The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Just started collecting
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up this rifle. My buddy says it is a Caranaco. Can someone please help me out? Thanks.
Brown Wood Natural material Floor Wood stain
Brown Wood Wall Flooring Hardwood
Automotive tire Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Human leg
Wood Electric blue Pattern Metal Denim
Bicycle part Motor vehicle Rim Automotive tire Automotive wheel system
Sports equipment Drinkware Ball Gas Wood
Fixture Door Wood Gas Audio equipment
Wood Font Gas Tints and shades Circle
Wood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Rim Bumper

·
Super Moderator
29,971 Posts
It sure looks like a Carcano that has been sporterized. The experts will be around soon with better info.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
It sure looks like a Carcano that has been sporterized. The experts will be around soon with better info.
“It sure looks like a Carcano Bubba edition.”
Fixed that for ya ;) Actually doesn’t look like a bad job.

·
Registered
Just started collecting
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What's a Bubba edition? Lol. I don't even know where to begin on caliber? It's not stamped anywhere.

·
Registered
176 Posts
What's a Bubba edition? Lol. I don't even know where to begin on caliber? It's not stamped anywhere.
Here's a 6.5 MM Italian Carcano. You can see the obvious similarities. "Bubba" in this context is a not very talented self taught gunsmith. I think your rifle looks pretty good.
Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Gun barrel

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
“Bubba edition“ refers rifles, usually old military, modified to better suit the users purpose. Often with somewhat disappointing results. From what I saw yours wasn’t done by Bubba in the garage with a file, some sand paper and a pair of pliers. Looks well done.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
I don't see how you can call that a Bubba edition. It looks very well made.
Some people see any modifications to old military rifles as an assault on the weapons historical value, well done or not. I agree his appears well done and I told him so. It’s a little Sunday morning humor, nothing more nothing less.

·
Premium Member
11,183 Posts
I’d suggest casting yourself or having a chamber casting performed. No telling what cartridge it could actually be. Nice looking rifle!

·
Registered
Just started collecting
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So which one do you guys think it is? A 38 a 41. I'll start looking for the correct furniture to try to restore it back to what it should be. Thanks for all your help guys. I greatly appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
29,971 Posts
With the bent bolt, I'm leaning towards 38.

·
Super Moderator
29,971 Posts
With the bent bolt, I'm leaning towards 38.
I'm going to take that back. The barrel looks to long to be a 38, they only had a 20 1/2" barrel. The 91/41 has a 27" barrel. The bolt handle could've been bent when it was sporterized.
I would suggest taking it to a gunsmith and have a casting made of the chamber.

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Registered
6,426 Posts
I would leave it alone...it's only worth about 2-250$.....good hunting rifle-Have gunsmith check headspace....my buddy bought one last year for 225$,only ammo he found was PPU___he's shooting it and I noticed after shot 10,it sounded weird,checked out brass-----EVERY one was missing primer.

·
Registered
Just started collecting
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I measured the barrel where it would be screwed in at. I was getting exactly 23" where it screws into the action. The back sight is fixed but has a Parr that flips up.

·
Super Moderator
29,971 Posts
Maybe it's been rebarreled.

·
Premium Member
13,545 Posts
I think your sporterized rifle looks so much better than the original military stock. I am not one that really cares for the sporterized stocks on military rifles,but in this case I would leave it as it is now.
Ditto.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts