 50. I want to try the cheapo federal ammo that also goes for about $10 per brick. Bill

z537z
    (2/17/03 11:06:44 pm)
    Reply Federal
    I hear the Federal (which runs higher from what I've seen) fires a lot cleaner than those Rems. Man those things gunk stuff up. What can I say? A buddy has an employee discount at LLBean that carries Golden Bullet and Thunderbolt so I get 500 for like $6.50!

Good luck, lemme know how those Federals work.

_z

stuporman
    (2/17/03 11:48:03 pm)
    Reply Personal preference...
    I personally dont like anything that comes in a jumbo-size box with all the ammo rubbing all over the place.

Then again, I dont like "value meals", "promotional packages", and buying a 5 lb jar of mayonaisse to save a buck or two.

I guess this is only one bit, but its mine

z537z
    (2/18/03 2:55:38 pm)
    Reply stuporman!
    What kind of American are you!

I love value meals, lots of cheapass ammo, extra mayo on everything, and if I could somehow find a way to incorporate shooting with bacon, I'd do it.

Just my bit.

_z

dawg23
    (2/21/03 5:19:20 pm)
    Reply It's Gold Dust
    Since no one could help me with my question, I sent an email to Remington and asked them. Their answer is listed below:

"Thank you for your inquiry. The Golden bullet has a gold powdercoat over the lead projectile.

The powdercoating is not adhered to the lead by any type of adhevise substance, therefore it can be rubbed off, the coating is merely used to assist the feeding of the cartridges."

stuporman
    (2/21/03 6:14:06 pm)
    Reply Good job!!!!
    Great idea to go to the manufacturer.

Unfortunately, their marketing dept seems to have answered the email.

"Golden Powdercoat"...No Sh-t.
    You already knoew that.
    And guess what, you already knew it rubbed off too.

I guess they were about as helpful as we were.

By the way, I don't like Bacon either...gives me gas.
    I like buying exactly what I want, and knowing what I get. That is why I avoid combo meals and generic type stuff. No communistic motives, mind you. I like to buy American, unless its just stupid to do so.
    I drive a Chevy...borderline stupid.

This looks like 3 bits or so...

dawg23
    (2/22/03 12:59:09 pm)
    Reply Marketing Dept. & Customer Loyalty
    Stuporman:

I think You are correct - it was their marketing department that responded. How do I know ??

They ended their email by thanking me "for my loyalty."

I decided to not bother sending a reply to them. If I had replied, it would have been along the following lines:

"Assuming that your recognition of my "loyalty" refers to my allegiance to the US Constitution, to the Bill of Rights and to the American flag, thank you very much. However, if you are presuming that I have any loyalty to your firm's rimfire ammo, you are sadly mistaken."

wsmc667
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/22/03 3:47:08 pm)
    Reply Re: Marketing Dept. & Customer Loyalty
    stuporman writes: I drive a Chevy...borderline stupid

yeah, shoulda got a Ford.

i'm just kidding!!! bought mah ford van over chevvy coz it looks better than the chevvy vans.

chris in sandy eggo

vizslas 1 likes this.