The Firearms Forum banner

What color for front sight?

22K views 12 replies 13 participants last post by  Zebraranger 
#1 ·
I have a couple of firearms where the sights are black and thought I'd just get some Testors to make them more visible. I know I can use HiViz sights but thought I'd give this a shot(no pun intended) first.
Does anyone have any experience as the color that gives the best visibilty under most conditions?

White-Red-Yellow-Orange????

Thanks

#6 ·
The "best" color depends on what you are doing with the gun.

For fast acquiring of the target, brighter colors are helpful. In that same regard dots and glowing dots help to get on the target quickly. There is some accuracy of sighting lost with the dots choices.

But if your eyes are young, and you can get a sharp sight picture, dead black (smoked sights) for target use are the thing to use. A square notch and a square post are the most accurate. There has to be a small of white showing on each side of the front post (absolutely minimal) meaning the front sight and rear sight have to be designed to work together. Of course the target must have a black (or dark colored) bullseye on a white field. Some of us older folks can still use these sights with sighting aids like small apertures that fit on the shooting glasses or glasses mounted magnifiers that pull our deficit ridden eye focus to the front sight.

For accurate shooting nothing beats a scope but Red Dots come close as long as the dot size is small for target shooting.

LDBennett

#7 ·
#9 ·
A single dot of Hi-Vis Orange or Hi-Viz green will work wonders for you.

The emphasis is on SMALL DOT. Aim small, miss small.

#10 ·
A single dot of Hi-Vis Orange or Hi-Viz green will work wonders for you.

The emphasis is on SMALL DOT. Aim small, miss small.
Those are the two colors I found work best depending on light conditions. Orange for most things but sometimes I need the chartreuse and testers works well for me. I keep whiteout in my gun bag for those emergency times when I need a quick color change. I like it because it holds up under fire but is easily removed when I'm done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.