The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A friend just game me some casting supplies. The reason I took the box was that there were about 200 cast, and lubed bullets, and two double molds. One is a RCBS 38-150-KT, and the other is a RCBS 45-201-kt, I can use both molds to make bullets for 38/357, and for my 1911. What I need help with is the loose bullets that were in the box. I thought they were .45 caliber, but all that I have miked are .40 - .41 in diameter, and weigh in at around 246 - 248 grains. They are all Keith style wadcutters. Are these .40 caliber bullets? If they are I'll just melt them down re-cast them.

·
Registered
548 Posts
You have the best idea. Melt them down and recast to a caliber you can use. I suggest you try LEE alox bullet lube. Works well for me, and no need for special presses/. Just follow directions, and spray it on, then allow time for it to dry. This lube covers the whole bullet. not just fills the grooves with grease. I've used it on everything from 45/70 to .243I took a deer this past season with a .303 savage 180 gr cast bullet and 4227 powder.

·
Registered
17,292 Posts
That's awful heavy for 40 caliber - they usually max out at 180. I've got a 41 magnum mold that throws a .410 240 SWC, so that would be my guess.

·
Super Moderator
28,096 Posts
I'd just melt down the loose ones and pour something that you know is right. They sure aint no 45 cal pills.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a cheap claiper from Harbor Freight, and I'm now thinking this is my problem. I first tried to seat the bullets in a .45 case, and they just drop down into it. I then tried a .44 case, and they looked good, so I resized the case, and flared the mouth, and they are looking good. I then took some of my own advice and started measuring store bought bullets, and guess what, they measured the same for .44 caliber, coming in at .41. I'm going to load some of them up as .44 caliber, somewhere around 1,000fps, and shoot them in my Black Hawk. If they work there, I'll load them in the Bull Dog, and give them a try. And I'll be buying me a decent set of calipers!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Carver, Yes get a new set of calipers... Those harbor freight ones are worthless!
My father in law bought one when he wanted to reload and I came up with mine and showed him how Off the one he had was.

Doc

·
Registered
986 Posts
STOP CARVER!!!! .410 OD is for the 41 Remington Mag. 44 REM Mag is a .429. OD. A .401 OD is for the 40 S&W/10mm or the 38-40 WIN.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
STOP CARVER!!!! .410 OD is for the 41 Remington Mag. 44 REM Mag is a .429. OD. A .401 OD is for the 40 S&W/10mm or the 38-40 WIN.
I haven't loaded any of them yet, I'm waiting on a new dial caliper. They do fit very well into the .44 dummy cases I have worked up, but I will have to check them properly before I load em up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts